One Way Flights to Rotterdam/Amsterdam

jow623

It's like making a reservation at a nice restaurant, and just not showing up. Sure, somebody else might luck out and get a table when the place is fully booked, or maybe not. The restaurant gets stuck with an empty table and lost revenue. Same with airlines. If you throw-away the return or a round trip, and you only fly that airline once or rarely, you will not suffer any consequences. But it's a carrier you use for business trips, you may get some problem if you use them again.

Cruise lines can purchase bulk fares for passengers at extremely low rates due to their volume. This is for one-way and open -jaw tickets, mostly international. Domestic one-ways are easy to book yourself and not too much different than the cruise line fares.

Hmmm, not really like making a restaurant reservation then not showing up, because my airline tickets were pre-paid, so I really think the airline made money on re-selling the seat, probably at an extortionist's price for a one way ticket.

But I doubt I'll ever need to do such a thing again as I now know how to get decent one-way fares. Such a curiosity of marketing though it's no wonder people go to great lengths to do something more sensible even if risky perhaps. m--

I looked into some HAL cruises this summer from Amsterdam. We're going on a Princess cruise instead because airfare to London was so much more reasonably priced. I hate to pay twice the cruise price for airfare.

How is Holland when you perfer Business class one way. I want

June 14 ' date='2018

August 3, 2018

Both one way to Amsterdam Business Class[/quote']

I cannot speak for HAL, but a few days ago we scored a terrific deal for a one-way Business Class Flight to Singapore....from Princess. We are talking about a 50% (about $1,500 per person) savings. Does this happen all the time? No. But it never hurts to check the cruise line air options...and then compare to booking similar flights on your own.

Hank

I cannot speak for HAL, but a few days ago we scored a terrific deal for a one-way Business Class Flight to Singapore....from Princess. We are talking about a 50% (about $1,500 per person) savings. Does this happen all the time? No. But it never hurts to check the cruise line air options...and then compare to booking similar flights on your own.

Hank

Shame you can't give them miles as well..

Hank

I agree Business class thru the cruise line, in our case also Princess, was a steal. For international cruises, when I would normally be fare hunting for Business class I am definitely trying the cruise line first. We have an open-jaw Hong Kong to Tokyo in 2019. I will be trying Flight Ease first.

Dennis

I know folks who have done the "throw-away" of the return flight. The airlines hate this. They have stripped passengers of their FF miles for doing this. We have found for one-way international flights, HAL can do much better than even the round trip throw-away. One-way domestic US flights are not so bad. We just got one-way from Tampa to Venice for $399 coach and $789 British Airways World Traveler Plus service, which gets you a 20" wide seat, 38" of pitch, a meal and free drinks for the Atlantic crossing. Ask HAL to quote you. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Those are great prices. We love British Air, and it is non-stop from Tampa to Gatwick. But we use FF miles and can't upgrade to Plus. However, BA is more comfortable than some other airlines and, as you noted, provide free drinks.I also wonder why anyone with sufficient FF miles for economy would even try to book a R/T throwaway ticket. FF tickets are based on one way and cost as little as 30,000 miles to Europe.

Another option for one-way tickets is to take out an airline credit card that provides xxx of FF if you charge xxx$ within 3 months. We did that for a trans-Pacific cruise nine years ago, and we have since traveled business class on that airline (not BA) for every TA cruise. FF miles are accumulated by purchases of everything, not just airline tickets.

Shame you can't give them miles as well..

So true. The mileage game does not work well when dealing with cruise lines. But even if we wanted to use miles for that Singapore flight, the 50% discount offered via Princess would have us saving our miles and using cash.

Hank

Those are great prices. We love British Air, and it is non-stop from Tampa to Gatwick. But we use FF miles and can't upgrade to Plus. However, BA is more comfortable than some other airlines and, as you noted, provide free drinks.I also wonder why anyone with sufficient FF miles for economy would even try to book a R/T throwaway ticket. FF tickets are based on one way and cost as little as 30,000 miles to Europe.

Another option for one-way tickets is to take out an airline credit card that provides xxx of FF if you charge xxx$ within 3 months. We did that for a trans-Pacific cruise nine years ago, and we have since traveled business class on that airline (not BA) for every TA cruise. FF miles are accumulated by purchases of everything, not just airline tickets.

55,000 miles in Canada for FF miles in biz class. A steal of a deal if you ask me ;)

And yes, I use one of those CC cards. One way flights are horrifically expensive for us so it's a huge saver.

But, you have to check and move fast or they are gone.

It pays to be persistent :)

Anyone have any advice on booking these flights? Prices are outrageous! Thanks

Look instead at roundtrip prices. For some reason international roundtrip are often significantly cheaper than one-way. You can cancel the return -- or use it for a ta. That's what we did last year.