Non-Refundable Deposit

That's how I figured that the fish site uses web page scrubbing as a way to get prices - it had that "wrong" price as well.

Does anyone have any contact information for a fish site? I signed up last year but can't access my account. No response from their email

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

What do you think about RCL new non-refundable deposit?

Not interested at all...also do not like that they changed the classifications of the rooms....we have always had a P1 and now that is an L1 and limited to more than 2 passengers. Have been checking out Princess.....hummmmmm:(

I think it's on a par with United's Basic Economy...an easy way for the company to increase prices without changing or improving the product. By creating super-restrictive fares, people who need flexibility are forced to purchase a less restrictive fare, but at a higher price than they could have done a few months ago.[emoji853]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

I just noticed those non-refundable deposits.

They have refundable offer too, it's a little more expensive. But there are NO ROOMS AVAILABLE for our needs.

I guess we most likely will be done with RC. Unless we can find something we like at the last moment?

I can't see how people can book a cruise 2 years in advance with the nowadays Royal Policy. Maybe somebody who has lots of fixed vacation time, or people who are retired? That's who Royal aims for?

Disney has non-refundable deposits for Concierge (suite) rooms. But they would change the date on the reservation for no fee.

Royal wants to charge even for date change?! Really?! Seriously?! :)))

Their big ship suite prices are comparable to Disney Concierge. So if I have to choose now I would rather choose Disney over Royal.

Only $100 per person is lost. The rest is refunded as a future cruise credit.

Thank you,

But even $100 dollars is money.

Unless they are doing some totally unique itinerary nobody else does and I really want it - why would I want to waste even $100?

Maybe I don't get something here. But right now I am thinking - why bother?

Unless all other cruise lines would start doing non-refundable deposits? But like I mentioned - Disney for example is doing it forever for suites, but they will work with you and will not charge you if you switch the date - not even $100.

Maybe cruising becomes so popular that cruise companies can do anything, because they know they will fill their ships - no matter what?

Will see...

Outside of the NA market, virtually all of them are NRD only and have been for a very long time.

Sorry - what is NA market?

Thank you.

The only two times I had a situation with non-refundable deposits so far was Disney with suites (but I knew what I was getting myself into) and Holland America this summer.

I appreciate at least Royal states very clear that the deposit is non-refundable.

We did Alaska cruise this summer with Holland America, I booked it about 5 months in advance. I booked two itineraries initially as could not decide which date would work better for us and I wanted certain room.

Later I cancelled one of them - no problem. But only by accident I found out that the second itinerary I booked and luckily didn't need to cancel had a non-refundable deposit. I had no idea. The two itineraries were only week apart, and when I booked nowhere it was noticeably stated that the deposit was non-refundable. I was kind of pissed when I found out. Luckily it worked out for us.

We don't go for one particular cruise line. We go for itinerary, date and availability of the accommodation we need. We usually get expensive rooms as we like to have separate beds and enough of bathrooms and the experience seem to be pretty much the same for any cruise line with this type of accommodation. I am sure there are differences, but they are not that important for us.

I don't like the idea of been stuck with certain cruise line because I have to use the deposit. I would rather pay more but be able to cancel if I need.

Edited by JoieNsk

I don't have a problem with the policy, although I have a rather large problem with the fact that their agents don't explain the policy consistently. I wrote more on my blog, but they need to do a better job training their own agents about what their policies actually are. You can have any policy you want as long as you clearly explain it to your customers when they call.

• 7 months later...

To: Royal Caribbean CEO Adam Goldstein

1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132

Dear Mr Goldstein and Royal Caribbean.

My wife and I have been loyal customers of Royal Caribbean (RC) for over 20 years and we have enjoyed our cruises from beginning to end … from booking our cruises to disembarking the ship on the final day. Recently we have encountered your RC “non-refundable deposit program” (NR Program) which we do not agree with and we are now caught up in it.

For the first time since RC instituted the NR Program, we booked a cruise which required a $900 deposit. Due to unforeseen circumstances, just 30 days after our booking, and 15 months prior to the cruise departure, we had to cancel the cruise. Not only did we lose $200, as a “no change fee” but we also are in the process of possibly losing an additional $700 of our $900 deposit. RC’s NR Program states that after the $200 mandatory forfeiture, the remaining deposit balance cannot be refunded but must be used on a future RC cruise. This future cruise would have to be booked within 1 year of cancellation. In our case we live in Arizona and we do not fly. RC doesn’t have any cruises departing from California which makes it so difficult.

Why doesn’t RC increase the time limit to 2 years to ease the sting of losing $200 right off the bat, and to help the customer not lose the balance of their deposit? It would make your program a little more palletable and it would help your customers not feel like they are being thrown overboard by RC with this strict program!

In our situation we will be out of the country the entire year so in essence we will stand to lose our entire $900 deposit. RC will most definitely book our room to another customer because we cancelled our cruise 15 months before departure. We certainly could understand losing our deposit if it were 60 or even 90 days from sailing, however, 15 months and you are going to basically keep a loyal customer’s money when you will be receiving another loyal customers deposit when REFILLING the room that was cancelled 15 months earlier? This does not make sense to us.

For these reasons we will never sail with RC again and we are requesting your IT Department delete from your companies Data base, ALL of our personal information, including our loyal Crown and Anchor membership numbers. It is unfortunate that your non-refund policy has created a negative black mark on your companies reputation. Word of month spreads far and wide.

Sincerely,

Dennis and Kathie J.

Payson, Arizona.