Royal Quarterly Results

Not worried about Dem./Rep. Congress as RCL profits are in my 401k.

Also, not worried about the Korean mad man as I lived thru the various Russian/Chinese threats, Cuban missile crisis, etc., and one of my all time favorite movie is:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Keep in mind a beautiful song to go along with this movie "Don't worry, be Happy.":halo:

That is a great movie. Peter Sellars.... when not being insane was a great comedic actor. He and George C Scott... so good in that movie and in general.

I think the Russians were always sane and calculating, and the math didn't add up for them. A guy that will hire chicks to wipe poison on your brother's face to kill him, or will blow up a general you don't like with a barrage of cannon fire is a slightly different animal.

JC

That is a great movie. Peter Sellars.... when not being insane was a great comedic actor. He and George C Scott... so good in that movie and in general.

I think the Russians were always sane and calculating, and the math didn't add up for them. A guy that will hire chicks to wipe poison on your brother's face to kill him, or will blow up a general you don't like with a barrage of cannon fire is a slightly different animal.

JC

Khrushchev banging his shoe on the desk at the UN--sane?;p

Khrushchev banging his shoe on the desk at the UN--sane?;p

Citizen K was the most aggressive in the post Stalin world, no doubt about it, but most of the soviet leaders were very calculating.

The two countries that I think (I don't know anything you don't know) are completely different are Iran where if they could eliminate the Jewish people from the face of the earth would probably take that gamble. I think they would, also, love to blow up DC or NYC and since in their minds they would be doing this for the right reason might consider it. That said, I think the most likely is a generational dictator who is willing to let his people starve while he hangs out with Dennis Rodman.

Compared to Khrushchev these threats are far less predictable. We survived the Cold War because we had MAD. I think mad people don't do MAD math. I pray I am wrong.

JC

Citizen K was the most aggressive in the post Stalin world, no doubt about it, but most of the soviet leaders were very calculating.

The two countries that I think (I don't know anything you don't know) are completely different are Iran where if they could eliminate the Jewish people from the face of the earth would probably take that gamble. I think they would, also, love to blow up DC or NYC and since in their minds they would be doing this for the right reason might consider it. That said, I think the most likely is a generational dictator who is willing to let his people starve while he hangs out with Dennis Rodman.

Compared to Khrushchev these threats are far less predictable. We survived the Cold War because we had MAD. I think mad people don't do MAD math. I pray I am wrong.

JC

You may be right, but from an optics stand point it's not any difference between the Russians & NK characteristics of my younger days. Remember, the Russians constantly threatened to destroy us.

You need to consider compounded interest. That changes the math considerably. For example when you take out a loan, you are not actually paying a flat interest rate, you are paying a compounded interest rate, works the same way in reverse with investments.

So, the math at a 5% interest rate your investment will double in 14.4 years. If you can get a 8% rate of return it will double in 9 years.

Simple math rule of thumb, Take the rate of return or interest in the case of a bond or certificate of deposit and take 72 and divide it by that interest rate. So, 72/5 equals 14.4 years

All I know because I didn't do the actual math, was I paid about 10 bucks more a share for CCL than I did for RCI when I acquired them sometime back in the 2000s. I don't look very often at share values of the stocks I own because knowing things makes me want to do things, and I prefer to remain ignorant about the value of things I don't want to sell. You forced me to look ,... RCL trading around 115 CCL trading around 67. The Rate of return for me based on this is closer to 1% on CCL. RCL is pretty close to 5 might be pushing 5.5%.

You are right about I didn't lose money unless I sold it lower. Except I did lose the opportunity cost of what that money could have earned if it was invested in another way. For example i just did a google search for value of Apple... it was around 10$ in 1987 when I bought my first Mac. Since then with stock splits 1000 shares would now be 56,000 shares today. Plus the stock is going for $157. So, a $10,000 investment in 1987 would not be worth 157 x 56,000 which would be a sickening $8,792,000. I bought a $1000 investment in a stock in 1987 that did tremendously well has a today's value near $70,000. I am a very happy in that investment. I wish I had invested a lot more, because my 10K investment would be worth 700K. Had I bought stock in Apple, and I loved my Mac and I was a Mac evangelist. I wouldn't be working today... Which doesn't even take into account the dividends. On my actual 1987 investment I get a dividend each year equal to my original purchase cost.

So, always remember when you spend money on anything including a cruise you have lost whatever else you could have bought with the money.

JC

I did. 12 yrs ago On August 1st the stock traded at $42.72. Now $117. You made 8.5% compounded. And more than that if your dividends were reinvested.

