Feet swelling on cruises

JMW51

If you are flying your legs will swell from the flight, more the longer you are at high altitude.

If you are flying the day of or day before are your legs swollen when you arrive? I have an inflatable leg pillow I take with me.

Gravity also helps swelling based on water (raise your leg above your heart). I get skin rashes because my skin gets tight and socks and shoe chafe the skin. I use Neosporin

Eczema cream and have a steroid cream the DR prescribed.

I used to have this problem really bad. My doctor prescribes a diuretic for me to take as needed on trips. Other tips include drinking a ton of water, eating foods that are high in potassium (Sodium and potassium balance each other out), and keeping my legs elevated whenever I'm in my cabin. I take these to put on my bed: https://www.amazon.com/GoSports-AirWedge-Inflatable-Beach-Chair/dp/B00K8ANZK4/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1501702028&sr=8-16&keywords=inflatable+lounge+chair

I will also suggest to ask your doctor about this problem! I have had this problem during traveling a lot! After trying to watch my salt intake and drinking lots of water on trips with no results, I finally asked my doctor. He said that it was probably due to veinous insufficiency. He suggested compression socks, which I have used in winter travel with some success. I did not want to wear compression socks in the hot summer or with capri pants-so I googled and found something that works for me. At health food store I found horse chestnut extract and take as recommended on label. It has helped me and also my sister! Ask your doctor if this might work for you.

My feet don't swell during the first few days crossing the cold Atlantic, but once the weather warms, my feet swell. They stay like that whilst we're in the Caribbean, but reduce again during our return sail to colder climes... so I can't say that it's anything on board which does this... I believe with me it's unaccustomed heat.

• 1 year later...

The same thing happened to me (and two other members of my group) on a cruise last week--uncomfortable swollen ankles.

I'm convinced it's all the food additives and fillers they use - in particular MSG and it's varying names...also CARRAGEENAN and SOY products.  You're told they make everything on the ship and bake all the goods themselves. This is true but they definitely use ready made mixes. While on a Royal Caribbean cruise this month, I saw a crew member carting a bunch of milk cartons some of which said chocolate dessert mix and the others vanilla dessert mix. I asked to look at the ingredients. I saw at least 30 different ingredients most of them additives and preservatives--including Carrageenan (know for causing inflammation). He said they used this mix in many of their desserts.

Also while on the ship, I spoke to the chef to ask if they use soy oil t make their breakfast items. I wasn't feeling well (very bad joint/arthritic type pain)  and I know soy can be the culprit. At first they said no, we just use vegetable oil but I asked him to look at the ingredients and it turned out it contains soy oil. They gladly made me my omelet using olive oil.

I think on future cruises, the best option is to use the seated dining as much as possible (rather than buffet restaurant) and to be specific about how you want items cooked. I will also do my best to avoid desserts...just fresh fruit.

The same thing happened to me (and two other members of my group) on a cruise last week--uncomfortable swollen ankles.

I'm convinced it's all the food additives and fillers they use - in particular MSG and it's varying names...also CARRAGEENAN and SOY products.  You're told they make everything on the ship and bake all the goods themselves. This is true but they definitely use ready made mixes. While on a Royal Caribbean cruise this month, I saw a crew member carting a bunch of milk cartons some of which said chocolate dessert mix and the others vanilla dessert mix. I asked to look at the ingredients. I saw at least 30 different ingredients most of them additives and preservatives--including Carrageenan (know for causing inflammation). He said they used this mix in many of their desserts.

Also while on the ship, I spoke to the chef to ask if they use soy oil t make their breakfast items. I wasn't feeling well (very bad joint/arthritic type pain)  and I know soy can be the culprit. At first they said no, we just use vegetable oil but I asked him to look at the ingredients and it turned out it contains soy oil. They gladly made me my omelet using olive oil.

I think on future cruises, the best option is to use the seated dining as much as possible (rather than buffet restaurant) and to be specific about how you want items cooked. I will also do my best to avoid desserts...just fresh fruit.

I always ask our steward for an extra pillow. It goes under the covers at the foot of the bed. 

Sleeping and napping with my feet raised has helped enormously. 

It doesn’t make sense, but since I started bringing  a case of bottled water, and on Princess, ordering it, my swelling has lessened. 

The only ship water I drink is at dinner in the MDR. 

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

For me, I believe it is from the ships water.

I rather doubt that. The process they use when making water is very similar to many municipal water districts. It's the source of the water is what is different. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, when on board a cruise ship, you are eating food prepared 100% by the cruise line. Like any food ordered in virtually all restaurants, the cooking methods are different that how you would cook them at home. There is more pre-made items that will be heated and served when ordered. And, the amount of sodium in the food is higher than at home. That is for two reasons - to make the food taste better, and to make the food last longer after cooking and before being served. 

A friend of my wife who is a Nutritionist Researcher in England (experiments with food preparation methods for a prepared food manufacturer in the UK) claims that the amount of sodium in most restaurant meals is nearly double what the average home cook would use. Since the average cruiser who eats most of their meals cooked at home is not used to the increased sodium in the meals on board, the additional sodium is the main culprit of swollen feet in most cases.  

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

For me, I believe it is from the ships water.

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

I rather doubt that. The process they use when making water is very similar to many municipal water districts. It's the source of the water is what is different. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, when on board a cruise ship, you are eating food prepared 100% by the cruise line. Like any food ordered in virtually all restaurants, the cooking methods are different that how you would cook them at home. There is more pre-made items that will be heated and served when ordered. And, the amount of sodium in the food is higher than at home. That is for two reasons - to make the food taste better, and to make the food last longer after cooking and before being served. 

A friend of my wife who is a Nutritionist Researcher in England (experiments with food preparation methods for a prepared food manufacturer in the UK) claims that the amount of sodium in most restaurant meals is nearly double what the average home cook would use. Since the average cruiser who eats most of their meals cooked at home is not used to the increased sodium in the meals on board, the additional sodium is the main culprit of swollen feet in most cases.  

While I agree with the food having a higher sodium content onboard I also am I the camp that the ship water makes the swelling much worse.  I used to only bring big shoes as each sailing my ankles would swell very bad.  Tried a few things and found, for me, eliminating as much ship water as possible helps greatly.  I now primarily drink bottled water and rarely have any swelling.  Will this be everyone's problem, maybe not but worth a try.

• Like 1