Life would be so much cheaper without alcohol

This isn't a thread to rant or complain about drink prices. Nor is it a "is the alcohol package worth it" debate. Just a good laugh about how much cheaper things would be if I didn't enjoy drinking. Earlier this year I booked a 14 night TA from San Juan to Rome for spring 2018. Scored a balcony on the end of the hump and was blown away that it only cost $2,003. Yesterday they released the beverage packages, and for the two of us it will cost $1817 for the deluxe. For us, we will get our monies worth, and I know(hope) that eventually they will run the 20%-30% off sale which will bring the price down, but I thought it was funny that the drinking package will almost double the cost of the cruise itself.

If you book a suite cost will be less compared to cruise, we love cruising and traveling and also going to nice restaurants , so often cost of the wine we order is more than our meals combined, but we enjoy good wine

If you book a suite cost will be less compared to cruise, we love cruising and traveling and also going to nice restaurants , so often cost of the wine we order is more than our meals combined, but we enjoy good wine

Insight of a true genious! Make the cruise more expensive so the alcohol seems cheaper. I think you and I would get along well. If only I could sell my wife on this concept!

^ +1

$1800 would definitely purchase another cruise. We get our drinks one at a time and save a lot of money.

While I agree 100% with the logic, we aren't able to cruise every year. We take our kids with us on most vacations, and our alcohol intake is drastically different when we are with them. When we are on vacation without the kids, it's nice to let loose, relax, and enjoy ourselves without the responsibility.

$1800 would definitely purchase another cruise. We get our drinks one at a time and save a lot of money.

You're not saving money because you buy drinks one at a time, you're saving because you're not drinking $1,800 worth of alcohol and therefore a package is of no financial benefit.

I love cruising and getting a good deal for a vacation. Best part for me is i don't drink. Stopped after College, so I don't spend as much on drinking as the cruise price. This is not a rant. If you drink, good for you. I am just happy that I can spend drink money on other vices.

On my first cruise I only had a couple of drinks. I would not even pay for the soda package ;p. Now, well things have changed LOL! The biggest problem we have now is we take longer cruises which really pushes up the cost of the drink packages.

I would feel like crap on a cruise if I drank enough to make the drink package worthwhile. While I do have a drink or two at times, alcohol is an insignificant amount of the money I spend on any vacation. Usually, the 2 bottles of wine I can carry on, a few free drinks here and there, and a couple of purchased drinks are plenty for me.

On my first cruise I only had a couple of drinks. I would not even pay for the soda package ;p. Now, well things have changed LOL! The biggest problem we have now is we take longer cruises which really pushes up the cost of the drink packages.

Isn't that the truth. My first cruise I went with my mom. I probably had 3 drinks that cruise. The sign and sale bill was on her credit card and I paid her back and I don't think my share was more than $75, including the tips.

When I pay out of pocket, which is most of the time, I don't drink that much. Probably less than 8 on a 7 day cruise. Last cruise we had the drink package. I got my money's worth, but had I paid out of pocket, I probably would have averaged less than 1 per day (some days none, some days 2). I drink more with DH than I would on a girls cruise or with my mom, probably because DH drinks quite a bit. ;) But the drink package (post tax and grats) for the two of us on our cruise was a little under half of the base price of the cruise for all of us (excluding taxes/fees)

If you would choose drinks over $1800 cold hard cash, you may have a drinking problem.

I doubt it's all alcohol....between coffees and juices and bottled water the drink package can add up before you even hit the bar. Have to say though we are on the fence for a seven day...don't think I could do a package for the full fourteen. But, if that's how you unwind and really enjoy vacation, then money well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would feel like crap on a cruise if I drank enough to make the drink package worthwhile. While I do have a drink or two at times, alcohol is an insignificant amount of the money I spend on any vacation. Usually, the 2 bottles of wine I can carry on, a few free drinks here and there, and a couple of purchased drinks are plenty for me.

We were in a suite and forked out for a drinks package for everyone. Way over $3,500 it cost. We found it made us feel crap. Not because we drank too much, although several times we did ( and we did feel crap then too) but because you never knew if or when you really actually wanted a drink. Or was it just because you could...

Crucially, we found the drinks between 4:30pm and going to dinner were enough. So Next cruise we are not getting the drinks package, maybe the soda and using the CL.

This is why we're are trying to get to Diamond!

This isn't a thread to rant or complain about drink prices. Nor is it a "is the alcohol package worth it" debate. Just a good laugh about how much cheaper things would be if I didn't enjoy drinking. ............

So true! Cheaper but not as enjoyable. :D :champagne-toast:

If you would choose drinks over $1800 cold hard cash, you may have a drinking problem.

There's no doubt I drink more than I should, but the reality of the situation is that i'm going to drink more than what I paid for the package. I have a drink or two per night on a regular basis and when I'm on vacation, I drink more. It doesnt take that much to meet the daily amount you would need to make the package worth it anyway. A few bottles of water, some fresh squeezed OJ in the morning, a beer with lunch, some daquaries by the pool, a cocktail or two at dinner. Right there your have pretty much made it back. I'm just hoping that we can grab a 20-30% off sale sometime between now and next May. Drop a couple hundred off the price