All Things Jewel of the Seas

BillOh

I had spoken to a vendor that does (did) SUP in the lagoon by San Juan. He said the water is toxic and unsafe for anyone to be in there. Do you know if that's still the case? How are the manatees?

He's now left the island, so I can't ask him directly.

At least a week ago the official government recommendation was to generally avoid it due to run-offs due to heavy raining and flooding. However, I've seen people paddleboarding in the lagoon and surfing, etc. No clue on the manatees...

In Martinique, please consider visiting the Balata Gardens. We went maybe two years ago and found the Gardens to be a very nice surprise, an enjoyable way to spend a morning or nice afternoon. Like previous posters, the town of Martinique is not a favorite port. But we would very gladly return to Balata Gardens. We did go on a ship’s tour, and that proved to be a wise choice, given the amount of traffic in town.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Justy received a changed itinerary for Feb 4th.It's Martinique and not Dominica.

Yup, discussed this on previous page...but thanks for the additional heads up! I think many of us got that email a couple of days ago.

Still so sad for the poor people of Dominica. :(

We just booked the jewel for 1/14. So excited!! Does anyone know if the ship will be docked at the pier near the Sheraton at old San Juan or at some other pier? I know there is another pier somewhere but I have never been to that one.

Also we like to take cabs to nice beaches when we are on the islands. Does anyone have any suggestions as to nice beaches?

We just booked the jewel for 1/14. So excited!! Does anyone know if the ship will be docked at the pier near the Sheraton at old San Juan or at some other pier? I know there is another pier somewhere but I have never been to that one.

Also we like to take cabs to nice beaches when we are on the islands. Does anyone have any suggestions as to nice beaches?

Jewel uses the Pan American pier.

It will be docked at the Pan American Pier. The Old San Juan pier is for ships making San Juan a port of call. Departing from San Juan, they use the Pan American Pier.

How far is the Pan American Pier from Old San Juan and also the airport? Is a taxi doable to and from the airport? Are there any convenience stores near the Pan American pier or is it an industrial area? Are there any hotels near this pier?

Where do people usually stay the night before embarking?

We have always cruised on Adventure but are now on the Jewel February 11, 2018 sailing out of San Juan. Can anyone tell me if there is a place on the Jewel that is open 24/7 to get coffee (free). My husband is a very early morning person, even on vacation, as am I. He usually goes down on the 5th deck of Adventure and gets us each a coffee to have out on our balcony. I don't see anything about this on the Jewel.

How far is the Pan American Pier from Old San Juan and also the airport? Is a taxi doable to and from the airport? Are there any convenience stores near the Pan American pier or is it an industrial area? Are there any hotels near this pier?

Where do people usually stay the night before embarking?

The Pan American Pier is right across the Bay from Old San Juan, probably a 10 minute taxi ride. We use a taxi to the airport all the time, around $20-$25 depending on the number of bags. Closest hotel to the Pan American Pier is the Sheraton Convention Center.

Not aware of any "usual" hotel that people use in San Juan, there are many, but some are still damaged from the storm.

Check the port of call forum for more info on hotels: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

Hi there! If you haven't already, come on over and join the roll call for this cruise! https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2343734 We are also on this cruise and the one afterwards. We love traveling to beaches by taxi as well. Here is what we will be doing for the cruise!

St. Thomas - Magen's Bay or Emerald Beach (not sure which one we are going to yet)

St. Kitts - Carambola Beach Club

Antigua - Dickenson Bay

St. Lucia - Rodney Bay is nice but we are doing an excursion through Shore Excursioneer to Pigeon Island Beach for 6 hours

Barbados - Boatyard Beach (BEST ever!)

In reference to the hotel, we are staying at Embassy Suites San Juan the night before. It's a short ride from the airport and it doesn't take long to get to the pier either. It's nice and not a bad price at all.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Edited by lauraodonnell86

Hello All,

We are sailing on the Jewel out of San Juan on December 10th. We have our air travel booked through Southwest. So far, I've not heard of anyone having problems with SW cancelling flights to SJ, and my SW app still says I'm going, so I think that's ok. (Knock wood.)

We had a reservation at the Sheraton Old Town, which has been cancelled. I tried several times to call the hotel directly and was unable to reach them. I finally called the main Sheraton 800 number. They told me that all the Sheratons around SJ are either damaged and/or contracted to relief workers. FYI - The guy did say that they expect to open back up to tourists in mid-January.

