Carnival bait and switch

louisianaguy

OP I really think this is a case of buyer beware and is on you and not Carnvial. You should always look at all the terms associated with a booking and the location of the room to say avoid being under the galley.

I had no issue discovering the lowest rates were for porthole cabins. When we cruise, we have a balcony and the kids have an inside. We can NEVER get the lowest advertised rate because their interior is necessarily a higher category. So to accurately price the cruise, I run a full booking. Did you realize that the base rate of $488 did not include taxes and fees? So truly, the only way you can know your costs is to start a booking. It has always been this way.

Good luck finding another cruise line that fits your budget and advertises more fairly in your opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bait and switch would be if Carnival advertised a $488.00 fare that was never available to a reasonable amount of passengers. Even though you are disappointed that the $488.00 fare is a 1A it's clearly NOT a bait and switch. If the 7 bucks a day to upgrade is unreasonable, perhaps now's not a good time financially to take a cruise.

try MSC

Not sure it would help. I just did a search on their site and for an 8 night cruise in February 2018 it shows a "starting from" price of $589pp for an interior cabin. If you click through to actually book it shows all interior cabins are booked and you need to book an Ocean view for $739.

I agree OP it's not something a person would consider a legit business practice, but it seems to be working for Carnival. .
Holland America has begun using this approach. Royal Caribbean does something similar. They put the non-refundable and refundable next to each other, and the non-refundable is the default choice and significantly more prominent (509 px vs 470 px).

try MSC

If the OP got discombobulated by 1A interior/upper/lower pricing on Carnival, they'll have a field day trying to figure out MSC's Bella, Fantastica and Aurea pricing for the same accomodations.

This is nothing new. And certainly no different than booking a hotel on the beach. Often the advertised "low as" price isn't an ocean facing room. I wouldn't blast a hotel for marketing their lowest cost rooms. If you want a "better" room/cabin in a more desirable location, you'd have to expect to pay more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

since when did carnival start advertising rates for bunk bed rooms??? I have never seen this. So it must be new. When I go.t an email saying I could get an interior room for $488 a person I was excited. Talked to the whole family and started planing the thing right then. Started checking with work to make sure I had days off. Everything was set. I logged on the next day and I was happy to see the rate was still there. As I began to book the tickets I get to the section where I chose my room and I'm hit wit a choice. Upper and lower bunk beds or I can get the regular room for $7 more a day. This really irked me so I called carnival and said you are advertising the interior room for 488. they then told me the upper/lower is considered interior now. Even though they come with a porthole. I argued that those are not regular interior rooms and that they are rooms that they stuck here and there to use as much space as they can. And are very limited. Well of course carnival does not take feedback very well. So I told them to shove their cruise up you know where. Anyone else tired of these tactics?

So now I'm looking for another line who uses more upfront pricing and does not try to trick you. Also one with better service. Recommendations????

There are a lot of businesses that use the "from" pricing, only to find out that what you want is actually more. When looking at prices like this, I know I will never pay the lowest price. Haven't you ever come across this?

I don't know how long the cruise is, but if it was only $7 more per day, I don't get why you wouldn't just pay that. Especially since you did all the other leg work to book the cruise.

In the future, always research and read the terms and conditions when purchasing anything that is substantial $$$.

Not sure it would help. I just did a search on their site and for an 8 night cruise in February 2018 it shows a "starting from" price of $589pp for an interior cabin. If you click through to actually book it shows all interior cabins are booked and you need to book an Ocean view for $739.

Not the old Bait and Switch! And I thought Carnival was the only cruise line to do that.

since when did carnival start advertising rates for bunk bed rooms??? I have never seen this. So it must be new. When I go.t an email saying I could get an interior room for $488 a person I was excited. Talked to the whole family and started planing the thing right then. Started checking with work to make sure I had days off. Everything was set. I logged on the next day and I was happy to see the rate was still there. As I began to book the tickets I get to the section where I chose my room and I'm hit wit a choice. Upper and lower bunk beds or I can get the regular room for $7 more a day. This really irked me so I called carnival and said you are advertising the interior room for 488. they then told me the upper/lower is considered interior now. Even though they come with a porthole. I argued that those are not regular interior rooms and that they are rooms that they stuck here and there to use as much space as they can. And are very limited. Well of course carnival does not take feedback very well. So I told them to shove their cruise up you know where. Anyone else tired of these tactics?

So now I'm looking for another line who uses more upfront pricing and does not try to trick you. Also one with better service. Recommendations????

I love the upper/lower cabins! My best friend always cruise together, so bunks are fine with us. The added perk of finding that specific cabin with a port hole with interior prices [emoji119]🏽 sorry you have to pay an extra $7pp/pd for comfort.

I did many solo sailings in 1A inside cabins #6393, 7345 and 8357 on Conquest class ships. They were mostly when Carnival had the 150% single supplement, so I sailed often if I could get any of these cabins. They are right off the laundry rooms, but quiet, and slightly aft of mid ship.

