Feet swelling on cruises

JMW51

I have this weird problem in that my feet swell up whenever I am on a cruise. It's very uncomfortable. It also progresses to a rash. Only happens when I am on a cruise ship. I have tried many remedies to no avail. Does anyone else have this problem and do you have a solution?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's likely from saltier food than you're used to, the humidity and heat, and perhaps walking more than you do daily. Lots of people swear it's the water, but there really is very little sodium in the water, compared to bottled or municipal water.

As your doctor if a diuretic might help.

I have this weird problem in that my feet swell up whenever I am on a cruise. It's very uncomfortable. It also progresses to a rash. Only happens when I am on a cruise ship. I have tried many remedies to no avail. Does anyone else have this problem and do you have a solution?

Happens to my wife too. Once she went exclusively to bottled water, the swelling stopped.

Another weird solution is to simply stand in the swimming pool for long periods of time. The water pressure will help force the excess fluids out of your feet and ankles.

Hank

It is likely a combination of to things, all of the salt that is dumped in the food, and the fact that you are likely walking a lot more than usual. The best cure for the salt is to drink a lot of water. The waling issue is not easily solved until you get home and quit walking so much. One thing that might help is to walk at least 15,000 steps a day, every day for the month before your cruise. That way your feet get used to all of the exercise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The fact that it progresses to a rash makes me feel it should be something you really need to discuss with your doctor to make sure it's not something really serious.

My feet/ankles swell sometimes on a cruise but luckily has not turned into a rash. I heard that could be painful. :( I did the dry brushing with Elemis Cellutox Active Body Oil my last cruise and the swelling wasn't as bad. (Bought both on eBay.) Don't know if I just didn't swell that much that cruise or the dry brushing worked.

I found out about it on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1637335

Another weird solution is to simply stand in the swimming pool for long periods of time. The water pressure will help force the excess fluids out of your feet and ankles.

Hank

This may work - but soaking in a strong saline solution (Epsom salts, for example ) will help through the process of osmosis where is water is drawn from a less saline to a stronger saline solution (essentially why drinking salt water is deadly because the salt water passing through your system draws water out of your tissues). Standing in salt water will be more effective than standing in fresh water.

I too have the same issue EVERY cruise my feet and ankles swell and the end of the cruise my feet hurt something awful and it is hard d to wear shoes or even walk... I might try drinking more bottled water and standing in the pool this upcoming cruise and see if that helps. It doesn't happen to anyone else in my family just me [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This may work - but soaking in a strong saline solution (Epsom salts, for example ) will help through the process of osmosis where is water is drawn from a less saline to a stronger saline solution (essentially why drinking salt water is deadly because the salt water passing through your system draws water out of your tissues). Standing in salt water will be more effective than standing in fresh water.

Aren't some of the pools salt water?

I have done that. She suggested using cereve cream and/or support hose neither of which worked when tried on previous cruises.

I am sorry that your doctor has not been able to help you on this.

If this was me I would seek out another doctor or start with my doctor to say the advice didn't help.

I just think that when seeking out advice from others on this type of issue that the solutions will be all over the place and there might be some underlying medical issue even though it has just happened on the cruise. I would write out anything unusual (are flights involved, aside from the extra sodium any other items that are being eaten that are out of the ordinary, and anything else you can think of) and discuss it with a medical professional. Even a medical group specializing in travel might be a good start.

Keith

I too have the same issue EVERY cruise my feet and ankles swell and the end of the cruise my feet hurt something awful and it is hard d to wear shoes or even walk... I might try drinking more bottled water and standing in the pool this upcoming cruise and see if that helps. It doesn't happen to anyone else in my family just me [emoji20]

Just drink more water. Drinking more water flushes out the sodium from the meals you are eating. Most restaurants, including on ships, add more sodium to make their food taste better. Flushing it out will help with the swelling. But bottled water is not necessary - the tap water will be just as effective. The water from the tap or served in the restaurants is just as good as bottled water.

Just drink more water. Drinking more water flushes out the sodium from the meals you are eating. Most restaurants, including on ships, add more sodium to make their food taste better. Flushing it out will help with the swelling. But bottled water is not necessary - the tap water will be just as effective. The water from the tap or served in the restaurants is just as good as bottled water.

THANKS !!!! [emoji4][emoji1303]

I agree with the other posters who said to ask a physician since your wife has had a rash with the swelling.

If your wife is okay to eat watermelon, I would suggest eating a bit more of it during the cruise. It has worked for me, and I learned of it on previous threads concerning swelling. A poster on the How to Avoid Getting Swollen on a Cruise thread said watermelon is a diuretic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1637335

and these two threads (sorry, I am unable to make them clickable :( ):

- Wife swollen ankles on 33 cruises posted by texas518 posted october 24th, 2015, 09:22AM

- How to avoid getting swollen on a cruise posted by funnychick 39 posted november 17th, 2014, 11:09AM

My feet/ankles swell sometimes on a cruise but luckily has not turned into a rash. I heard that could be painful. :( I did the dry brushing with Elemis Cellutox Active Body Oil my last cruise and the swelling wasn't as bad. (Bought both on eBay.) Don't know if I just didn't swell that much that cruise or the dry brushing worked.

I found out about it on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1637335

I have done that in the past, as well. My DH & I have that problem and we also put the life preservers under the foot of the bed to raise it slightly and it worked wonders. Try it! It really works!

I agree with the other posters who said to ask a physician since your wife has had a rash with the swelling.

If your wife is okay to eat watermelon, I would suggest eating a bit more of it during the cruise. It has worked for me, and I learned of it on previous threads concerning swelling. A poster on the How to Avoid Getting Swollen on a Cruise thread said watermelon is a diuretic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1637335

and these two threads (sorry, I am unable to make them clickable :( ):

- Wife swollen ankles on 33 cruises posted by texas518 posted october 24th, 2015, 09:22AM

- How to avoid getting swollen on a cruise posted by funnychick 39 posted november 17th, 2014, 11:09AM

Watermelon is a great easy to try idea. Thanks.