Adieu "all-you-can-eat-mains" at the Crown Grill

Oh2B@C

At the CG my wife skips the other courses to get 2 entrees...mussels & a steak...which now will cost $39 for her meal. We'll reevaluate going to the CG on every cruise & may stop paying extra to dine there. But that's just us & other passengers will vote with their wallet to tell Princess how we feel about the changes.

This will be the same for us. While $10 is not a lot to us, the cruise line is charging more to give us less. And I don't think it's because they are hurting financially. We will go if we receive it as perk but if no specialty dining perk is provided, we will most likely pass and eat in the main dining room which we have liked.

This will be the same for us. While $10 is not a lot to us, the cruise line is charging more to give us less. And I don't think it's because they are hurting financially. We will go if we receive it as perk but if no specialty dining perk is provided, we will most likely pass and eat in the main dining room which we have liked.

I agree, we received one nights specialty dining perk with the anniversary sale for up coming cruise.

I called and asked about it because it wasn't shown in the personalizer. They said we had it, but could not choose the date, time or venue on it. Does anyone know if they will let you trade it for OBC or maybe a coffee card, because we don't like itialian and don't want to work our cruise and specialty dining perk around their schedule.

When we went to the CG we would add the lobster tail to the fillet for a "surf and turf" but I won't pay another $10 for that

I did the "surf and turf" at Crown Grille on Grand two weeks ago and there was no extra charge. I ordered a porterhouse steak to go along with the lobster tails. Absolutely the single worst steak I have ever been served, ever. They should have paid ME to try to eat that thing. The french onion soup was very good, as was the dessert, but that steak made a very bad impression. Two bites and I gave up. I nearly needed a hack saw to cut it.

I doubt I would ever dine there again. The only saving grace was that my TA comped the meals for us. But even though we didn't have to pay for it, at least all of the food should have been edible. :(

Also remember to factor in the dinner you paid for and don't consume in the MDR though.

Price in the Specialty venues is why I never eat there. I have already paid for meals on the ship that I enjoy so why should I pay this kind of price to eat there. Sorry but I am not cheap and I do enjoy what I consider a good meal. Just can not see paying twice to eat a meal.

I did the Ultimate Ship Tour on that same cruise and someone asked our host in the galley how much the cruise line spends on each person for meals. The answer was about $11 total per person per day. This included breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. I would guess that you have spent less than $5 for your dinner in the MDR, so you haven't lost much.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I completely understand this business decision. I would just say, I am rather happy that instead of raising the price to $39 pp for everyone, they are only charging those that want to consume more than the typical entree. I can barely finish one complete entree, especially if I order any sides....and never even have room for dessert. Now, I went on a cruise with my 20 year old nephews and never sure how my sister kept enough food in the house... boy, could they eat!! I am really not trying to being critical of those with larger appetites.....so sorry if it comes off like that. But, I am still glad Princess is not raising the price for someone that orders only one entree ... and if I did want more, I would have that option to pony up another $10.

People go to the CG and eat like it's the buffet but wonders why they have now put a limit on the mains [emoji848] $29 or $15 for kids is a good deal for what you get compared to land based or other cruise lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is how it compares to Holland America. Their Pinnacle Grill is $29, but if you are 4-star, similar to Elite on Princess, it is half price; thus two for $29. I have not heard of an extra charge for another entree, but our last cruise was 3 months ago.

I agree, we received one nights specialty dining perk with the anniversary sale for up coming cruise.

I called and asked about it because it wasn't shown in the personalizer. They said we had it, but could not choose the date, time or venue on it. Does anyone know if they will let you trade it for OBC or maybe a coffee card, because we don't like itialian and don't want to work our cruise and specialty dining perk around their schedule.

We got a specialty dining from the Anniversary sale too. If you sign into Cruise Personalizer and click on the tab that says "Onboard Reservations" and scroll to the bottom, your complimentary specialty dining should be listed there.

I have never asked for trading it for OBC or a coffee card so I don't know if they will do that. I think I read somewhere that they have the right to assign the restaurant and time. But in the past, once we got on the ship, we were able to call the DINE line and make the reservation for whichever dining room and time we wanted.

I wonder how many order 2 entrees and waste most of one. I have no problem with someone who eats all or most of both entrees, but with the hunger issue around the world, if an additional charge slows down the number of people ordering and wasting, I have no problem with it. It would make me be sure I could eat most of the meal before ordering the extra stuff. For those who do eat more than one, no problem. I tend to do multiple appetizers and desserts throughout the cruise, but I do try my best to finish what I order unless I find out I don't like a dish.

I did the Ultimate Ship Tour on that same cruise and someone asked our host in the galley how much the cruise line spends on each person for meals. The answer was about $11 total per person per day. This included breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. I would guess that you have spent less than $5 for your dinner in the MDR, so you haven't lost much.

In my opinion, someone refusing to dine at a specialty restaurant because they have already paid $5 of their cruise fare for the meal in the MDR is indeed cheap. But, that is just me. The phrase "penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind. However, if you prefer to stay in the MDR because the food is to your tastes, then I can understand that. But to use the excuse that they don't want to waste a whole $5 out of the hundreds or thousands of dollars they are spending on their cruise, that makes me shake my head in wonder. Missing out on a new experience, with better food, fewer people, nicer ambiance, and better service, is a . Isn't cruising about trying new things? Get wild, people, and allow yourself be adventurous! My husband and I try all the specialty restaurants. It's part of the experience of exploring, just like at all the ports we visit.

