Snorkeling - Rent or Purchase and bring your own?

Saskeeter

My wife and I have only snorkeled 1 time before on our one and only cruise. We are both a little concerned about using "public" snorkeling gear and the potential for catching other's germs, sickness, etc...

Questions:

1. Is the gear you rent on these excursions junk or even decent?

2. Do you think they get disinfected in any way?

3. What does it even cost to buy snorkel gear for equipment that you will only use 1-2x per year?

4. If you were to purchase snorkel gear, where would you get it and how much would you spend if you were only going to use it 1-2x per year?

Thanks!!!

The rental gear is better than most stuff you will buy.

Excursion gear is usually soaked in bleach solution or something similar.

Do you really want to haul mask, snorkel, & fins around?

Most dishes, silverware, glassware, linens, towels, toilets, etc are used by others.

If you are that big a germaphobe, you shouldn't leave your house.......

It depends on the operator, but the snorkelling tours (we book private excursions, not through the ship) we've done have all provided first rate equipment. I bring my own mask because I can't see the controls on my camera without a bifocal feature. And the snorkel is hard to get off, so it comes along, too. I bring my fins only if I check my bag and am not planning going on any excursions, just beach visits. That way I'm ready to go without having to find a vendor.

If I'm using the excursion provider's equipment, I just assume, perhaps naively, that they clean the gear in between trips. If not, I don't think there's much that can survive for long in the salt water. In any event, I haven't had any health issues as a result. Don't worry, be happy.:D

I have this mask: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5IR946/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these fins: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PJ3EWS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I got them for $19.99 on sale). They are too long to fit into my carryon bag, so they don't always make the trip.

On an excursion once, I looked into the mouthpiece of the provided equipment and from then on I have always brought our own.

They do dump the pieces in a bucket of 'disinfectant solution'. It's more of a soak than a cleaning.

My wife and I have only snorkeled 1 time before on our one and only cruise. We are both a little concerned about using "public" snorkeling gear and the potential for catching other's germs, sickness, etc...

Questions:

3. What does it even cost to buy snorkel gear for equipment that you will only use 1-2x per year?

4. If you were to purchase snorkel gear, where would you get it and how much would you spend if you were only going to use it 1-2x per year?

Thanks!!!

I always bring my own mask, snorkel and vest. I use the provided fins since I'm paying for it anyway, and they weigh a lot for air travel.. That solves all my cleanliness issues.

I bought my mask 19 years ago and counting. I replaced my snorkel 8 years ago to upgrade to a dry snorkel. Took them to a dive shop yesterday while buying snorkels for the kids. Dive master says they are still good. My point is they are an investment that lasts. And we rent the rest of our gear so we don't have to pack them. Plus it grosses us out to rent something going in other mouths.

They were less than $50 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The rental gear is better than most stuff you will buy.

Excursion gear is usually soaked in bleach solution or something similar.

Do you really want to haul mask, snorkel, & fins around?

Most dishes, silverware, glassware, linens, towels, toilets, etc are used by others.

If you are that big a germaphobe, you shouldn't leave your house.......

Sorry, but I just have to disagree with your theory that the rental stuff is better (of course you said most, not all) than most stuff you can buy. I bought a dry full face mask/snorkel that does not require a mouth piece, so no inserting in mouth required!!;p I love it! I do not need fins or a vest (I am a "floater" and literally cannot sink below the water line!:o) I can literally stand up in deep water and enjoy a beverage while my arms and legs are completely still; used to think everybody could when I was younger but later found that most people cannot do this. Yes, I am a plump sort of gal!!:hearteyes: Anyway, I'm no germaphobe but just prefer the easy use of a full face mask/dry snorkel, which are never provided on rentals!!

I don't know why anyone would want to put a mouthpiece in that has been in 1,000 other mouths, even if it is thrown in a bucket of water in-between. Snorkels are cheap and fit right into the side of your suitcase where nothing else fits anyway. I bring my own mask too because I can buy one that fits better. Plus, people snot into their masks. I'm sorry to be crude, but that's just the reality.

We bring our own. Reputable places disinfect the gear, but in my experience it's usually the cheap stuff you'd find on the kids toy aisle at wal mart.

