MS Oosterdam - what a disapointment (dirty, worn out, noro virus)

Stefan_Cruise

I always wonder if these serial complainers also get their cruise through some last-minute discount cruise broker who does unload the less than perfect cabins on them. Tarnish on the elevator buttons? Can you imagine those who spend their time documenting such HAL crimes against humanity, and use this hyper-diligence to get a compensation? Sounds like a shake-down artist. Glad he hates HAL and we never have to deal with him again.

Well, I don't know about you, but tarnished elevator buttons would RUIN MY CRUISE!

Not.

If HAL wants to pay me to inspect their ships I will. Otherwise, I've got better things to do when I'm on vacation.

I remember being in the computer room on QE2 at the end of a cruise. I was writing a letter to go with my cruise questionnaire because the cruise had been so good that I didn't have enough room on the questionnaire for all of my compliments. A man at the next computer was writing a letter to go with his questionnaire. He told everyone that came into the room that he was writing about his horrible experience at dinner. The sommelier broke the cork while opening a bottle of wine. Oh, the horror of it all! And he actually said it had "ruined my cruise."

This thread was started about 15 months after the most recent dry dock in Apr 2016. We were on the O in 12/16, 7 months before this thread, and didn't notice any of the things the OP pointed out in his pics. A couple of them I think are real nit-picks.

Agree with the nit-picking. We were on her last Dec and I thought the ship was in good condition, but I was disappointed in the service levels and the lack of organized events on our many sea days. It was not BAD, but certainly not up to the HAL normal level.

I was disappointed in the service levels and the lack of organized events on our many sea days. It was not BAD, but certainly not up to the HAL normal level.

Dave, can you elaborate on what HAL's 'normal level' of service levels and organized events that they fell short of on your sailing?

Thanks..

Dave, can you elaborate on what HAL's 'normal level' of service levels and organized events that they fell short of on your sailing?

Thanks..

We were on an 18 day Hawaii cruise with 5 sea days going and coming back. Going to Hawaii there were a number of activities to see/do, most related to Hawaii of course. On the way back, there were very few organized activities by comparison (IMO). It was like "OK guys, you saw Hawaii and now its just our job to get you back to the mainland". The daily schedule was the smallest I have seen on a HAL ship for a sea day (they always seem to come up with something of interest other than movies).

As to the service, it seemed that the staff was short handed and were busting their b***s just to keep up. Our Neptune room steward missed some small things we come to expect (like having the right type of coffee pods, laundry bags (without having to keep asking for them), and getting the mail/invites on time (we missed one event because we did not get the invite until we were at dinner and it was held right afterwards).

The Pinnacle dinner was the worst we ever had as well (we go at least once per cruise). The service was VERY slow (over 2 hours), the baked potatoes were partially black inside, and the Baked Alaska did not use Ben & Jerry's ice cream.

I know that these items seem a bit petty in the scope of things, but you asked......

I just hope that this was just a one off for the ship and I trust that my next cruise on her will be much better.

For my experience....up until my last HAL cruise, there was live music by the pool and in the Crows Nest, and there were more activities during sea days, such as games shows, etc. They seem to have cut all this.

To me, those photos show neglect rather than acceptable wear and tear.

Have you sailed HAL? Neglect of HAL ships? I emphatic ally disagree and wonder which HAL ships you have sailed and judge to be neglected..

I always wonder if these serial complainers also get their cruise through some last-minute discount cruise broker who does unload the less than perfect cabins on them. Tarnish on the elevator buttons? Can you imagine those who spend their time documenting such HAL crimes against humanity, and use this hyper-diligence to get a compensation? Sounds like a shake-down artist. Glad he hates HAL and we never have to deal with him again.

Seriously harsh. Calling someone a shake down artist is over the top and glad he hates HAL and you never have to deal with him again? How are you dealing with him now? Not at all, really.

We just got off the Amsterdam. When we enter our stateroom, the first thing we do is take Clorox wipes and meticulously go over the entire cabin. My DH starts in the bathroom, I start in the main room; then we switch places and do it all over again.

Our room was not clean upon arrival. There were long term dried stains from spills on the desk and end tables. It looked like all the steward did was make-up the beds and put in fresh towels. I had to scrub the filthy surfaces with a hot soapy washcloth to get them clean.

The balcony, on the either hand, was sparkling clean to the point that my husband said "that could be used as a hospital room."

