Question re: dining

lyraedro

We have booked our first cruise with Oceana and I note that the dining room does not have assigned seating. I am eager to share table with other people to get to know them but I am a little bit shy. Will someone be seating us? And direct us to a table where seats are available? I am hoping we don't have to go from table to table to ask if seats are available.

It is open seating - meaning you can arrive when you please (within reason while the MDR is open :D).

When you check in with Maitre D" you will be asked if you wish to dine alone or share and will be accommodated accordingly.

Very simple. Enjoy!

PS I guess I am a slow typist :D

Lyraedro, we like to share. It's a great way to meet other passengers. Occasionally the match isn't great, but 98% of the time we've had lovely meals. And often those strangers don't remain strangers.

On our last cruise one evening we were checking in at the same time as an older single woman and we invited her to join us, which she did. She was a very interesting woman from Switzerland and we had a great time. (Of course she wasn't really much older than most of us ...)

On occasion, when we have asked to share it just hasn't worked out. That's because they want to fill up tables at about the same time, so if they don't have "shares" available they will give a couple a table for two. I think they might try harder to accommodate a single person who wants to share in such situations.

Also, check out your roll call. You may find others in advance who want to share a meal or two ... or even more.

On one cruise I was corresponding with a single passenger regarding our Meet & Greet, so I invited him to join us for dinner in a specialty restaurant. By the time the night arrived he'd met someone else on the ship and they were a couple.

As has been said, when setting up a specialty dinner just say you want to share and it will be done.

On our first Oceania cruise way back when we had a lovely dinner in Toscana with a woman who was traveling along and with one of the lecturers on board. That was a very interesting and profitable evening! We were sailing from Cabo to Guatemala and both of them were very familiar with the ports in question.

Good luck. You shouldn't worry. Have a great time.

Mura

P.S. I note that I seem to have incorrectly assumed you were traveling alone. Even so, the staff will do their best to match you up with others in the GDR. Strangely enough, that seems harder to do in the buffet restaurant. Even when the two of us take a table for four-six in hopes that someone will ask to join us, they rarely do!

(It's not that we deliberately take a large table we can't use ... but if it's crowded and only a bigger table is available, we WILL take it!)

"Strangely enough, that seems harder to do in the buffet restaurant. Even when the two of us take a table for four-six in hopes that someone will ask to join us, they rarely do!"

Don't you ever wonder exactly why that is? I can think of some reasons but in a way it is kind of unfortunate somehow.

Strangely enough, that seems harder to do in the buffet restaurant. Even when the two of us take a table for four-six in hopes that someone will ask to join us, they rarely do!

(It's not that we deliberately take a large table we can't use ... but if it's crowded and only a bigger table is available, we WILL take it!)

I agree Mura

I think it may be the popping up & down for food does not lead to having a conversation with others as easily as the other dining venues

When we eat in the Terrace we try for a 2 top or go with friends

I have seen 1-2 people sitting at the larger table & if cannot find a table we might ask to join them

You never know if those people are waiting for others or truly on their own

Breakfast we always eat alone ;)

let's just say it is better that way ..I am not a morning person LOL

Best odds of sharing, the Specialties, just because of the way the reservation system works.

Next is the GDR. However, it's a timing issue. Many cruisers will not share a will only take a table for two. Sometimes, you show up to share and other sharing tables are full so they sit you at a six top to await more "sharers". If none show up in the next 10-15 minutes, they'll take your order and the process starts. They don't like putting people at staggered tables, i.e. One couple is already doing apps or salad and a new couple arrives. They'll start a new sharing table with that couple leaving you at a 6 top alone. It's all timing.

Worst odds for sharing are in the Terrace. Some of those that demand to always eat alone will take a four top, if no 2 top is available, and then tell others, looking for a table, they prefer to dine alone. Timing issues again. Most won't join people if they are finishing a meal or on dessert. They'll look for a table with others that are just beginning their meal. While we have enjoyed sharing in the Terrace, it's a tough venue for such. For dinner, people go to the Terrace for a lot of reasons, including its unpaced schedule. The speed eaters can joyfully consume their 3 courses and be in and out in 15 minutes . Those not hungry can get a small salad and like wise be gone before a conversation can be started. A lot of the very senior line up at opening, eat quickly, and are gone for the evening by 7:15. If you come in at 7:00, not only have you missed the opening rush (highly suggested), but also a lot of sharing opportunities. All in all a more difficult venue for sharing.

