downlining on RCI

Already asked this question using general forum, but trying to ask again: is there any rule for downlining (i.e. premature disembarkation) ? We 'll disembark 4 days early (14 days cruise as total) than planned arrival with the cruise line approval, but even though we paid for the entire cruise - should we pay tips for the entire cruise as well or only for the days when we are onboard ?

I would pay tips for the entire cruise.

In fact, I think they will require full prepaid gratuities if you take a partial cruise:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=322&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Purchase+&faqId=623

Thanks Clarea for your response.

It makes a little sense, though, to request gratuities for the days when, actually, no service provided for the off boarded guests...

I'll check with the Guest service while onboard.

It makes a little sense, though, to request gratuities for the days when, actually, no service provided for the off boarded guests...

It may not make sense to you, but your stateroom attendant and wait staff are getting less money because you left early. It's not like the cruise line can sell your stateroom to someone else for the days you will be absent.

That's correct about the money, but they will perform less job - no need to make the room and serve the meal. My assumption that money is paid for the accomplished job. In general, "The customary amount of a tip can be a specific range of monetary amounts or a certain percentage of the bill based on the perceived quality of the service given". So, it should be decided by the clients and not cruise admin

That's correct about the money, but they will perform less job - no need to make the room and serve the meal. My assumption that money is paid for the accomplished job. In general, "The customary amount of a tip can be a specific range of monetary amounts or a certain percentage of the bill based on the perceived quality of the service given". So, it should be decided by the clients and not cruise admin

If the FAQ is accurate, you may not have a choice. Getting approval to leave the cruise early may require full prepaid gratuities.

So, let me understand. You've asked the question before, apparently didn't like the answer so you're asking it again. Still don't like the answer so you'll check with Guest Services once on board.

Would I be incorrect in my assumption that you have already decided not to pay the gratuities for the days you will not be on board and were hoping for validation of your decision ?

Why not just do what you want to do ? Would your decision be swayed by the consensus of opinion on an anonymous cruise board ?

Wpgcruise, at the beginning - sarcastic tone is not appropriate for this forum. To your statement: I started this thread because I didn't have response on my question on general forum at that time - not because I didn't like someone response. Also, I'm not making any decision at this time - I'm simply gathering info. Once again: please, refrain from making any assumption or conclusion without appropriate base as this may insult your fellow cruisers

Wpgcruise, at the beginning - sarcastic tone is not appropriate for this forum. To your statement: I started this thread because I didn't have response on my question on general forum at that time - not because I didn't like someone response. Also, I'm not making any decision at this time - I'm simply gathering info. Once again: please, refrain from making any assumption or conclusion without appropriate base as this may insult your fellow cruisers
I'm with Wpgcruise. You're just looking for a way to deprive hardworking and underpaid staff a few bucks a day in tips and validation from the rest of us to do so. This is a question that should not even need to be asked. If you can afford a 14-day cruise, you can afford the full tips for the entire cruise for the staff that depends on those tips for most of their income. Pay the full tips and don't try to screw over the staff, who will not be able to make up the lost income.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I am not tying to be snarky, but I legitimately don't understand why you would ask a question on here, not like the answer, the say you are going to ask onboard. Why did you even bother to ask?

I'm with Wpgcruise. You're just looking for a way to deprive hardworking and underpaid staff a few bucks a day in tips and validation from the rest of us to do so. This is a question that should not even need to be asked. If you can afford a 14-day cruise, you can afford the full tips for the entire cruise for the staff that depends on those tips for most of their income. Pay the full tips and don't try to screw over the staff, who will not be able to make up the lost income.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Well put!

I guess maybe that will help you sleep well if you're able to short the crew some of their income........:rolleyes:

Tip for the entire cruise. How many of you want to be paid less on Tuesday when you put out for less effort than on Thursday when you worked really, really hard?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had to debark early in Jamaica once when an appointment in Miami was moved forward. You have to go to guest services and fill out some paperwork. They'll give you a time to leave, but you have to wait for the port agent to personally take you off the ship and through customs. No big deal as people do it all the time, but you can't leave whenever you want.

We've just done this to disembark in India for a couple of days to visit the Taj Mahal and then reboard the ship.

There is a form (Downline Request) you must fill in prior to boarding the ship and it does now cost $65 once approval has been received. They provide a number to call to pay the money and finalize the arrangements.

Also, I think that the tips become part of the employee's salary. Whether they service you for the full cruise or not, they are there to do it regardless. I would have been feeling a little annoyed if every time at my place of work when there was a fire alarm, an emergency drill evacuation, a 'leave work early' day due to storms, etc....I didn't get paid. I was there to work....but circumstances beyond my control made me leave my desk and not perform a job.

If you choose to leave the cruise early, then just pay the gratuities and feel good knowing that these workers got a little break in their busy day. It's one of those things that, down the road, you'll feel good that you did.

That's correct about the money, but they will perform less job - no need to make the room and serve the meal. My assumption that money is paid for the accomplished job.

So what you're saying is, they can end their day early and go home? Even without having to clean your room for a few days, they are still stuck on that ship...at work...and like everyone else said, you're looking for justification to short them.

No. If you decide to take it upon yourself to disembark early, you still need to fulfill your obligation to pay the full gratuities. It's the right thing to do.

Tipping hast totally gone out of hand!:eek:

Not really. It's been a standard on cruise ships for years. Here in Canada...the servers in restaurants make an hourly wage lower than those in retail stores....even at the minimum level.....because 'they' know that the servers will earn a 'tip' when the customer pays the bill. Clerks in retail stores do not earn tips. Those 'tips' have become part of their expected salary. That's where things have gone wrong...the 'expected' part. Not every server performs well enough to earn a tip, but we're made to feel obligated to give them one because it's used to bring their salary up to par with their counterparts in the retail industry.

But it's part of life as we know it....get used to it.