I always had twin beds pushed together in line with the ship's direction. These are not like the forward 1A cabins, and have a few more square feet than a regular inside.

I never considered that I was baited and switched when I booked these cabins.

I did many solo sailings in 1A inside cabins #6393, 7345 and 8357 on Conquest class ships. They were mostly when Carnival had the 150% single supplement, so I sailed often if I could get any of these cabins. They are right off the laundry rooms, but quiet, and slightly aft of mid ship.

I always had twin beds pushed together in line with the ship's direction. These are not like the forward 1A cabins, and have a few more square feet than a regular inside.

I never considered that I was baited and switched when I booked these cabins.

I also had 6393 but on Glory. The beds were not aligned with the ship's direction. I believe it varies depending on the ship. I wouldn't book that cabin again though as it was right next to a Room Service closet and from early AM until late PM there was constant noise from what sounded like metal pans. After a few days of no sleep I went to GS and complained. It was quieter after that.

I hope that OP doesn't expect to purchase the vehicle in the commercial at the price listed (the "from" price), or the book that AI at the first price listed, or book that $49 fare on Southwest for absolutely wherever they want to go.

Seriously people, read the entire text and take responsibility for your own oversights.

Oh my gosh, I'm going to say something that is not anti Carnival. If you are promised something by a company and the company gives you something less, or it is not what was advertised is Bait and Switch. Since the beginning of time, on ship, some staterooms had upper and lower single beds. Did anyone watch the Titanic? They offer you a stateroom, with two beds, and clearly told you that it was an upper and lower. How is this bait and switch. On line, with all cruise lines, they tell you a price. Since when did any cruiseline show you the total price until after you go through the booking. First, they show you the available rooms, and you pick what you want, or pick an upgraded room which cost more. Than you pick other stuff, and make that decision of what you want, and the price. Than they tack on taxes and port charges. The final number you get is your price, and at that time, you make the deposit is the time Carnival, or any cruise line accepts the offer. If they change that offer and give you a different product that you carefully selected, than that is bait and switch. But until you agree to the price, and hit accept, it is still up to you to decide.

On a short cruise, I would take one of those rooms. (Not on Carnival but other cruise lines yes.).

That's not bait & switch. It's no different than car dealers saying they have cars starting at x price and that car being a very basic model. If you want to add leather, navigation, etc., you are charged more. Also no different than new home subdivisions offering homes at x price. If you upgrade flooring, countertops, etc., you will pay more. It only makes sense for a company to show the lowest available in their advertising. Many people are fine booking 1A cabins - my neighbor & her daughter do it all the time. I would have no problem with one myself, but hubby is not so agreeable.

I hope that OP doesn't expect to purchase the vehicle in the commercial at the price listed (the "from" price), or the book that AI at the first price listed, or book that $49 fare on Southwest for absolutely wherever they want to go.

Seriously people, read the entire text and take responsibility for your own oversights.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read through this post.

Airline fare was the first thing I thought of as I have been pricing air to go visit family this fall. Yes I can fly for their advertised lowest price but I have to be at the airport at 4AM or I can pay $100 more and get there at 6 AM.

The last car I bought was advertised for $29,999. But that was the basic model. The dealership had several at that price but I wanted options that added to the cost.

I think OP was disappointed and needed to vent. But I also think we all need to be sure of the words we use. This was not "bait and switch".

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read through this post.

Airline fare was the first thing I thought of as I have been pricing air to go visit family this fall. Yes I can fly for their advertised lowest price but I have to be at the airport at 4AM or I can pay $100 more and get there at 6 AM.

The last car I bought was advertised for $29,999. But that was the basic model. The dealership had several at that price but I wanted options that added to the cost.

I think OP was disappointed and needed to vent. But I also think we all need to be sure of the words we use. This was not "bait and switch".

you have much better luck than me when i go in :')

I thought bait & switch was when a company (many times car dealers) advertise a low priced specific vehicle but then miraculously the vehicle already sold & they have no other vehicles for that price. They then try to sell you a higher priced vehicle.

Perhaps the OP thinks it was false advertising rather than bait & switch. Either way, this is neither - they advertised an inside cabin from $488 and that's what they had available - an inside, upper/lower cabin. By the way, not all upper/lowers have portholes, so if that's the issue (it's not interior if it has a porthole), then you don't have to take a porthole.

I've booked interior cabins numerous times & most of the time when you get to the choices the lower cost is for upper/lower (not only porthole) with x amount more each day for interior with single or king bed.

I have to agree with those saying no way a person see's an advertisement, gets everyone ready to book, asks for time off, etc. without going through the booking process - how do you know how much the port fees and taxes are???

By the way, not all upper/lowers have portholes, so if that's the issue (it's not interior if it has a porthole), then you don't have to take a porthole.

Carnival classifies the 1As with portholes as insides. You can view them as either an Upper/Lower or Upper/Lower with Portholes. These are pics from selecting Interior and then Upper/Lower. 2112 has portholes, the others don't.

89831a78947d7a24d4be2356e5fab1e3.png

b69bd89d2979c14682c326200489b0f8.png