Other than the luggage tracking feature within Royal IQ, what else has been scrapped?

Yeah, dw really looked forward to tracking our bags. Darn thing never worked.

Waiters were supposed to take and place orders using Ipads. Process took forever and they ended up going back to pen and paper. And of course there was that whole balky dd reservation system. Lost all my reservations three times ahead of one sailing and duplicated others.

Other touted features were buggy and took quite a while to function properly. The bionic bar and Royal IQ are two.

I did. 12 yrs ago On August 1st the stock traded at $42.72. Now $117. You made 8.5% compounded. And more than that if your dividends were reinvested.

I paid more than that. Plus, it went to the teens, how many suckers lost their rear ends on this amazing investment....

JC

Waiters were supposed to take and place orders using Ipads. Process took forever and they ended up going back to pen and paper. And of course there was that whole balky dd reservation system. Lost all my reservations three times ahead of one sailing and duplicated others.

Other touted features were buggy and took quite a while to function properly. The bionic bar and Royal IQ are two.

I forgot about the tablet for waiter's use - that was a failure from day one - our waiter on Quantum on day two of the maiden TA went to paper.

The DD reservation system was not really different from MTD and RCI didn't tout it as technological thing. MTD reservation could still be lost today.

It will be interesting to see if Symphony will have a Bionic bar.

I originally paid $42 a share, then when everything tanked I was able to purchase

more and ended up at $11 per share.

Today it is at $117 per share.:)

Mac

Other than the luggage tracking feature within Royal IQ, what else has been scrapped?

What happen to system of blowing jets of air under the hull so that the ship is riding on a cushion of air like a hovercraft.

What happen to system of blowing jets of air under the hull so that the ship is riding on a cushion of air like a hovercraft.

I thought some of the newer ships were already doing that.

I thought some of the newer ships were already doing that.

As far as I know, only a couple of Aida ships, and now the Symphony will have this. It really isn't a "cushion" of air, it is a layer of small air bubbles that breaks the surface tension between the hull and water.

As far as I know, only a couple of Aida ships, and now the Symphony will have this. It really isn't a "cushion" of air, it is a layer of small air bubbles that breaks the surface tension between the hull and water.

Brain not really working this morning, all RCI ships since Quantum have this system, and the Celebrity Reflection was RCI's test bed for the technology.

Brain not really working this morning, all RCI ships since Quantum have this system, and the Celebrity Reflection was RCI's test bed for the technology.

I thought I remember seeing a special on the Science Channel that the Oasis class has this capability.

I thought I remember seeing a special on the Science Channel that the Oasis class has this capability.

I believe it would only be Harmony and Symphony if it's only been since Quantum.

I believe it would only be Harmony and Symphony if it's only been since Quantum.

Harmony does have this and with other tech items like something new with the way ballast is controlled she is 20% more efficient than her 2 sisters. For example, she can go a full month without refueling and at the time we were on the water plant on board had not been needed since she started sailing

Harmony does have this and with other tech items like something new with the way ballast is controlled she is 20% more efficient than her 2 sisters. For example, she can go a full month without refueling and at the time we were on the water plant on board had not been needed since she started sailing

The time between refueling is far more dependent on the itinerary (speed and distance between ports) than on any efficiency. As to the "water plant", that has nothing to do with fuel efficiency, and in fact means they are wasting energy, as the evaporators take their heat from the diesel cooling water before that is sent over to the ocean as wasted energy. All this means is that there isn't sufficient time at sea to produce the water needed, and therefore they load water in ports. This also indicates the amount of time and distance the ship covers during her cruises, slow steaming and short intervals prevent using the water making equipment.

I will admit that Harmony is more fuel efficient, but remember that the claimed numbers are theoretical, and based on best case scenario. Just like the claim that the air lubrication system provides 12% increased efficiency, that has to be balanced with the energy needed to heat, cool, and compress the air, leading to a net efficiency of 8%.

Well the numbers are not claimed or best case but based on facts compiled on numbers run against oasis/allure and based on sailing the caribbean. I have no reason to doubt capt Johnny and his officer on duty on the bridge

Well the numbers are not claimed or best case but based on facts compiled on numbers run against oasis/allure and based on sailing the caribbean. I have no reason to doubt capt Johnny and his officer on duty on the bridge

I find it interesting that the Captain's figures equal what was claimed when the ship was being designed/built. The reality almost never equals the theory, and I wonder if he was simply giving the RCI "company line" about efficiency. As to the bridge officer, I have yet to meet one in 40+ years that knows what the fuel efficiency of a ship is, let alone compare it to another ship.