Where do you book your cruise?

chrisdar1

Quick question: was doing comparison shopping for an upcoming cruise I'm looking to book and the price was a lot cheaper on a fairly well known travel site versus going directly to the cruiseline website...

Do you all usually book directly from the cruiseline website, a different travel site, or through a travel agent?

All of the promos and perks were available through the "well known" travel site, just wasn't sure why the cruise is coming up $300 cheaper...

Thanks for any advice!

People book at various places, depending on their particular situations.

Some people book with travel agents to get the extra discounts you are seeing, or to get a helping hand with the process. Others book direct and cut out that extra person in the chain. Others book with either for their own particular reasons.

There is no right or wrong. It's whatever suits you best.

Quick question: was doing comparison shopping for an upcoming cruise I'm looking to book and the price was a lot cheaper on a fairly well known travel site versus going directly to the cruiseline website...

Do you all usually book directly from the cruiseline website, a different travel site, or through a travel agent?

All of the promos and perks were available through the "well known" travel site, just wasn't sure why the cruise is coming up $300 cheaper...

Thanks for any advice!

We book with a private cruise agency that offers FREE travel insurance .They also give points for every cruise booked that can be used for OBC on future cruises.

The agency located in NY is open 7 days a week.

Used to book with travel agents. When cancellation and change became to high. Also never got anything than what the cruise line was offering. Started booking direct , more control over my booking with n middle person.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for any advice!

I've booked our last two cruises with a place out of Princeton, NJ. Google it, I'm sure you'll find it. Anyway they saved me over $600 on each cruise, compared to NCL best pricing. I should have starting using them a long time ago. Not only is the overall price cheaper we have $250 OBC

I always check the cruiseline's website and a few other sites for the same cruise, but so far I've always found the same price for the cruise itself for the cabin class I wanted (it's not really apples-to-apples until you compare the actual cabin class). I always end up booking through the same TA (large membership warehouse) because they've always issued about 8% refundable OBC and I really like being able to do the booking online. I'm kind of a control freak that way, preferring to do all the research and type all the booking details in myself online rather than talking to someone on the phone (although that's available too, of course).

People book at various places, depending on their particular situations.

Some people book with travel agents to get the extra discounts you are seeing, or to get a helping hand with the process. Others book direct and cut out that extra person in the chain. Others book with either for their own particular reasons.

There is no right or wrong. It's whatever suits you best.

Exactly!!

I usually book through our big box store's travel agency. Even though the Cost is usually the same, we get extra OBC. This time, however, I'm booking direct since we're doing a group. I could have set the group up with the TA, but it was a lot more hoops to jump through with them.

For land vacations I usually book myself on-line and get great deals. However, for the cruise it self I go with a travel agent, Expedia Cruise Ship Centres here in Ontario, Canada. I find that they seem to know the inside scoop on deals (since they work directly with the cruise line) and have given us great advice in the past.

As others have noted, its a price v. service mental computation we all do. Some TA's will discount, some won't. Some TA's provide service, and some don't. Some NCL customer rep.'s will provide good service, some YOU have to educate.

My opinion is that if you've done the research here on cc, and know what you want its better to minimize cost.

It's not too hard to get discounts, but just be aware that TA's generally cannot advertise rates below NCL's rack rate.

We shoot for about a 7% discount off rack rate when we book, to go along with the NCL credit card (3%).

Book through the cruise! I cut out the middle man no need to wait around! The perks TA offer not worth my headache to wait for them to switch or fix a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We book with a private cruise agency that offers FREE travel insurance .They also give points for every cruise booked that can be used for OBC on future cruises.

The agency located in NY is open 7 days a week.

Please share the name :D

I book my cruises thru the cruise line first, and then have it transferred to my TA. That way I get the cabin I want, and all perks NCL offers, plus the perks my TA offers (which is usually several hundred $) . I know which cruise to book long before I make a call.....I have a lot of time on my hands, which allows me to search a lot.

While we have used NCL direct a few times, we normally book directly with a TA. Each time we check our 3 or 4 trusted TA sites. It is never the same TA that offers the best deal each time. If you have the time, it's worth checking around. If you like one TA, many will match the other offers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We use a time share TA the savings were great but initially the wanted a sizable upfront non refundable deposit. With the cruise being almost a year out that was a deal breaker for me. They ten waved their deposit and all i had to pay was NCL'S deposit.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

It is but there are probably people on the NCL forum that cruise other cruise lines.

I'm sure there are.

But your point would apply to any thread. Why don't we discuss the other lines when anyone asks about speciality dining, or dress codes, or anything really?

It's the NCL board, so we are talking about NCL. That's what happens.