Life would be so much cheaper without alcohol

If you would choose drinks over $1800 cold hard cash, you may have a drinking problem.

I doubt it's all alcohol....between coffees and juices and bottled water the drink package can add up before you even hit the bar.

I was up to $15 - $20 worth of non-alcoholic stuff, coffees, juice, bottle water, etc., before I touched the booze. And then another $5 - $10 non-alcoholic stuff during the rest of theday. (I love my caffeine!)

Now some people choose $1,800 in all types of drinks over cold hard cash. My DW chooses $1,800 in shoes over cold hard cash.:D. I choose $1,800 in new golf clubs over cold hard cash.;) It's whatever floats your boat. sfaaa, what do you choose over $1,800 in cold hard cash?

$1800 is more than all of my expenses combined for my upcoming 7-day cruise. And I mean including gas to get to Port Canaveral, cruise parking, meals on the drive up and back, excursions. My entire budget comes out to less than your alcohol budget.

I have to wonder is it really worth it? I don't drink alcohol at all and I had a fantastic time. My boyfriend is a very light drinker, less than 1 drink per day, and he had the time of his life. Even if alcohol makes your cruise better, does it make it $1800 better?

$1800 is more than all of my expenses combined for my upcoming 7-day cruise. And I mean including gas to get to Port Canaveral, cruise parking, meals on the drive up and back, excursions. My entire budget comes out to less than your alcohol budget.

I have to wonder is it really worth it? I don't drink alcohol at all and I had a fantastic time. My boyfriend is a very light drinker, less than 1 drink per day, and he had the time of his life. Even if alcohol makes your cruise better, does it make it $1800 better?

Short answer....Yes.

While I don't appreciate the medical condition that leaves me unable to drink alcohol, I certainly appreciate the savings!

I'll be honest and say we have a great time without it. Most of the time, you'd never know I was sober at a party ;) And our friends at home always enjoy having a designated driver.

If you would choose drinks over $1800 cold hard cash, you may have a drinking problem.

Oh please. :rolleyes: Plenty of people would say $1800 on the cruise itself is a horrific waste of money. I mean think of how much cold hard cash you could have in 20 years if you stuck that 1800 in a nice mutual fund instead, right?

Not sure why, on a message board for people who spend pretty good chunks of money on vacations, posters are so judge-y about what others spend on alcohol.

I was up to $15 - $20 worth of non-alcoholic stuff, coffees, juice, bottle water, etc., before I touched the booze. And then another $5 - $10 non-alcoholic stuff during the rest of theday. (I love my caffeine!)

Now some people choose $1,800 in all types of drinks over cold hard cash. My DW chooses $1,800 in shoes over cold hard cash.:D. I choose $1,800 in new golf clubs over cold hard cash.;) It's whatever floats your boat. sfaaa, what do you choose over $1,800 in cold hard cash?

Okay, I concede you do have a very valid point. What would I choose? Anything that would make me feel wonderful more than the $1,800 in my pocket. Like a cruise or something similar for example.

I like the way you think!.. Some people think smoking a carton of cigarettes is worth it. So it is what makes you happy. We always buy the bev pkg when we cruise, just makes the whole experience easier. and we have figured it out. If you buy 5 drinks a day, the pkg pays for itself and that does not include what it would cost for coffee, soda, water, etc. So for us, it is just part of the vacation. Now, I have never gone on a cruise where it would cost me $1800 for a pkg. Might have to think about that:D:D:D

I like the way you think!.. Some people think smoking a carton of cigarettes is worth it. So it is what makes you happy. We always buy the bev pkg when we cruise, just makes the whole experience easier. and we have figured it out. If you buy 5 drinks a day, the pkg pays for itself and that does not include what it would cost for coffee, soda, water, etc. So for us, it is just part of the vacation. Now, I have never gone on a cruise where it would cost me $1800 for a pkg. Might have to think about that:D:D:D

We thought about it for 10 minutes, but there's really no way around the fact that we'd end up drinking that much anyway. We are going with another couple who drink as well, and when you put the 4 of us together, drinks end up disappearing at an abnormally high rate. I just think the strategy has to change when you are talking 14 night trips vs 7 night. 7 night trips we tend to try to dig into the RCCL bottom line as much as we can. For this one, it will have to be at a more reasonable pace because i'd be dead by day 14 if I tried to drink that heavily for that many days.

