Anyone flying back from Europe had connection 1st in Charlotte

wizdiz

Wondering if anyone has had a connection when flying back from Europe and stopped 1st in Charlotte, therefore, had to do customs. If so how long did it take? Do you have to go to the normal luggage pick up then go through customs and back through security? Or are there special areas since already in the airport?

Wondering if anyone has had a connection when flying back from Europe and stopped 1st in Charlotte, therefore, had to do customs. If so how long did it take? Do you have to go to the normal luggage pick up then go through customs and back through security? Or are there special areas since already in the airport?

Wrong forum. This is the NCL cruise forum. Here is the link to the Air forum of Cruise Critic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

We flew from Rome to CLT, which was our last leg so we didn't change planes there. We have Global entry and customs couldn't have been easier. Very quick and painless. It took less than 5 minutes.

Usually, when coming from overseas, you have to pick up your luggage and then go back through security, but we didn't have to do that since we ended our journey in CLT.

Done it three times. Depends on the number of intl flights arriving at about the same time. Twice took about 1 hour, once about 20 minutes. Yes you get your bags 1st. Then back through security. Things are certainly getting a little tighter, which I suppose is a good thing. I was talking to a customs guy and he said they catch about 20 plus people a day and off to a holding cell they go/ he didn`t say what happened to them then... We`re going to London in September and am curious what we`re going to see coming back.

You have to collect your luggage in the international terminal, then go through customs and immigrations. It can take 30 minutes to get your bags and over and hour in customs.

You exit the secure area and drop your bags at recheck. You then have to get to your departure terminal and go through security again. If you get a bottle of water on the flight, it can't go back through security.

Allow a lot of time to connect.

You have to collect your luggage in the international terminal, then go through customs and immigrations. It can take 30 minutes to get your bags and over and hour in customs.

You exit the secure area and drop your bags at recheck. You then have to get to your departure terminal and go through security again. If you get a bottle of water on the flight, it can't go back through security.

Allow a lot of time to connect.

Thanks

I tried there. Figured would reach more here who are in same situation as me as it's for a NCL cruise

Flights into Charlotte are the same no matter what cruise line or if traveling without a cruise line. Same if just on personal travel. Nothing different at all.

You first go through immigration. Then collect your bags then do customs and then if you have a connecting flight recheck them. They will already be tagged to your final stop you only have to hand them over right after customs. (you don't have to drag them to the main ticket counter. There is a place to hand them over right after you finish customs). You then will have to go back through security again to get to your next flight. How long it will take depends on how many other international flights are arriving about the same time. If yours is the only one, it should be pretty quick, if there are multiple large aircraft then it will take a little longer. Having Global Entry and Pre check (for the getting back through security part) will certainly help. CLT is one of the better (IMO) places to arrive at from overseas. But, hopefully you should have at least 3 hrs between flights to ensure enough time to do everything. (and i don't give a rats arse what the airlines say is a "legal connection" I want at least 3 hrs so I am not rushed. (and I have GE and pre check))

Hmm. I think we prefer Atlanta on Delta, where you stay airside (not going back into the general public area), if I am not mistaking..

Luckily KLM restarted their direct Amsterdam-Miami flights last year :cool:

In Atlanta, you go through customs/immigration. Then take your bags out of that area and hand over to connecting agents. You then go through security again. The TSA station is right there vs at the main entrance, but you still go through it before you can get to any gates.

When you re clear security it is not in the terminal with everyone else, it is inside the immigration area. No precheck lines and no global entry, everyone is the same. It is very quick. CLT is an easy airport to return to from overseas. Not that many flights coming in.

When you re clear security it is not in the terminal with everyone else, it is inside the immigration area. No precheck lines and no global entry, everyone is the same. It is very quick. CLT is an easy airport to return to from overseas. Not that many flights coming in.

Since when? The last time I did in in CLT you had to go back through regular security. (The only thing you don't have to do is drop your bags. They have a special area right after customs for that). There is no special security area, you have to re clear security with the rest of the unwashed masses.

Not many flights...I just looked and today there are about 30 overseas flights between the Caribbean, Mexico, and Europe. Now depending on timing that can cause a backlog in C&I.