ms Amsterdam & ms Volendam in Juneau Jul 7, 2017

Scrapnana

Do the cruise lines negotiate for the better docks or is it luck of the draw?

Disney is always at A.J. There is a pecking order; ships thatcall most often get preference. If there are ships that call with the samefrequency, the biggest one wins. The cruise company makes abooking, normally two years in advance. If the ship is on anormal day call (as opposed to a turnaround - Juneau is not a turnaround port), then the assigned location depends on the following factors:

1. Length of available dock

2. Number of guests on board

3. Arrival and departure time

4. Frequency of calling. (a 7 day ship takes precedence over a 10 day ship)

5. Draft of the ship and the ships length.

6. Harbor fees (some ports go on tonnage, some on ships length, some on numberof guests on board)

Pop quiz; which cruise line was Disney Cruise Line's predecessor as "Uncle Walt's Cruise Line?" - They no longer exist

Just a guess. Did they take over the SS Rotterdam and make it the Rembrandt?

Slow to the draw AGAIN!

Roy

Another docking question. Skagway is not a real turnaround port but is the transfer point for Yukon/Denali land extensions. Is there a specific dock there that Nieuw Amsterdam and Volendam use there?

Roy

Another docking question. Skagway is not a real turnaround port but is the transfer point for Yukon/Denali land extensions. Is there a specific dock there that Nieuw Amsterdam and Volendam use there?

Roy

HAL usually winds up at the Railroad Dock however, I remember a turnaround in Skagway where the ship was at the Broadway Dock

Confirming where (bollard numbers 13 & 14) the mooring lines go so there is no misunderstanding

Heaving lines (the light ones which are thrown (or shot) to the dock) go first, followed by the heavy springs

Gangway is in good position per the SECO so both springs are made tight to keep the ship from moving

That's the most comms between bridge/captain, his two officers on fwd and aft mooring decks and his SECO at the gangway we've heard in a long time. That's a British (fwd - from Liverpool) and a Dutch (aft) third officer in charge of the mooring decks this morning :cool:

Edited by Copper10-8

Missed it, but I guess there wasn't much to be seen. Our guests arrive tomorrow, and I'm off to check out a new gluten-free bakery in Victoria.

Kathi, I often wish my car had side thrusters, like the ships, so I could manoeuvre sideways as well as they do!:)

See you later.

Missed it, but I guess there wasn't much to be seen. Our guests arrive tomorrow, and I'm off to check out a new gluten-free bakery in Victoria.

Kathi, I often wish my car had side thrusters, like the ships, so I could manoeuvre sideways as well as they do!:)

See you later.

Somebody, forgot who, came out with a car that backs in and parks automatically, Good for those, who shall remain unnamed, who have difficulties completing such a maneuver ;p

Note to self: While the Volendam Tracy Arm is officially 10-10:30, it looks like the actual transfer of the passengers to St. Phillip is actually about 9:15. Next July 20 will not be a good day to sleep too late.

Roy