Then to top it off, there was a discrepancy between our credit card and the final bill. I called HAL and was told that we had been charged $70 for items that were removed from the cabin at disembarkation. At departure,we did not remove anything from the cabin that belonged to the ship. Fortunately HAL graciously removed those charges from our credit card. I was told by the rep that this sort of thing happens frequently due to the speed at which they "go through" the cabins for the new guests coming on. That quick speed explains the lack of an adequate cabin cleaning.

The good news is that we did not detect any smoking from the balconies.

The public areas were immaculate with furnishings showing little or no wear.

Many of the guests fail to close he cabin door behind hem when l they leave.

Thagt provides fo easy for anyone wlaking by to enter and help themselves to souvenirs. Good idea to close the door when you leave.

We did a great many b-to-b cruises and it amazes me when walking do n a hallway on turnaround day how many people simply walk away and leave the door open.

We're doing our first HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam this November and hope those pictures are not common to the HAL fleet.

We were on the NA last month and we saw nothing like the Oosterdam photos posted in this topic. We thought the ship is beautiful and our Neptune Suite balcony looked brand new.

Most of our cruises have been purchased from an on line TA who provides very nice discounts.

Most of our cruises are booked in the final payment window. Anywhere from sixty days out to three or four days out.

We have never had an on line TA 'unload' a less desireable cabin on us. The opposite has been true in a few instances. This is over about 20 plus cruises booked in this manner In this timeframe. We only book verandah cabins. And we exercise the usual degree of dilligence selecting the TA and the ship/cruise line.

Are you actually saying or implying that someone who books last minute through a discount TA not expect the same cabin condition as someone who pays the highest price one year in advance for the same cabin class from the cruise line rep?

Clearly, you do not have much experience in booking this way and in this booking window.

Edited by iancal

Though an old thread, I was drawn to it because I just booked a cruise on the Oosterdam for 2019.

I am glad that I read it, because there is factual evidence that the ship personnel and the corporate office tries to make things right - when there are problems. And that is one of the most important things to me - when I consider whether to stick with a company. Mistakes/problems happen - but how one makes up for them is the real story.

• 3 weeks later...

Just on the refurbished Oosterdam from Fort Launderdale (April 3) to Barcelona (April 18). I went "steerage" because I was by myself and just needed transport to Europe. I had a great time especially after I met some Cruise Critic folks who REALLY helped a first time "cruiser". Food especially the Dive-In was great. Really liked the Windows 10 classes as well as the Bridge classes.

We booked on the Oosterdam for March 2019 and when I saw this post, I got concerned! But it has since come out of dry dock and refurbishment correct? How did recent passengers find the ship overall? We have never been disappointed with HAL, and of course are looking forward to our cruise!

We booked on the Oosterdam for March 2019 and when I saw this post, I got concerned! But it has since come out of dry dock and refurbishment correct? How did recent passengers find the ship overall? We have never been disappointed with HAL, and of course are looking forward to our cruise!

If you notice the dates on this thread, you will see that it was started almost one year ago by a disgruntled passenger. So keep that in mind when you read it. Oosterdam recently came out of dry dock, last month (April 2018) in fact. I haven't cruised on Oosterdam for several years, but I have spent somewhere around 50 days on her, and she is one of my favorite ships in the HAL fleet.

Our only cruise on the Oosterdam was to Alaska in September 2014. While we enjoyed our cruise, DW and I both felt that the ship and her crew were somewhat lacking. We'd spent 21 days on the Noordam the year before and the difference between the two ships and their crews was noticeable. Fortunately, it appears that is no longer the case as the Oosterdam is getting positive reviews once again.

the Oosterdam is getting positive reviews once again.

Please help me find where the Oosterdam was not getting positive reviews.. other this OP's disgruntled thread?

Personally, I consider the OP's post as a 'one off' in a myriad of positive reviews of the Oosterdam.

We sailed Oosterdam last Fall, and have nothing but good things to say about her!

Please help me find where the Oosterdam was not getting positive reviews.. other this OP's disgruntled thread?

Personally, I consider the OP's post as a 'one off' in a myriad of positive reviews of the Oosterdam.

We sailed Oosterdam last Fall, and have nothing but good things to say about her!

Other than less than enthusiastic threads started by people like the OP on the HAL board, CC's "official" reviews contain a wide range of less than glowing assessments. These include:

Average: 144

Poor: 69

Terrible: 37

You can read all of the reviews, good and bad, at https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=283