Costco sells a really nice set for $40. They sell out pretty quickly every summer, but id check there if you have a membership.

I have my own mask since I wanted prescription lenses due to my severe nearsightedness. I also have my own dry snorkel. The mask takes up some room since it is in a hard sided cases but the snorkel really doesn't take much space. I always use the fins the tour supplies as they are the bulkiest item and I've always found them adequate. There is only one tour I've been on where fins were not supplies and that was on Tortola.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with what has already been said by others: use your own mask and snorkel but use rental fins to save baggage weight/space. Rather than purchase at Amazon or Costco, though, our snorkeling gear was purchased at a dive shop - it mattered to us to get a good fit on the mask. Two adults and a minor, all 3 of us have different masks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yup...I'd rather lug around my own mask and snorkel. I have used the same set for years -- fit is great so I enjoy snorkeling with no leaks or fogging. But I do use fins that are provided...no need to lug those.

And for me, nothing germaphobic about not trusting my hygiene to someone else.... A quick soak in bucket with disinfectant is just a little creepy... [emoji23]

I wouldn't dream of putting a snorkle in my mouth that some one else has used. It's a bit like using a communal toothbrush! I have my own "full face" mask, which I love. There is not much opportunity for snorkelling in the UK so I have to pack it when flying, but to me it's worth it. Perhaps if space was tight, I could wear it to travel, along with my sun hat.😀

We bring our own snorkel and mask (and reef shoes if needed) . We leave our fins at home, though we have considered buying travel fins. Only the youngest and I snorkel these days, the husband and older kids dive. They don't bring all their own dive gear though, just their watch and mask (and snorkel too). They rent everything else.

All the rental stuff we have come across is decent quality but masks fit differently. I think I must have tried on 15 masks before I found one that was a good fit for me, and the kids were even harder. We all have dive quality stuff, except the youngest. Her stuff is pretty good though, her mask and snorkel are Cressi brand, you can find them on amazon and I find it to be pretty good quality for the price. My older kids' dive instructor recommended it.

I bring my own snorkel and mask. mine has a breathing "thing" at the end near the mouth so you can blow out if you want to, I have just found out they are called a purge valve and are useful for getting rid of water that does get in. the one time I didn't bring it I was on a quite expensive trip and they gave me one of these ---- sad times! I struggle with breathing at the best of times so its a good idea for me to have all the help I can!

th?id=OIP.7SDoRdFGtVuZqQ_fpmZpPgEsEs&w=214&h=215&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

As for whether a person should buy one or not - depends on how often they plan on snorkelling too I suppose. in the Caribbean you might use it every day - so it probably is worth having your own good one. if it's a "one off" splashabout and you are a good breather - then its probably not necessary. My husband has always been happy with the equipment he has been given.

My fins and carrying case go in luggage first. I've had my own gear for years. Have upgraded mask and snorkel a few years ago. With your own gear, you are always first in the water. Often we have done snorkeling from the shore and great not to have to rent from somewhere.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 HD using Forums mobile app

What do you people do at restaurants?

Take your own silverware and cups.

I hope you never eat at a buffet.

I trust dishwashers as they have super hot water and steam. Not buckets of mystery cleaner.

Questions:

Thanks!!!

Each to their own...

I do not like putting in my mouth a snorkel that is 'presumed' to be disinfected and no one can assure me there is no issue inside the snorkel, like something growing. I also like to know that the mask is going to fit me and works well. We always bring our on snorkel and mask and on snorkeling excursions use their fins on short cruises and on longer than 7 day cruises where we plan 2-3 outings, bring our own.

That is us though.

As to buying your own, it is a value proposition as with most stuff you buy. Do you like to snorkel, do you intend to do it often enough to warrant purchasing and then having to haul the stuff in your luggage, etc. We do and have, so it was the right decision for us.

I actually purchased my current mask on Allure of Seas many years ago. My snorkel and fins at at local dive shop. Never have looked back! :)

I trust dishwashers as they have super hot water and steam. Not buckets of mystery cleaner.

I have worked at restaurants & bars that have had broken dishwashers and "make due" for a few days until they get fixed..

Happens probably more than you want to know.......