MS Oosterdam - what a disapointment (dirty, worn out, noro virus)

Stefan_Cruise

Maybe you were lucky or you have an other "unterstanding" about cleanness! Have you tried one of the public restrooms?

Have been in many of them on Oosterdam and her sisters. The only ones that have been questionable were the ones out by the aft Sea View pool. They get a lot of hard use and have outside entrances that expose them to even more salt air. Actually when I saw your pictures I thought that they looked like the aft Lido rest rooms

We just got off the Amsterdam. When we enter our stateroom, the first thing we do is take Clorox wipes and meticulously go over the entire cabin. My DH starts in the bathroom, I start in the main room; then we switch places and do it all over again.

Our room was not clean upon arrival. There were long term dried stains from spills on the desk and end tables. It looked like all the steward did was make-up the beds and put in fresh towels. I had to scrub the filthy surfaces with a hot soapy washcloth to get them clean.

The balcony, on the either hand, was sparkling clean to the point that my husband said "that could be used as a hospital room."

Then to top it off, there was a discrepancy between our credit card and the final bill. I called HAL and was told that we had been charged $70 for items that were removed from the cabin at disembarkation. At departure,we did not remove anything from the cabin that belonged to the ship. Fortunately HAL graciously removed those charges from our credit card. I was told by the rep that this sort of thing happens frequently due to the speed at which they "go through" the cabins for the new guests coming on. That quick speed explains the lack of an adequate cabin cleaning.

The good news is that we did not detect any smoking from the balconies.

The public areas were immaculate with furnishings showing little or no wear.

Edited by JudithLynne

always surprised by how different some peoples cruises are -- On Oosterdam 3 years ago and had none of these experiences. Ship was older but not awful - lines sometimes but I'm not above a line or two -- no food issues. Sorry you hated it.

My family and I were on the same cruise as the OP. I do not know what they expected but the Lady O delivered for our family. There were places of rust here and there but I think all ships have rust issues. Did not hurt my enjoyment of my cruise. There were times when I felt that the ship was "under-crewed" but it wasn't really an issue. A few minutes wait for food rarely adversely affects anyone on a cruise. There have been a lot of changes to cruising in general over the past few years, some good, some not so great but as long as people want to cruise for a minimal $$$ amount, things have to trimmed. I am sorry that the OP had such a bad experience.

Interesting... just looked at the CDC GI illness reports. I see Nieuw Amsterdam 7/22 to 7/29 and Noordam 7/23 to 7/30/ Also Volendam 7/12 to 7/26. No mention of the Oosterdam or Westerdam at all- must have been very few cases as the threshold to report to CDC isn't very high.

Interesting... just looked at the CDC GI illness reports. I see Nieuw Amsterdam 7/22 to 7/29 and Noordam 7/23 to 7/30/ Also Volendam 7/12 to 7/26. No mention of the Oosterdam or Westerdam at all- must have been very few cases as the threshold to report to CDC isn't very high.

I'm seeing that as a positive thing for our Oosterdam sailing! :)

Three HAL ships reporting GI to CDC and reports of two others about the same time. I'd bet someone (or several someones) that work in the terminal had it. In the case of Norovirus a person can remain contagious for several days after symptoms are over

More concerned about the condition of the ship than the virus.

Have spoken to several friends that have been on Oosterdam over the past two months and was assured she was lovely and the had no problems.

Last year on Westerdam a woman went into great detail telling me what to complain about after the cruise to get credit toward the next cruise and/or future OBC. She bragged about zero on board charges as she beought her own booze on and removed the HSC on the last day.

We met sitting in the hydro pool and i mentioned that it wasn't free. She said it is if you complain loud enough.

I was speechless (doesn't happen to me very often)

Last year on Westerdam a woman went into great detail telling me what to complain about after the cruise to get credit toward the next cruise and/or future OBC. She bragged about zero on board charges as she beought her own booze on and removed the HSC on the last day.

We met sitting in the hydro pool and i mentioned that it wasn't free. She said it is if you complain loud enough.

They walk among us, don't they.............Gotta love 'em :cool:

Have spoken to several friends that have been on Oosterdam over the past two months and was assured she was lovely and the had no problems.