One additional comment, at the Grand Dinning Room you can ask to share a table for 4, 6, or 8. We prefer table for 6 max as service can be slow for tables of 8.

Also, it's hard to have a conversation with everyone at a table for 8.

Looking at the pictures of the Terrace Cafe, there seem to be many prime tables for 4 outside. Do those tables get taken by two? And not shared if there is another couple wanting to dine outside?

Years ago on embarcation day we were at a table for four outside of the Terrace Cafe on Regatta and invited another couple (who obviously where not having fun with their luggage) to sit at the table. Boy, they started out very fussy (just tired), however as we talked we became good friends. We enjoyed their company many times during the cruise including happy hours and dining. So sharing can be very nice IMHO.

Happy Cruzer;

As you are probably aware, the weather and the wind can drive use of the balcony of the Terrace. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not practical.

Since the Terrace and Waves are open seating, yes some couples do take four tops, when 2s aren't available, and refuse to share. Rude and crude, but they don't care. You just smile and try to find a more friendly couple. I don't like the entire buffet deal anyway, except maybe for breakfast. So when we go to the Terrace,it's usually later after all the starving rush of the early eaters have gone, so typically there are plenty of tables available. Even though we almost always share in the other venues, it's a catch as catch can in the Terrace.

Happy Cruzer;

As you are probably aware, the weather and the wind can drive use of the balcony of the Terrace. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not practical.

Since the Terrace and Waves are open seating, yes some couples do take four tops, when 2s aren't available, and refuse to share. Rude and crude, but they don't care. You just smile and try to find a more friendly couple. I don't like the entire buffet deal anyway, except maybe for breakfast. So when we go to the Terrace,it's usually later after all the starving rush of the early eaters have gone, so typically there are plenty of tables available. Even though we almost always share in the other venues, it's a catch as catch can in the Terrace.

I'm with you, Pinotlover, in not being terribly fond of the entire buffet deal, but we do like the outdoor section of the Terrace for breakfast and lunch. If the weather doesn't cooperate, I prefer other venues. But there are many more 4 tops and larger outdoors and we have asked seated diners if we could join them when no empty tables were available. Fortunately, we've never been refused and as with sharing in the specialties and GDR, we've met some really nice fellow passengers.

Thank you both for sharing what you experienced. I do like dine outside, DH not so much. So I hope the one or two times I talk him into it, we can get a table. I hoped it would be easier than on Regatta, never got an outside table for breakfast or dinner, even when asking the staff for help getting seating. It's all good - the inside is lovely and DH is happier.

Thank you both for sharing what you experienced. I do like dine outside, DH not so much. So I hope the one or two times I talk him into it, we can get a table. I hoped it would be easier than on Regatta, never got an outside table for breakfast or dinner, even when asking the staff for help getting seating. It's all good - the inside is lovely and DH is happier.

Contrary to what others may have experienced, I find that coming early - even a few minutes before the Terrace opens - it tends to be empty (or almost empty) for both lunch and dinner. Arriving this early we have our pick of tables. We usually dine inside but I imagine it would be the same for outside.

That said, it gets pretty busy soon after "opening" hours. Try coming before they are officially open - they will let you take a table without any questions and you should have no trouble finding a nice table wherever you want it. They even often let you start using the buffet early if they are all set.

Edited by Paulchili

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am enjoying the discussion. Of note, someone has mentioned "roll call" and I have seen it in other threads that are about meeting people. Can someone explain what

is rollcall? I am new at this.

Each cruise line, each ship and each sailing has its own roll call where people on that particular cruise can get to know each other ahead of time and possibly plan shore excursions together.

Go here for Oceania roll calls:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=420

Then find your ship (Marina, etc) and then your sailing (by date or name of the cruise).

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am enjoying the discussion. Of note, someone has mentioned "roll call" and I have seen it in other threads that are about meeting people. Can someone explain what

is rollcall? I am new at this.

Open seating is a great way to meet people. Just tell the maitre die that you would like to start a table or join a table. We always ask for a table of 6 or 8. That way you are pretty sure to find at least one comparable couple

Sent from my iPad using Forums