Right now I have two separate hotel reservations in Condado. I read a post somewhere that someone had reservations at 5 hotels and made it to #5 before they got a room. This was just recently, so hopefully by December we'll be ok. (Again, knock wood.)

We arrive on Friday for a Sunday cruise. I'd planned to book a tour and go out to see El Yunque. I'm thinking we'll just hang on the beach in Condado, now.

Jorge - I'd be interested in hearing any advice you have to offer for those of us coming to SJ in the next several weeks. Any hotels that you know for certain are operating? Is Old Town up and running for tourists? How are the beaches? Anything else?

And finally - we got an email from Royal just this week w/ our official itinerary. St Croix is now St. Kitts, Dominica is now Martinique, and St. Maarten is now Antigua. Overall, I'm very happy with these changes.

Looking forward to our trip and very much enjoying this thread and learning about our soon-to-be ship!

:) Jeanne

We have always cruised on Adventure but are now on the Jewel February 11, 2018 sailing out of San Juan. Can anyone tell me if there is a place on the Jewel that is open 24/7 to get coffee (free). My husband is a very early morning person, even on vacation, as am I. He usually goes down on the 5th deck of Adventure and gets us each a coffee to have out on our balcony. I don't see anything about this on the Jewel.

It is available over night in an area next to the Windjammer. It was never advertised but I found it by accident.

We're sailing 12/17/17, booked at the Caribe Hilton for the 16th, they just canceled our reservation. At the suggestion of the Hilton I called Royal and they put us on a waitlist for a hotel. However I was able to book direct with Courtyard San Juan Miramar, so canceled the waitlist . Might be a good idea to confirm hotel status in Puerto Rico for the next few months.

Donna

For everyone curious about their itinerary changes, the RC homepage has an itinerary update link at the very top of the homepage (it's now titled 'Royal Returns to St. Thomas, San Juan and St. Maarten'). It lists all changes for every ship through April.

Hello All,

We are sailing on the Jewel out of San Juan on December 10th. We have our air travel booked through Southwest. So far, I've not heard of anyone having problems with SW cancelling flights to SJ, and my SW app still says I'm going, so I think that's ok. (Knock wood.)

We had a reservation at the Sheraton Old Town, which has been cancelled. I tried several times to call the hotel directly and was unable to reach them. I finally called the main Sheraton 800 number. They told me that all the Sheratons around SJ are either damaged and/or contracted to relief workers. FYI - The guy did say that they expect to open back up to tourists in mid-January.

Right now I have two separate hotel reservations in Condado. I read a post somewhere that someone had reservations at 5 hotels and made it to #5 before they got a room. This was just recently, so hopefully by December we'll be ok. (Again, knock wood.)

We arrive on Friday for a Sunday cruise. I'd planned to book a tour and go out to see El Yunque. I'm thinking we'll just hang on the beach in Condado, now.

Jorge - I'd be interested in hearing any advice you have to offer for those of us coming to SJ in the next several weeks. Any hotels that you know for certain are operating? Is Old Town up and running for tourists? How are the beaches? Anything else?

And finally - we got an email from Royal just this week w/ our official itinerary. St Croix is now St. Kitts, Dominica is now Martinique, and St. Maarten is now Antigua. Overall, I'm very happy with these changes.

Looking forward to our trip and very much enjoying this thread and learning about our soon-to-be ship!

:) Jeanne

Hello Jeanne:

There are hotels working and taking reservations. However, relief personnel have priority. Please check the following link for the latest updates regarding hotels:

http://puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com/hotels/

I was yesterday in Condado area and electricity is coming back, as well as Miramar and Isla Verde.

Regarding Old San Juan, things are still pretty slow. Heard yesterday that part of Old San Juan already has electricity but need to confirm that. Most shops/restaurants/bars in Condado are open for service.

In the following weeks is better to follow the threads with experiences of recent travelers and I will try to answer as many questions as possible.

Regards,

Jorge

Leaving on Jewel, February 11 to Southern Caribbean. Since departure time is 8:30, when is the assembly drill usually? Trying to figure out dinner plans.

Thank you!

Last year on Adventure out of San Juan, muster was at 5:45. They pushed back dinner (both time slots) 30 mins on the first night. Hopefully this helps you!

Leaving on Jewel, February 11 to Southern Caribbean. Since departure time is 8:30, when is the assembly drill usually? Trying to figure out dinner plans.

Thank you!

We had the same problem with departure time out of Seward Alaska being

at 8 pm. Our 7 pm MTD reservations for the week was just not going to work out on that first night. We ended up just going to the WJ after muster drill and sail away.

