Wait list fairness

dabear

Let's say you are wait listed for a particular category and 2 months out, they offer you the cabin at a much higher price than when you wait listed it. Do you get your deposit back if you decline the room because of the price increase?

That is a great question. Being as waitlist are are priced at time of clearance, I understand you have 48 hours to decide. BUT the following is part of the terms and conditions on the invoice:

"Waitlist bookings once cleared have 48 hours to cancel without penalty from time of clearance. If the cleared waitlist booking is not cancelled within this 48 hour period, normal cancellation fees will apply." My bolding

This implies that, while one might have 48 hours to decide, if one doesn't proactively cancel then the booking would be confirmed and *IF* there are any cancellation penalties at that point they would apply.

If at the point of the waitlist is confirmed there are no cancellation penalties then it is a non-issue.

Being as that cancellation penalty is a possibility and I infer from the above that unless the waitlist is proactively cancel it would be automatically confirmed so I would do as suggested and confirm this with your TA if you are on a waitlist.

Edited by YoHoHo
CC posting issue again with "message too short"

To the ops question. Fair yes

That was the difference between a guarantee and wait list

Guarantee meant you are assured a place on the cruise at the price at time of booking Carries no risk

Wait list promises you of nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is a great question. Being as waitlist are are priced at time of clearance, I understand you have 48 hours to decide. BUT the following is part of the terms and conditions on the invoice:

"Waitlist bookings once cleared have 48 hours to cancel without penalty from time of clearance. If the cleared waitlist booking is not cancelled within this 48 hour period, normal cancellation fees will apply." My bolding

This implies that, while one might have 48 hours to decide, if one doesn't proactively cancel then the booking would be confirmed and *IF* there are any cancellation penalties at that point they would apply.

If at the point of the waitlist is confirmed there are no cancellation penalties then it is a non-issue.

Being as that cancellation penalty is a possibility and I infer from the above that unless the waitlist is proactively cancel it would be automatically confirmed so I would do as suggested and confirm this with your TA if you are on a waitlist.

Thanks YoHoHo for the great analysis. We were just curious. As we usually book when a cruise first comes out, the chances are very remote, even less now, we would ever try to get waitlisted, especially if the price can go up.

For example we have an A1 cabin booked on a 9 day Cuban cruise next spring that has gone up $1,000+ pp since we booked it and a Baltic cruise in July, now waitlisted, that has gone up $500+ pp. I realize not everyone can book early so getting waitlisted is a nice option to have available. However, it's definitely a motivator to at least consider booking earlier in the future for the more sought after boutique itineraries.

A point to remember. The new Future Booking Certificate, sold on board, carries the lowest price guarantee amenity. Therefore, if one used it to book a waitlist, and thereafter cleared waitlist, the certificate holder gets the lowest advertise rate, not the rate at time of clearing waitlist.

Oceania is now discouraging the booking of placeholder reservations and encouraging the use of the new Certificates.

A point to remember. The new Future Booking Certificate, sold on board, carries the lowest price guarantee amenity. Therefore, if one used it to book a waitlist, and thereafter cleared waitlist, the certificate holder gets the lowest advertise rate, not the rate at time of clearing waitlist.

Oceania is now discouraging the booking of placeholder reservations and encouraging the use of the new Certificates.

Just curious, who is responsible for making sure the lowest advertised rate is applied, O or the waitlist holder?

We booked a B1 veranda on the 2019 RTW cruise and put down the 20% deposit.

About a month later we had our TA put us on the waitlist for any of the PH categories. I know that if we get offered one, we'll have to pay the "going" price at that time, but what about the deposit? Will we have to immediately pay more deposit money to get the new cabin or will our current deposit be considered enough to hold it?

• 3 months later...
We booked a B1 veranda on the 2019 RTW cruise and put down the 20% deposit.

About a month later we had our TA put us on the waitlist for any of the PH categories. I know that if we get offered one, we'll have to pay the "going" price at that time, but what about the deposit? Will we have to immediately pay more deposit money to get the new cabin or will our current deposit be considered enough to hold it?

I have the answer to my own question! :')

We were able to obtain a PH suite and DID have to pay additional deposit money to equal the 20% amount for the PH.