Good to know.

Unbelievable, but I'm not naive enough to know that they are in fact out there! :o

My mom and I were on the oosterdam for 30 days this spring traveling from Tampa to Alaska disembarking in Seattle . The experience was exceptional-would do it again anytime! Nothing's perfect but close to it [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are counting days until we board Oosterdam on 25 September. Oosterdam has a very special place in our hearts. We were married in the Crows Nest on Oosterdam in 2013 and honeymooned in Alaska.

Hoping we will be able to get our same table in PG every night. Would be perfect if our favorite server Clifford could be there. Since Oosterdam will be in Europe next year we are celebrating our 5th early.

I made 15 cruises on different cruise lines (MSC, Costa, RCL, Seabourn, Oceania, etc), but I have never seen a ship in such an awful condition. Disembarked two days ago in Seattle from the cruise on the HAL Oosterdam (Alaska - 16th to 23th of july 2017). Here are the pros and cons:

Pro:

- First time in Alaska was wonderfull

- Good food (sometimes in the Lido Market is was not very warm)

- friendly and fast service in the Bars and the Cafe

- Neptune Suite with a large veranda

- non-alcoholic-drinks not too expensive

- nice piano-players and a good band in the B.B.King-Venue

Cons:

- extrem worn out ship (take a look at the pictures)

- Lido Market extremly crowded - you have to stay in line nearly at every station

- 25 minutes waiting time for a burger is a joke (then it was cold)

- dirty cabin at embarkation (hairs everywhere, letter from the past cruiser in the safe, in the bathroom it smelt like urine, veranda was dirty too, we found cigarette ends on the veranda, and so on)

- even as a suite guest, you have to pay for every specialty restaurant visit

- AC in the cabin was a joke (either it blows warm oder cold and directly on the bed)

Here are a few photos of the condition of the ship

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhC_Kl3PLPX42AUIv0SoiW3d-wBz

I was really happy at disembarkation to leave the ship. I would not go back on the ship (even it is free) and would not recommend such a dump place. Maybe in Western Europe there is an other "unterstanding" about "cleaning" and "condition of a ship".

And best of all, we had a few people getting the Noro Virus! Maybe it is because of the missing cleanness!

best wishes

As far as the worn out button panel in the elevator, I actually saw SCRATCHED IN GANG GRAFFITI awhile ago on Oosterdam. What kind of people do that? Sheesh! Not HAL's fault.

We are counting days until we board Oosterdam on 25 September. Oosterdam has a very special place in our hearts. We were married in the Crows Nest on Oosterdam in 2013 and honeymooned in Alaska.

Hoping we will be able to get our same table in PG every night. Would be perfect if our favorite server Clifford could be there. Since Oosterdam will be in Europe next year we are celebrating our 5th early.

Sorry Frank; does not appear Clifford will be on board. PG Mngr appears to be a Dutch young lady by the first name of Arlin. I'll see what I can do for ya re seating there ;)

We are heading on the Oosterdam to Hawaii from San Diego this December. First time on Vista Class except the Prinsendam and Koningsdam.

I'm sure we will love it - just like our other HAL or we would have not booked it. Just because something is not new, doesn't mean that it can bring smiles and joy to those onboard wanting to have a world-class experience with spending $15,000 for a luxury line.

Sorry Frank; does not appear Clifford will be on board. PG Mngr appears to be a Dutch young lady by the first name of Arlin. I'll see what I can do for ya re seating there ;)

Table 27:) -we always stop by there after we board to say hello

Was funny on Amsterdam- no table 27- Mai and Martha spoiled us rotten

Edited by frankc98376

• 3 weeks later...

A short update on my problems with the Oosterdam:

After a complaint of my travel agent, I got a substantially future cruise credit (not onboad) for my favorite cruise line (Seabourn) directly from HAL (I told them that I will not put any foot on a HAL ship again)!

A short update on my problems with the Oosterdam:

After a complaint of my travel agent, I got a substantially future cruise credit (not onboad) for my favorite cruise line (Seabourn) directly from HAL (I told them that I will not put any foot on a HAL ship again)!

How nice for you. Enjoy Seabourn. We will enjoy our favourite HAL.