Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

I respectfully disagree most heartily. There is no evidence to suggest Princess or her staff are culpable in this matter. They received a call and they responded.

You do realize the poster triptolemus post is not a serious comment. :rolleyes:

You do realize the poster triptolemus post is not a serious comment. :rolleyes:

Oops!! No!! Sorry!! :o It's so hard to know without someone saying so. I know it results in lots of misunderstandings in emails and texts. Mea culpa!

Cheerio, Dearies! :*

I am only sharing this as means of information and a frame of reference. I have unsubscribed from this thread (which I should have done a long time ago). I had a bad attack of Post-Traumatic Stress this afternoon that was in part triggered by reading this thread. No fault but my own. Nobody forced me to read the thread. I'm pretty sure I know which post put me over the edge, but I didn't recognize the trigger or cause of my breakdown until after it happened. That event is almost ten years ago and the right triggers will still send me into a tailspin at a moment's notice. That is how deeply things like this event can cut. I needed to say this for me. I'm not looking for sympathy or hugs or good wishes. Like others who have posted, sometimes things hit too close to home and hit the accumulation of baggage you have. Please hug your loved ones tonight and never take tomorrow for granted. Thank you for listening. CC is an amazing place.

I am only sharing this as means of information and a frame of reference. I have unsubscribed from this thread (which I should have done a long time ago). I had a bad attack of Post-Traumatic Stress this afternoon that was in part triggered by reading this thread. No fault but my own. Nobody forced me to read the thread. I'm pretty sure I know which post put me over the edge, but I didn't recognize the trigger or cause of my breakdown until after it happened. That event is almost ten years ago and the right triggers will still send me into a tailspin at a moment's notice. That is how deeply things like this event can cut. I needed to say this for me. I'm not looking for sympathy or hugs or good wishes. Like others who have posted, sometimes things hit too close to home and hit the accumulation of baggage you have. Please hug your loved ones tonight and never take tomorrow for granted. Thank you for listening. CC is an amazing place.

Glad you are doing what you need to and taking care of yourself. Such wise advice to hug our loved ones and never take tomorrow for granted! Peace and all good things!

The murder statute in the Federal System is much different than in the state system. There is not much room for "plea Bargain" sentence is always harsh..................... (no parole etc.) If it happens in the special maritime district there is even less room. Its an interesting discussion but moot.

The "plea bargain" will essentialy break down to how much time he will serve NORTH of 18 years for a guilty plea (and thats hard time) not the charges themselves. Federal sentencing is so harsh, 93% of federal cases plead out

By contrast in State Court a "life sentence" can be as little as 12 years.[ /quote]

What state considers 12 years as a life sentence.....:confused::confused:

Bob

States with insanely overcrowded jails. Welcome to California.

A true injustice to the victims.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's a question - I'm just curious. Where will the trial take place? And will all the people who are actual witnesses have to fly there?

It will be Federal District Court. Which courthouse, I would also like to know. There is a Federal District Court in Ketchikan, not sure if there is a branch in Juneau. Maybe there is a Federal Court in Seattle?

As for witnesses, it has been my experience that witnesses do need to be flown in for trial, if indeed there will be a trial. Jurors like to hear from actual witnesses. I suppose the witness evidence could also come in the form of a deposition and a video, too. I was once apprenticing in Federal Court in San Francisco back in the early 80s, and that particular matter had to do with Alaskan crab fishing boats, a civil matter, yet the matter was heard here in SF.

I also recall a very famous murder case being heard in Federal Court in SF, where the murder took place down in the South Pacific, so it is anybody's guess where this matter will be heard.

Addendum: Just found this site and there are Federal courthouses in 5 locations in AK.

http://www.akd.uscourts.gov/content/anchorage

Edited by 4cats4me

OK- I really don't see much difference between someone accepting responsibility and reducing their sentence by 2 or 3 levels and and a plea deal in the regular court system, but my question is , if that happens is there still a trial?

A plea deal in the non-Federal court system usually means pleading guilty to a lesser charge which usually comes with a lesser sentence. It is not pleading guilty to the actual charge in order to get a reduced sentence.

There would not be a full blown trial, but there would be a short one in which the defendant would formally plead guilty and the judge would hand down the sentence.

Here's a question - I'm just curious. Where will the trial take place? And will all the people who are actual witnesses have to fly there?

Court documents were filed for a change of venue to Juneau.

An article in today's people magazine states

"The killing allegedly culminated a night of marital tension between the couple that began when Kenneth became belligerent at dinner, a family source who was not on the boat tells PEOPLE.

“He had been acting terrible all night,” the source says. The source adds that at some point that evening, Kristy asked for a divorce. At that point, Kenneth allegedly “snapped” and killed her, the source says.

The couple’s apparent marital discord was news to the source, who tells PEOPLE, “If they were having [marital issues] they never showed any of that to anyone else.”

According to the source, the night of the killing, Kristy’s father and brother broke down the cabin door after hearing Kristy screaming from her room. In the blood-covered cabin, they discovered Kristy mortally wounded and Kenneth allegedly covered in blood as well.

Ever since, Kristy’s family has been reeling."

I know someone in a law office there and they are keeping an eye on this and will keep me informed of what is going on if it comes to trial, but they would fly witness's and anyone else in they need to.

There won't be a plea deal, they only do that when they're not confident they could get a conviction or they are going for bigger fish so to speak. This one is in the bag. I'm sure he will get a conviction and maximum sentence of the charges pending against him.
Not necessarily true. Plea deals are frequently offered to save the taxpayers the expense of a trial. Especially when Alaska has to pay for a problem inherited from Utah.

It will be Federal District Court. Which courthouse, I would also like to know. There is a Federal District Court in Ketchikan, not sure if there is a branch in Juneau. Maybe there is a Federal Court in Seattle?

Addendum: Just found this site and there are Federal courthouses in 5 locations in AK.

http://www.akd.uscourts.gov/content/anchorage

Technically, this case can be heard anywhere in the District of Alaska. They are the venue for prosecution. I'm pretty sure it currently sits at the Juneau court.

Seattle is a totally different District. It's unlikely a change of venue would occur, but not totally unheard of.

I contemplated whether or not to start this thread because but I can't quote a news source yet, but from what I've been told by my professional contacts in the area, a woman was killed by her husband last night on board the ship. I'll pass more details as they become public. A press release was supposedly issued, so we should be seeing on-line news sources reporting very soon.

Yep. He said she would not stop laughing at him. He bashed her head in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums