No Power Strips? New Rule?

I'm cruising on RCI in August, and I was told by Royal Caribbean that no power strips (surge supressor or otherwise) are permitted on the ship. Searching old threads here, it seems they permitted non surge supressors in the past.

Has there been a change in policy anyone is aware of?

Hi, no guest power strips allowed. Ask your room attendant and they will bring one to you. Learned hard way when they make you go to the naughty room to claim the one you tried to bring on.

Our DD and three of her friends sailed on the Liberty in an inside closet with 2 outlets for all their phones, ipads, curling irons hair dryer.............so 13 devices for 2 outlets.

The cabin attendant brought them two extension cords with multiple plugs, problem solved.

Ask and you shall receive.

Safe travels.

So...if you want one, you should ask asap, I suppose...doubt they have enough for all that may ask...

One way to gain an extra outlet without a strip would be to take a voltage converter that allow you to use the Euro type outlets most ships have for their vacuum cleaner's...don't suppose they would ban that...

Ship provides hair dryers.

Most devices these days charge off USB outlets so bring a converter (or two) like:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Charger-Desktop-Charging-Technology/dp/B00OQ19QYA/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1498974159&sr=8-27-spons&keywords=usb+charger+converter&psc=1

Use that European socket, I have a plug-in adapter that offers two USB sockets for charging I bought in Copenhagen. I'm sure the same is available here in US (and likely cheaper too).

Most USB charger units can take either 115 or 220v inputs (look at the small print on yours to be sure), so look for simple adapters so you can plug into 220v sockets (or vice versa).

Lots of choices.

One way to gain an extra outlet without a strip would be to take a voltage converter that allow you to use the Euro type outlets most ships have.

A voltage converter might not be banned but I think what meant is a outlet adapter. Also, folks must ensure that the device to be used can accept 220 VAC otherwise they might let the smoke out.

A voltage converter might not be banned but I think what meant is a outlet adapter. Also, folks must ensure that the device to be used can accept 220 VAC otherwise they might let the smoke out.

Good points...

I purchased a "world adapter" at an airport Brookstone store, several years ago, that contains several different types of plugs. In addition, it reduces 220 down to 110 volts, if necessary. Unfortunately, it does not have a USB outlet, but newer ones may....

So true. Many people think that they can just take their US 110 device/appliance and use the 220 converter but you cannot unless the device is rated for both 110 and 220. Most Apple devices are but many US appliance such as hair dryers, are not. You will burn your device up if it not rated for 220.

We always bring one that does not have a surge protector and never had a problem. But one outlet with several usb chargers looks like it would be the way to go.

This is the one we use. It doesn't eliminate the outlet that it uses and has pretty decent USB charging output. And it is not surge protected.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-2-Port-Swivel-Charger-Combined/dp/B00QHAZZJ8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1499030097&sr=8-11&keywords=belkin+usb+charger