We thought about it for 10 minutes, but there's really no way around the fact that we'd end up drinking that much anyway. We are going with another couple who drink as well, and when you put the 4 of us together, drinks end up disappearing at an abnormally high rate. I just think the strategy has to change when you are talking 14 night trips vs 7 night. 7 night trips we tend to try to dig into the RCCL bottom line as much as we can. For this one, it will have to be at a more reasonable pace because i'd be dead by day 14 if I tried to drink that heavily for that many days.

Hey, success is like the little engine that could, you keep saying to yourself with every drink, I think I can, I think Ican, I think I can. And if you try hard enough, you find yourself saying, I did it! :D

And then you keel over and you die a sucsess! :cool:

Hey, success is like the little engine that could, you keep saying to yourself with every drink, I think I can, I think Ican, I think I can. And if you try hard enough, you find yourself saying, I did it! :D

And then you keel over and you die a sucsess! :cool:

You win the Internet today sir! Good job

I'm a drinker and FH is not and I think we're both getting the full package. He will drink about 6 sodas a day and 2 or 3 bottles of water probably.. He estimated 2 or 3 alcoholic drinks/day but I know him and he'll probably exceed that most days. Seems worth it to us.

This isn't a thread to rant or complain about drink prices. Nor is it a "is the alcohol package worth it" debate. Just a good laugh about how much cheaper things would be if I didn't enjoy drinking. Earlier this year I booked a 14 night TA from San Juan to Rome for spring 2018. Scored a balcony on the end of the hump and was blown away that it only cost $2,003. Yesterday they released the beverage packages, and for the two of us it will cost $1817 for the deluxe. For us, we will get our monies worth, and I know(hope) that eventually they will run the 20%-30% off sale which will bring the price down, but I thought it was funny that the drinking package will almost double the cost of the cruise itself.

Not only would life be cheaper without alcohol, life would be much cheaper if we didn't love cruising!!

I'm a drinker and FH is not and I think we're both getting the full package. He will drink about 6 sodas a day and 2 or 3 bottles of water probably.. He estimated 2 or 3 alcoholic drinks/day but I know him and he'll probably exceed that most days. Seems worth it to us.

I'm confused...you say he's not a drinker, but you feel he will probably exceed 2 or 3 alcoholic drinks/day?:confused:

This isn't a thread to rant or complain about drink prices. Nor is it a "is the alcohol package worth it" debate. Just a good laugh about how much cheaper things would be if I didn't enjoy drinking. Earlier this year I booked a 14 night TA from San Juan to Rome for spring 2018. Scored a balcony on the end of the hump and was blown away that it only cost $2,003. Yesterday they released the beverage packages, and for the two of us it will cost $1817 for the deluxe. For us, we will get our monies worth, and I know(hope) that eventually they will run the 20%-30% off sale which will bring the price down, but I thought it was funny that the drinking package will almost double the cost of the cruise itself.

we did the beverage package on our last cruise of 14 days, we drank a fair amount of alcohol and never really got drunk or overtly buzzed, but we definately go our money worth with most drinks $13 and up ;).. I think at 1800 for two it is what $64 a day? that's 4 drinks . Even wine is not cheap.

And I still bought some pricey things as I am a bue diamond wearer and unsual designs are what I love.

Enjoy!! The fact that you saved on the cruise is good enough,

People pay a lot of money on a cruise to get what they want in rooms but balk at a drink package, to me it is all in the ride!! and we only ride life once!

;p:D

I'm confused...you say he's not a drinker, but you feel he will probably exceed 2 or 3 alcoholic drinks/day?:confused:

Haha yes that sounds silly reading it back. I should have said he's not normally a drinker. He doesn't come home from work every day and have a beer or go out to bars every weekend but he will occasionally spend a night out drinking. And when he does, he can put them down. I expect without the responsibility of driving home and being on vacation he'll drink more than usual.

On the other hand, I have a glass of wine every night with dinner and I do enjoy my tequila on my nights off.. ;p