Tipping with all inclusive drink package

Red Rock Feaver

We have the all inclusive beverage package on Princess, plus prepaid gratuities, is it custumary to tip the bar tenders and the room service staff?

Customary is the ? As you'll most likely get responses all over the board but in our case with similar perks, unless the service is poor, we DO tip extra. These folks work hard and always with a smile. One persons opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the all inclusive beverage package on Princess, plus prepaid gratuities, is it custumary to tip the bar tenders and the room service staff?

We give cash tips to the cabin steward at the end of the cruise, unless the level of service is not satisfactory.

It's not necessary to tip since the tips are included in the drink package even if you received the package as a promotion when booking. If I actually purchase the beverage package I would only tip for above and beyond service such as bringing a drink from the bar when I am eating in the buffet. With the Sip and Sail I can afford to be more generous and will tip at the end of my stay at the venue. I will certainly tip if i use the Medallion to order food or drink assuming that there isn't an up charge for that service that includes the gratuity.

I had an AIBP on our last cruise but it was on Royal Caribbean. Nevertheless, I chose to tip the bartender an extra $1 each time I got a drink. I got attention immediately while approaching the bar and (this is subjective) I think they poured the drinks stronger after they "got to know me". But no need to tip if you don't want to. I don't think anything is customary when it comes to tipping. It's always a personal decision.

We tip our room steward in cash in addition to the automatic tips added to you daily account.

We don't tip on drinks because it's already included in the beverage package price and even if you don't buy the package, a tip is added the charge of any alcoholic beverage.

For room service, we always give the food delivery person a dollar. Always tip in cash as that way the person will get the money in their pocket:)

Edited by Optotronics
added content

Thanks for all the good "tips" fellow cruisers!

We just like to be fair with all the hard working staff!

Looking forward to this cruise out of Vancouver July 15 on the Star!

Have a ball, we'll be on the Star at Christmas this year out of LA to Hawaii!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not necessary to tip the room service staff because they participate in the automatic daily gratuities (or prepaid gratuities). It is also not necessary to tip the waiters in the dining rooms for the same reason. However, I will tip extra if I receive excellent service, but you shouldn't feel guilty if you don't - as long as you do not cancel the automatic daily gratuities (or prepaid gratuities).

It is not necessary to tip the bartenders, since an automatic 15% tip is added to the price of each drink. If you purchase the AIBP, the 15% tip is added to that price also. If you receive the AIBP as part of the Sip & Sail promotion, Princess is paying the tip as part of the promotion. On my last cruise (with AIBP), I bought almost all of my drinks at Crooners. I did not tip with each drink. Instead I tipped the Crooners wait staff extra on the last night - because I thought the service deserved it. Again don't feel guilty if you don't - you are paying the automatic gratuity as part of your AIBP.

I had an AIBP on our last cruise but it was on Royal Caribbean. Nevertheless, I chose to tip the bartender an extra $1 each time I got a drink. I got attention immediately while approaching the bar and (this is subjective) I think they poured the drinks stronger after they "got to know me". But no need to tip if you don't want to. I don't think anything is customary when it comes to tipping. It's always a personal decision.

I did not tip the bartenders at Crooners until the last night. However, I received excellent service throughout the cruise. They quickly learned my name, my folio number, and my drink of choice. When I sat down at the bar, they would bring me my drink without my even asking. The service was excellent. I do not believe they treat you any better if you tip each time. Nearly all of them will work to give everyone great service - not just the people who have already tipped them.

I typically scout out a particular bar to be my "home" bar during the cruise. I had the beverage package this past cruise and didn't tip extra, until the last day and give my regular bartender a nice tip for taking care of us all cruise long. We also tipped extra to our cabin steward and I tipped the room service folks as well. This certainly isn't necessary, but these folks do work hard for the money and if they provide exceptional service, I really don't mind to tip extra. The one thing that impressed me on this cruise (our first on Princess) is that no one as angling for a tip. On many of our cruises, the bartenders and room stewards are really working you for that tip. We ran into this when NCL rolled out their drink package promos that didn't include the tip (which confused a lot of people). The bartenders got down right surly if they weren't tipped.

We tip our room steward in cash in addition to the automatic tips added to you daily account.

We don't tip on drinks because it's already included in the beverage package price and even if you don't buy the package, a tip is added the charge of any alcoholic beverage.

For room service, we always give the food delivery person a dollar. Always tip in cash as that way the person will get the money in their pocket:)

I always tip the room service delivery person. I don't tip the bartenders unless the service is exceptional. I have pre tipped my room steward twice and they looked at me confused. I always tip them at the end. I wish I knew if they get to keep the cash tips they receive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always tip the room service delivery person. I don't tip the bartenders unless the service is exceptional. I have pre tipped my room steward twice and they looked at me confused. I always tip them at the end. I wish I knew if they get to keep the cash tips they receive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course they keep their cash tips. Do you think they are getting frisked down each night to turn them over to the ship?

They keep them as they're entitled to.

If you just add a tip to the receipt, they may get a portion of that depending on many factors. If they have a sick day, get a bad report from a passenger of one of many things their auto tips can be greatly reduced. Not making that up, two of our next door neighbors met while working on a cruise ship, fell in love and got married and they've got lots of stories on how they were denied some of their tips for minor reasons. So whenever I can, I pay them in cash and usually early in the cruise to ensure even better service:)

Reading all these posts makes me wonder...do you all bring a wad of cash to do your on the spot tipping? I ask because I had the AIBP on our recent trip and there is no way to add a tip because there is no receipt or anything for the drink. They would just take my cruise card and bring it back with the drink. I don't carry money around on the ship.

