Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

Sorry, but people who do not want to know details shouldn't be reading this thread anyhow. It's only right that people know what the numbers were so they can be forewarned and request another room. If they prefer to live in the dark then they should stay off of the internet in general. (especially CC where details of anything imaginable is posted)

btw- it is public knowledge, like it or not.

Thank you! Knowledge is wealth. CA real estate sellers are required to inform buyers if there has been a murder in a home they're selling. In our 30 cruises with Princess we've never experienced a murder. This is a major tragedy for all of us as past cruise passengers, Princess and cruise staff.

A murder was never addressed at any required safety group meeting. Perhaps it should be now. What to do when we hear fighting, see spousal abuse or hear screaming.

My wife has been reading in The Salt Lake Tribune that the murdered woman's husband worked in insurance. It also said that reports of it being their anniversary cruise were false. I guess some news reporter spoke to one of their neighbors and got the erroneous information that it was an anniversary cruise. It was just a family group cruise. Here's the link.

Edited by sonicbuffalo

Thank you! Knowledge is wealth. CA real estate sellers are required to inform buyers if there has been a murder in a home they're selling. In our 30 cruises with Princess we've never experienced a murder. This is a major tragedy for all of us as past cruise passengers, Princess and cruise staff.

A murder was never addressed at any required safety group meeting. Perhaps it should be now. What to do when we hear fighting, see spousal abuse or hear screaming.

What is a safety group meeting on a ship? Muster? It seems to me all a person needs to use is common sense and call security if something is going on.

My brother in law purchased a condo in L.A. for far below market value because the last resident shot himself in the shower. The bullet holes were still in the tile filled with caulking. It didn't seem to bother him. His place has doubled in value since he purchased it.

Maybe Princess should offer that cabin to prospective passengers at a significant discount -explaining what had happened.

At least they would know what they were renting.

For most of the public, this incident will become a distant memory. I wonder how many know which cabin George Smith was booked in on the Brilliance of the Seas when he died 12 years ago. I did not even remember which ship it was until looking it up. How many passengers avoid the elevator on the Carnival Ecstasy where the employee died a year and a half ago?

For most of the public, this incident will become a distant memory. I wonder how many know which cabin George Smith was booked in on the Brilliance of the Seas when he died 12 years ago. I did not even remember which ship it was until looking it up. How many passengers avoid the elevator on the Carnival Ecstasy where the employee died a year and a half ago?

I remember that one. Wasn't he decapitated. :confused:

Maybe Princess should offer that cabin to prospective passengers at a significant discount -explaining what had happened.

At least they would know what they were renting.

I am sure that many would jump at the opportunity to have an upsell to the cabin.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/31/us/carnival-ecstasy-cruise-ship-elevator-death/index.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article71866022.html

I am sure that many would jump at the opportunity to have an upsell to the cabin.

I googled to find out the cabin number and found the actual affidavit charging him with the crime. They were in cabin D726, on dolphin deck portside, aft, a mini suite. He was handcuffed by security and placed in D728, next door. For my September 25 Emerald Princess Cruise, both of those cabins show as sold. I got the information from www.heavy.com, which has a very extensive article on the whole incident.

Hi! We're in the same Bay Area! We're in Martinez. Yes, I saw the murder news on Channel 5 and 7 at 6pm and 11pm on Thursday after it happened on Tuesday. We read the Contra Costa Times and to date the murder has not made the newspapers clear.png?emoji-frown-1741 We have never had a murder on any of our 30 cruises with Princess over the past 20 years.

Go, have fun on your first cruise. You will have a wonderful time! We leave soon for 30th Princess cruise on the Crown...flying SFO to London, sailing 17 days Southampton to NYC via Canada!

Thanks so very much, and we send best wishes to you also for having a wonderful cruise. Looking forward to reading all about your fun adventure.:) - EastBay

Honestly, I wouldn't care if I was in a room in which a tragedy happened. Sure it's a little creepy, but wouldn't stop me from staying there. I stayed on the Queen Mary recently and it's supposed to have had numerous tragic deaths. Didn't bother me at all. In fact I was hoping to see something paranormal but didnt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How many of you that have been posting will be sailing on the Emerald this year? We are sailing December 3rd for 31 days from LA to South America we are on deck 14 in a Penthouse Suite. Really looking forward to it, we have been on Emerald one other time for 14 days we are Elite with Princess.

Not in a suite or Elite but we will be on this sailing with you.

Why post room number? We should all just stop & let Princess deal with what they have to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am letting Princess deal with the incident, but, first, it is public information and second, I work in law enforcement and I'm nosey and wanted to find out some of the details. We are just discussing the matter here on this forum, so no harm is being done. Maybe someone might not want to book that cabin. I would have no problem booking that cabin since I have seen my share of stuff where I work, but some people would be apprehensive, and this will help them make that decision. Best regards, Robert.

Edited by croaziera

My thinking is that the nearby cabins certainly deserve more than that.:confused:

Especially the ones that were subjected to hear the screaming during the assault.

Not sure why you think they deserve more from Princess - the cruise line was not responsible for the murder or the lockdown. It might be a good PR move on their part, but nothing I would expect them to do.

When I was a kid I lived over a funeral home. I always remember what I was told. " Anthony don't be afraid of the people in here. Be afraid of the people walking around outside there the ones that can hurt you". So I would stay in that carin no problem for me.

Tony

I posted about George Smith way back on post # 237 - no comments at that time, so people do forget. I was on Brilliance OTS the sailing before the incident happened and will be on her again next April. I don't care in what cabin it happened.

Not sure why you think they deserve more from Princess - the cruise line was not responsible for the murder or the lockdown. It might be a good PR move on their part, but nothing I would expect them to do.

I agree with you.

What is more compensation going to do for them?