I wonder how many order 2 entrees and waste most of one. I have no problem with someone who eats all or most of both entrees, but with the hunger issue around the world, if an additional charge slows down the number of people ordering and wasting, I have no problem with it. It would make me be sure I could eat most of the meal before ordering the extra stuff. For those who do eat more than one, no problem. I tend to do multiple appetizers and desserts throughout the cruise, but I do try my best to finish what I order unless I find out I don't like a dish.

You should eat it even if you don't like it,after all somewhere, somebody is hungry.

In my opinion, someone refusing to dine at a specialty restaurant because they have already paid $5 of their cruise fare for the meal in the MDR is indeed cheap. But, that is just me. The phrase "penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind. However, if you prefer to stay in the MDR because the food is to your tastes, then I can understand that. But to use the excuse that they don't want to waste a whole $5 out of the hundreds or thousands of dollars they are spending on their cruise, that makes me shake my head in wonder. Missing out on a new experience, with better food, fewer people, nicer ambiance, and better service, is a . Isn't cruising about trying new things? Get wild, people, and allow yourself be adventurous! My husband and I try all the specialty restaurants. It's part of the experience of exploring, just like at all the ports we visit.

I couldn't agree more. Life is short enjoy all you can. It's only money.

Says $5 cost. I'm sure what is paid is more than that. Wonder if it's marked up as much as alcohol? Ouch!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Says $5 cost. I'm sure what is paid is more than that. Wonder if it's marked up as much as alcohol? Ouch!

They purchase all supplies on large scale contracts, with enormous discounts for the huge quantities they purchase. It's not like us shopping at the local supermarket, where we buy a dozen of something at the most. They purchase by the dozens of crates, not a couple at a time. I have no doubt that the actual food costs are as low as they tell us. Why would they quote such low dollar amounts if it isn't true? If nothing else, it could appear that they are feeding us cheap, low quality food, which we all know is usually not the case. It isn't in their best interest to low ball how much they say they spend on food.

Where to begin.... This information is so convoluted it is laughable. My guess is that the average passenger is paying much more for each meal. The quoted amount was food cost only and spread over the entire number of passengers including those who do not eat a given meal. In addition, it doesn't include the cost of the infrastructure to serve or deliver the meal. I know some of the multipliers to go from basic food cost to the value of a restaurant meal. Those, at minimum, need to be considered in the calculated value.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

They purchase all supplies on large scale contracts, with enormous discounts for the huge quantities they purchase. It's not like us shopping at the local supermarket, where we buy a dozen of something at the most. They purchase by the dozens of crates, not a couple at a time. I have no doubt that the actual food costs are as low as they tell us. Why would they quote such low dollar amounts if it isn't true? If nothing else, it could appear that they are feeding us cheap, low quality food, which we all know is usually not the case. It isn't in their best interest to low ball how much they say they spend on food.

No doubt on any of that. The cost is likely $5. The price is more than that. Price meaning what the cruiser pays.

I have zero issue - as costs rise - for a cruise line to cut back some extra perk like this multiple entree thing. That is beyond the scope of a "normal meal" - I don't ever have 2 entrees - with the exception of a cruise where I might be playing mix and match.

I don't see them restricting in the MDR because much of this food can at times be found in unlimited quantities in the buffet. But these special restaurants are really unique and draw people that are in it for the quality not quantity of food per se.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we ate at the Crown Grill last September we didn't know what to expect. We ordered the main dish and sides and were quite pleased. But then they brought us lobster tails which we were not expecting. We were the only diners that evening so they may have just brought us what they had available, but we were thrilled they did. Now to find out it isn't likely to happen again without paying more is disappointing. Any change from previous service seems a decrease in service.

I just looked on our booking at the Crown Grill menu and see the changes. I also see that they changed the lobster from 4 oz tails to a Maine lobster tail 6-7 oz.

When did the hand cut Beef filet Tartare get on the menu?!!

...I did the Ultimate Ship Tour on that same cruise and someone asked our host in the galley how much the cruise line spends on each person for meals. The answer was about $11 total per person per day. This included breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. I would guess that you have spent less than $5 for your dinner in the MDR, so you haven't lost much.
Just remember that at a land based restaurant the cost of the food ingredients average between 30% and 33% so your meals for the day would typically cost between $33 and $37 at land based restaurants. If you add $15 to $16 to the $29 cover, that is around $45 to eat at the Crown Grill.

We are going to be on the Ruby this fall and will probably try SHARE one evening. We are also booked on the Royal when she comes to the west coast in 2019 and want to try one of the Winemaker's dinners. Otherwise, we will probably skip the Specialty restaurants in the future unless a promo includes one for "free." At least up to now we have been satisfied with the dining room food on our cruises. This issue is taking something away that had been available before. If they had lowered the price back to $25 with the one entree limit that might have been a different story. Just MHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am okay with th policy... would guess some servers may be more flexible than stated policy... like many other polies on board. For us, one main is more than enough... we go to the Crown Grill every night, like the peace and quiet... usually have a set table, works out very well.

But these special restaurants are really unique and draw people that are in it for the quality not quantity of food per se.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quality that used to be in the main dining rooms.

Sent from my laptop using MTF