Last year on Adventure out of San Juan, muster was at 5:45. They pushed back dinner (both time slots) 30 mins on the first night. Hopefully this helps you!

And I don't believe they let you schedule CHOPS for that time period.

Today the governor of Puerto Rico, Ricardo Rossello, along with La Fortaleza de PR and FEMA, announced that temporary accommodation assistance is available to Puerto Rico residents who can't return to their homes because they were displaced as a result Of hurricanes Irma and Maria. This is one of several short-term housing options that are being offered to cover the demand for safe housing after storms.

Temporary Accommodation Assistance (TSA) allows eligible applicants to stay in a hotel or motel for a limited time, such as a bridge to medium and long-term housing. FEMA pays all costs and taxes for the rooms directly to the participating hotels and motels.

This link shows the approved Transitional Sheltering Hotels in the San Juan Area:

http://fema.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...59aba91dd9e307

The 14 Approved Hotels are:

HOTEL EL CONVENTO

SHERATON OLD SAN JUAN

COQUI DEL MAR GUEST HOUSE

WIND CHIMES BOUTIQUE HOTEL

ACACIA BOUTIQUE HOTEL

RADISSON AMBASSADOR HOTEL

BEST WESTERN PLUS

HYATT HOUSE SAN JUAN

RAMADA HOTEL CONDADO

CASA DEL CARIBE

CONDADO PLAZA HILTON

CARIBE HILTON

EL CANARIO INN

DOUBLETREE BY HILTON SAN JUAN

COMFORT INN & SUITES - CAMPOMAR

Today the governor of Puerto Rico, Ricardo Rossello, along with La Fortaleza de PR and FEMA, announced that temporary accommodation assistance is available to Puerto Rico residents who can't return to their homes because they were displaced as a result Of hurricanes Irma and Maria. This is one of several short-term housing options that are being offered to cover the demand for safe housing after storms.

Temporary Accommodation Assistance (TSA) allows eligible applicants to stay in a hotel or motel for a limited time, such as a bridge to medium and long-term housing. FEMA pays all costs and taxes for the rooms directly to the participating hotels and motels.

This link shows the approved Transitional Sheltering Hotels in the San Juan Area:

http://fema.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...59aba91dd9e307

The 14 Approved Hotels are:

HOTEL EL CONVENTO

SHERATON OLD SAN JUAN

COQUI DEL MAR GUEST HOUSE

ACACIA BOUTIQUE HOTEL

RADISSON AMBASSADOR HOTEL

BEST WESTERN PLUS

HYATT HOUSE SAN JUAN

RAMADA HOTEL CONDADO

CASA DEL CARIBE

CONDADO PLAZA HILTON

CARIBE HILTON

EL CANARIO INN

DOUBLETREE BY HILTON SAN JUAN

COMFORT INN & SUITES - CAMPOMAR

I saw on their website they were hosting repair workers a few or so ago. They were on generator.

The Pan American Pier is right across the Bay from Old San Juan, probably a 10 minute taxi ride. We use a taxi to the airport all the time, around $20-$25 depending on the number of bags. Closest hotel to the Pan American Pier is the Sheraton Convention Center.

Not aware of any "usual" hotel that people use in San Juan, there are many, but some are still damaged from the storm.

Check the port of call forum for more info on hotels: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

Thank you so much for this information. I am starting to visualize the lay of the land. I am thinking we may stay at the Sheraton near the cruise port, I believe it is next to the convention center. It is super expensive for us but it seems like it might be the most convenient to the ship and also to get into old San Juan if we decide to tour the day before our cruise.

Hi there! If you haven't already, come on over and join the roll call for this cruise! https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2343734 We are also on this cruise and the one afterwards. We love traveling to beaches by taxi as well. Here is what we will be doing for the cruise!

St. Thomas - Magen's Bay or Emerald Beach (not sure which one we are going to yet)

St. Kitts - Carambola Beach Club

Antigua - Dickenson Bay

St. Lucia - Rodney Bay is nice but we are doing an excursion through Shore Excursioneer to Pigeon Island Beach for 6 hours

Barbados - Boatyard Beach (BEST ever!)

In reference to the hotel, we are staying at Embassy Suites San Juan the night before. It's a short ride from the airport and it doesn't take long to get to the pier either. It's nice and not a bad price at all.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Thank you so much for this info on beaches!! I will start to research them. I have not been to most of these islands before so I am excited to see new places.

I am headed over to the roll call now.