P&O questionnaire

Eglesbrech

Every time I have booked a cruise this year I have been sent a questionnaire from P&O.

It is getting quite tedious but I keep filling them in. I always chose the most extreme answer as I have always understood these carry more weight in this type of survey.

Every time I have booked a cruise this year I have been sent a questionnaire from P&O.

It is getting quite tedious but I keep filling them in. I always chose the most extreme answer as I have always understood these carry more weight in this type of survey.

I answer as honestly as I can which often results in answers at the extreme end of the scale. I always give excellent for tip dependent answers. The most difficult answers to interpret on surveys are those who sit on the fence, so for example answer a preference of 3 on a 1-5 scale, this is why most surveys now force the ranking by having an even number of responses say 1-6 so you have to express a preference one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We now keep being pestered by a company saying they want us to review Britannia after our last cruise. Can't remember but unless you opt out it is put on line. Feefo or something like that. We have ignored it.

I try to give an honest answer to all questions, most of which do seem to be toward the middle, especially the rather silly one where they ask if we would recommend their cruise line to a friend or relative. I would always preface any such recommendation with lots of caveats, just in case the enquirer is daft enough to accept my advice.

Even MPs don't have to wear ties now. Times they are a changing and hey, you would be stretching it a bit to describe P&O as a classy cruise line.

Let's vote for comfort.

David.

I know this thread has focussed on dress code (fwiw I'd rather they went down the celebrity route on this) but just wondering if the questionnaire asked about the sailaways.

Our first cruise was p&o in 2009 on Arcadia. Most sailaways were quite low key, some music, staff carrying trays of drinks, watching the port disappear into the distance at the aft. Bliss. The only exception that sticks in my mind was the Vera lynn, rule Brittania thing they do with the union jacks.

Our next one was 2014 again Arcadia and they'd really ramped it up. First nights sail away from Southampton there was this awful compere doing some end of the pier type routine telling awful jokes. I left when the birdie song came on. I missed the more low key stuff. Sadly the next sailaway was the same. After that we gave up on going to them which was a pity as the aft is the best place to sail away from. We did the other sailaways from the side of the ship. Not the same.

I wonder if it depends on the entertainment team? Or if we were just "lucky" with our first cruise. There are lots of YouTube videos of p&o sailaways - YMCA features heavily lol.

I know this thread has focussed on dress code (fwiw I'd rather they went down the celebrity route on this) but just wondering if the questionnaire asked about the sailaways.

I don't remember anything specific about sailaways but they did ask more generally about entertainment, shows, quizzes, choirs etc and quite specific questions about the type of musicality would prefer.

Our first cruise was p&o in 2009 on Arcadia. Most sailaways were quite low key, some music, staff carrying trays of drinks, watching the port disappear into the distance at the aft. Bliss. The only exception that sticks in my mind was the Vera lynn, rule Brittania thing they do with the union jacks.

Our next one was 2014 again Arcadia and they'd really ramped it up. First nights sail away from Southampton there was this awful compere doing some end of the pier type routine telling awful jokes. I left when the birdie song came on. I missed the more low key stuff. Sadly the next sailaway was the same. After that we gave up on going to them which was a pity as the aft is the best place to sail away from. We did the other sailaways from the side of the ship. Not the same.

I wonder if it depends on the entertainment team? Or if we were just "lucky" with our first cruise. There are lots of YouTube videos of p&o sailaways - YMCA features heavily lol.

I've never seen a question on sail-away but I'm definitely with you on this, we never go to them now, preferring to seek out a peaceful area or balcony. The funny thing is I'm not sure even the younger cruisers they are trying to attract would enjoy the unfunny, red-coat, YMCA event; it's dated!

Should we be giving free market research time after time?

On the ship, every cruise. Then when we get home after the cruise.

When is enough enough? Yes i know the argument for these things.

However the questions are always the same. Should they be asking

Just the first timers?

I think they would get a very rosy glow if they only asked first timers. If you look at reviews those on their first cruise tend to be a lot more positive than regular pax.

I don't mind providing feedback but what does annoy me is that they never seem to change anything as a result of it.

If I use one of my personal bugbears as an example, their embarcation process is truly dreadful when compared to other lines and they must know it as people like me (and there are lots of us that don't like it) tell them after every single cruise - result nothing changes or improves.