Reading all these posts makes me wonder...do you all bring a wad of cash to do your on the spot tipping? I ask because I had the AIBP on our recent trip and there is no way to add a tip because there is no receipt or anything for the drink. They would just take my cruise card and bring it back with the drink. I don't carry money around on the ship.

We usually bring a fair supply of small bills for tipping room service, cab rides and our room steward. On our 14 day b2b I gave our steward $20 about 3 days in and then another $25 the last night. Tips are not needed for AIBP as 15% tip is included in the price of th package, same goes for alcoholic drinks bought on you room card without the package; i.e. If you order a $10 drink at crooners, it will show on your daily account as $11.50 drink.

The daily tip charged to your room covers the waitstaff in the MDR, horizon court and specialty dining as well as your room steward, but the room steward was so helpful, we couldn't help but reward him more for all he did above and beyond the call of duty:)

Beverage Package - The 15% gratuity is included as part of the package. We never carry cash on board, and never provide tips as we go. We would provide an extra tip at the end of the cruise if we frequent a particular lounge and received good service from the same cocktail waiter.

Room service staff. We do provide tips to room service staff on delivery, from $1 and more depending on what we asked for. Room service is not included in the All Inclusive Beverage Package. Order a beverage via room service and you will be charged for it.

Not a wad of cash but some cash in an envelope. We've been on six cruise so we have a fairly good idea of what to bring for gratuities. Something on the order of $200 for a seven day cruise. That includes bartenders, stewards, waiters, etc. We start with an assortment of bills but you can always get change at guest services.

DH always throws on an additional $1-2 for our drinks. We usually have a regular bar or two that we frequent and we are quickly recognized and serviced.

Dining staff is much harder if you chose ATD because it switches every night. We have learned when we find staff we like to request them each evening.

Room steward usually gets at least $20 per room extra if they are thorough and attentive to any requests. My teen left $50 of his own money one time because he felt bad because of how messy he had kept the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How many times do you want to tip for the same service? Do you usually tip more then once when you're home and go out?

I would also say that on our last 19-day Panama cruise with the AIBP (through a Sip and Sail promotion) the staff in Crooner's Bar was exceptional. We gave an extra tip at the end of the cruise to all four servers and the bar manager. I would go back on the Island just to have Darshaun make me one of his raspberry creme brulee martinis. So yummy! The key lime pie was another winner. :) They really deserved the extra tip.

Of course they keep their cash tips. Do you think they are getting frisked down each night to turn them over to the ship?

They keep them as they're entitled to.

If you just add a tip to the receipt, they may get a portion of that depending on many factors. If they have a sick day, get a bad report from a passenger of one of many things their auto tips can be greatly reduced. Not making that up, two of our next door neighbors met while working on a cruise ship, fell in love and got married and they've got lots of stories on how they were denied some of their tips for minor reasons. So whenever I can, I pay them in cash and usually early in the cruise to ensure even better service:)

If you do a search, there are tons of threads on this topic, but the understanding seems to be that the stewards and waitiers may only keep the extra cash if the auto-tip was NOT removed by the passenger. As gratuity is added to the bar bill, the bartenders should get to keep their tips. Also, I'm one who feels that a tip is a reward (or reinforcement, in behavorial terms) for good service, not a bribe to try to get better service...JMHO.

If you do a search, there are tons of threads on this topic, but the understanding seems to be that the stewards and waitiers may only keep the extra cash if the auto-tip was NOT removed by the passenger. As gratuity is added to the bar bill, the bartenders should get to keep their tips. Also, I'm one who feels that a tip is a reward (or reinforcement, in behavorial terms) for good service, not a bribe to try to get better service...JMHO.

Yep. On Princess, as on most cruise lines, all cash tips are turned in to the accounting department until the cruise is over and passenger auto tip accounts are reconciled. If the auto tips are left in place, the cash tip are deposited into the crew member's account. If the auto tips were removed or reduced, the cash tips go into the general pool to be shared. This is to prevent misguided people from tipping only certain crew members leaving everyone else who supported them out of luck. Over the years on these boards this process has been described by several people who work in the cruise industry, including one who handled crew accounting tasks.

That is why when we give additional cash at the end (never before) the cruise, we put it in an envelope with our names and cabin number on the envelope. This is what the crew member would have to do anyway when they turn in those cash tips in order to identify who gave it to them. Putting that information on the envelope makes it one less thing for them to have to do in their busy work schedule.

I usually bring $50 in singles to distribute when warranted for service around the ship. Will leave the room steward $20-$30 dollars at the end of the cruise in an envelope with a thank you note. We have anytime dining so I rarely ever tip there unless we get the same wait staff which never happens. I find the service in AT dining is nothing special. Many times It has been difficult getting a beverage refill. I stopped tipping extra in the specialty restaurants as well. I feel that if I am paying extra to begin with the service should be over and above the MDR service.

How many times do you want to tip for the same service? Do you usually tip more then once when you're home and go out?

Some people are actually appreciative of the hard work done by the cruise staff and reward good service. With regard to the AIBP, purchased or provided by Princess promo, yes the 15% gratuity is added in and is approximately $7.50 of the total price. Had you purchased 10 drinks throughout the day at $10 per drink the bar staff would be rewarded with $15 in total gratuity. A little extra I would imagine is highly appreciated by the hard working crew.

Sent from my iPad using Forums