Just back from Southbound Alaska on Radiance

LB - who is going to AK next year and is reading everything they can get their hands on....

Hey little britain, you've helped me with some Jewel reports... may I offer you a couple of Alaska ideas?

One of my favorite excursions anywhere in the world in all my cruising was in Ketchikan:

#1 of 94 Tours in Ketchikan

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g31030-d1007488-Reviews-Bering_Sea_Crab_Fishermen_s_Tour-Ketchikan_Alaska.html

Also this one time on this specific Alaskan cruise... close your eyes, take out your wallet, and pay the huge price for a helicopter tour up to the glacier in Juneau. Utterly magnificent, and you can say you walked on a glacier.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41444744&highlight=Dog+Sled#post41444744

One more... you'll regret not staying at least one day in Vancouver :)

Did you just do the cruise or did you do any pre/post trips?

What trips did you do in each port?

What was the entertaiment?

thanks

LB - who is going to AK next year and is reading everything they can get their hands on....

We did the 3 day wildlife land tour precruise. At Hubbard Glacier there was a special smaller boat wildlife explorer that got much closer to the glacier. It was amazing. We saw orca on the way. In Juneau we did the hovercraft adventure to Taku glacier. We loved that also, In Skagway we did the white pass railway and Yukon with Chilkoot tours. In Icy Strait Point we did whale watching with Hoonah Adventures. I highly recommend them. In Ketcthikan we did the wildlife explorer and crab feast which was very enjoyable

Please give some details on the ship. Just wondering why it was just OK and how was the food. Going on this same cruise in 2018. Thank you for any details you can give us.

I am used to the newer bigger ships. This ship is showing it's age. The Voom was awful. A total waste of time and money. I had to wait until we were in port to use regular cellular data. The food was fine. Nothing bad nor anything really special. I went to the windjammer once for lunch and I thought the selections were slim pickings.

What was the weather like? Was it warm enough to use the pool? What type of clothing did people wear in the dining room?

The dining room most nights was very casual, but on formal night there were many VERY formally dressed. The weather was in the 60's with rain only 1 day

Hubbard Glacier there was a special smaller boat wildlife explorer that got much closer to the glacier. It was amazing.

I'd love some more information about this please. Was it something you pre-booked before the cruise or was it only available to book once on the ship? Thanks :)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I'd love some more information about this please. Was it something you pre-booked before the cruise or was it only available to book once on the ship? Thanks :)

It is brand new. We got an e-mail from the concierge the day before cruise. He said it was offered to suite guests first, then would be available to all guests once onboard.

It is brand new. We got an e-mail from the concierge the day before cruise. He said it was offered to suite guests first, then would be available to all guests once onboard.

That's brilliant thanks for letting me know. I'm in a suite next May so fingers crossed. Would you mind letting me know how much it costs?

Did you actually do this? What boat did they use? Was it one of the tender boats? How many people did it take?

That's brilliant thanks for letting me know. I'm in a suite next May so fingers crossed. Would you mind letting me know how much it costs?

See first page of "Shore Ex" doc in these pdfs.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2527995

Did you actually do this? What boat did they use? Was it one of the tender boats? How many people did it take?

Yes I did this and it was awesome!!! It is a shore excursion with a tour operater, It was a large catamarran. I would say that there were at least 100 people on the tour.