People tell them that sun beg hogs are really annoying - result, they do nothing about it.

Customer feedback should be a tool for continuous improvement. If it's not, it's pointless.

Should we be giving free market research time after time?

On the ship, every cruise. Then when we get home after the cruise.

When is enough enough? Yes i know the argument for these things.

However the questions are always the same. Should they be asking

Just the first timers?

Hi SS! The survey is the same every time so they can track trends and identify shifts in passenger preferences as time passes and the demographic changes.

I try to give an honest answer to all questions, most of which do seem to be toward the middle, especially the rather silly one where they ask if we would recommend their cruise line to a friend or relative. I would always preface any such recommendation with lots of caveats, just in case the enquirer is daft enough to accept my advice.

I would never give an unsolicited recommendation to anyone, so strictly I ought to give the lowest available mark. However as I suspect that would be misinterpreted, I instead give a mark about two-thirds of the way up the scale.

Questionnaires are becoming something of a pain. It seems nowadays that any outfit that I buy anything from online wants me to complete a questionnaire, so that I now ignore most such requests.

I was unfortunate enough to witness unacceptable behaviour towards a trans-gender passenger.

Oh that's awful, that poor person. Just out of interest did anyone try to support the person being victimised? I hope the staff at least took them to task.

Hopefully one day that sort of thing will be as unacceptable as racist behaviour on board. Attitudes have definitely changed for the better, I live in a large village only 2,000 people and there are two transgender people here and from what I can tell people are fairly blasé about it.

Oh that's awful, that poor person. Just out of interest did anyone try to support the person being victimised? I hope the staff at least took them to task.

Hopefully one day that sort of thing will be as unacceptable as racist behaviour on board. Attitudes have definitely changed for the better, I live in a large village only 2,000 people and there are two transgender people here and from what I can tell people are fairly blasé about it.

Unfortunately a waitress was joining in the fun making, my husband challenged the situation and wrote to the Captain ☹️

Questionnaires are becoming something of a pain. It seems nowadays that any outfit that I buy anything from online wants me to complete a questionnaire, so that I now ignore most such requests.

I quite agree. What also annoys me is that there a probably a large number of people in these organisations paid decent money to interpret the answers from these questionnaires and who pays their wages? We do of course in the cost of what we pay for the product. I guess a decent computer system will total the tick box answers ready for interpretation but do the written answers ever get looked at?

I know this thread has focussed on dress code (fwiw I'd rather they went down the celebrity route on this)

I must admit that we preferred the 'Evening Chic' code (or whatever its current name is) on Celebrity and only once a week. There were some excellent outfits and more individuality and we felt that having these evenings just once a week is about right.

Just had to answer re the people talking about sailaways. On our first cruise (Azura 2012) we had a classical music sailaway! That was great! Made a change but I've never had it since!

Just had to answer re the people talking about sailaways. On our first cruise (Azura 2012) we had a classical music sailaway! That was great! Made a change but I've never had it since!

I forgot that they even did these and yes they were a lovely change from cheesy music played too loud. The cheesy music is however good on the pre Christmas cruises, playing all the old Christmas tunes.

Sailing out of Venice with opera playing on the ships PAs was also a highlight on one cruise.

We had a classical sailaway 2 weeks ago on Aurora to Norway.

That really brings back memories.

We were on the Arcadia Alaska cruise in 2011 and classical music was played as we cruised the Alaskan fjords.

It made your skin tingle.

Nor are you likely to have it again, if you mean live classical music. Regrettably, the resident classical musicians have fallen victim to P&Os cost cutting, along with the steel band in the Caribbean, the circus skills team, the rock school on summer cruises, the band in the pub, the second cocktail pianist, ....Although you may get piped classical music if you are lucky.

PS What about a country music or blues sail away?

Edited by Denarius
clarification

Nor are you likely to have it again, if you mean live classical music. Regrettably, the resident classical musicians have fallen victim to P&Os cost cutting, along with the steel band in the Caribbean, the circus skills team, the rock school on summer cruises, the band in the pub, the second cocktail pianist, ....Although you may get piped classical music if you are lucky.

PS What about a country music or blues sail away?

In 2012 it wasn't live musicians, just played over the sound system! Was stirring stuff though!