Question about mail sent from Coral Princess

cheeseclan

Hello,

We just returned from the Coral Princess NB AK cruise. While on there my DS finished up writing his thank you cards for his graduation gifts. I had them stamped and addressed so all was good. The passenger services person said no problem with just dropping them in the mail box right there and that they would be picked up and mailed that day.

They were put in the box on May 30 in Juneau. No one has seen any of the cards. We are not happy to hear this since now he has to resend them to all once again.

Has anyone had experience with this? Does this normally take this long or are they lost?

Thanks

Hello,

We just returned from the Coral Princess NB AK cruise. While on there my DS finished up writing his thank you cards for his graduation gifts. I had them stamped and addressed so all was good. The passenger services person said no problem with just dropping them in the mail box right there and that they would be picked up and mailed that day.

They were put in the box on May 30 in Juneau. No one has seen any of the cards. We are not happy to hear this since now he has to resend them to all once again.

Has anyone had experience with this? Does this normally take this long or are they lost?

Thanks

It's very typical......

It will most likely be weeks or months. Maybe never.

Not unusual. Mail is sent "whenever." It's not necessarily sent from the next port. If you want anything mailed, find a post office or post box on land.

It's very typical......

It will most likely be weeks or months. Maybe never.

This problem is not limited to the Coral Princess or even to Alaska.

There have been many posts on Cruise Critic about mail handed to the ship to mail in many places in the world. The mail usually arrives after a number of weeks or never at all.

Not known if the problem is with Princess, port agent, or Post Office.

If it's a U.S. address and Princess placed the mail in a Vancouver mailbox, it is possible there was not enough postage. Same problem mailing to Canada address from a U.S. post office. Best to mail at a land based Post Office. Another tip if mailing to the U.S. from another country don't forget to put U.S.A. in the address. Same country tip applies to other countries.

I have never mailed anything from the ship but now I am curious. I am going on an AK cruise next month and I am going to send a postcard or letter to myself placing it into the hands of the ship. It will be an interesting experiment. Stay tuned.

This was mailed in Juneau AK bound for the US. The passenger services person said no problem, just drop in box and it will get picked up and mailed today. Yeah, right! Son is now rewriting the thank you cards :mad:

It will be funny if 3 months from now, they receive a 2nd thank you card. I am sure they will laugh when you tell them why.

This was mailed in Juneau AK bound for the US. The passenger services person said no problem, just drop in box and it will get picked up and mailed today. Yeah, right! Son is now rewriting the thank you cards :mad:

What a bummer - at least now I know never to even try that - It was a pleasure meeting you and your family on the trip - we had a fabulous time - but once getting home Wanda had major problems with withdrawal symptoms from the patch - after 3 horrendous days she is now much better.

Maybe some day our paths will cross again - in the meantime - smooth sailing to you and your family...

What a bummer - at least now I know never to even try that - It was a pleasure meeting you and your family on the trip - we had a fabulous time - but once getting home Wanda had major problems with withdrawal symptoms from the patch - after 3 horrendous days she is now much better.

Maybe some day our paths will cross again - in the meantime - smooth sailing to you and your family...

Same to you and the family. We had a great time and thought this was one of our best cruises. The land portion was great as well. We had PERFECT weather. Take care and keep in touch.

An update: we found out today that 3 of the cards were received. Will be funny when some people get 2 of them...

a long long long time ago, so won't remember which ship, there was a cruise director who read the cruise critic board (& talked about it). so maybe the reason those showed up is that a CD or similar got them to empty the box this time!