All Things Jewel of the Seas

BillOh

Bob, do you know how the future of Dominica is looking and if ships will be porting there? If not, do you know what it is being replaced with? Thanks for any info you have!

There was an article in the Sunday Times yesterday about which islands were affected and this is what it said about Dominica:

Dominica was the island worst affected by Hurricane Maria. The storm left 26 dead, 31 missing and more than two-thirds of the 74,000 population displaced — and the government is asking tourists to join the rebuilding effort.

Captain Stephen Norris, commander of the Royal Navy support vessel RFA Mounts Bay, said the “level of devastation was unprecedented” on Dominica, where mosquito-borne diseases are a concern. The International Red Cross is appealing for £4.25m for relief work.

Of the island’s 73 hotels, 27 were severely damaged or destroyed. An estimated 35% of its reefs have been damaged and all tourist attractions are closed for the foreseeable future.

“Voluntourism is one way we can move forward,” the Dominican tourist authority said. “But we need to do this properly by attracting the people who can be the most constructive. We’re wary of selfie-snapping disaster tourists.”

The working holidays won’t be on offer until March 2018, and will be organised through established aid agencies. Tour operators will also be approached to sell trips to suitably qualified clients.

Can anyone tell me the hours of the Gym and the hours of the Windjammer on the Jewel? And besides the Café in the Solarium, is there anywhere else to get specialty coffees?

Thanks!

You can get specialty coffees at Cafe Latte-Tudes in the Centrum.

Hi all:

The port in San Juan is up and running. I will be cruising on the Jewel on november 19. I live in San Juan so if anyone has a specific question that maybe I can help you with regarding accommodations or anything else, please feel free to ask.

Hi all:

The port in San Juan is up and running. I will be cruising on the Jewel on november 19. I live in San Juan so if anyone has a specific question that maybe I can help you with regarding accommodations or anything else, please feel free to ask.

Thank-you for your kind offer,.and welcome to Cruise Critic.

I'm curious if you know the status of the piers in Old San Juan. Carnival uses those for initial embarkation/disembakration and I'm wondering if there is some damage to the terminal building that is making it impossible for those operations.

Thank-you for your kind offer,.and welcome to Cruise Critic.

I'm curious if you know the status of the piers in Old San Juan. Carnival uses those for initial embarkation/disembakration and I'm wondering if there is some damage to the terminal building that is making it impossible for those operations.

I don't know the current status. There were damages and the port and building were closed, but they've since re-opened. The government has a website that show current status and, even has a live chat m, regarding specific tourism questions (ports, airports, hotels, etc). Link:

http://puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com/ports/

Regards,

Jorge

I don't know the current status. There were damages and the port and building were closed, but they've since re-opened. The government has a website that show current status and, even has a live chat m, regarding specific tourism questions (ports, airports, hotels, etc). Link:

http://puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com/ports/

Regards,

Jorge

Thanks for the link Jorge.

Can anyone tell me the hours of the Gym and the hours of the Windjammer on the Jewel? And besides the Café in the Solarium, is there anywhere else to get specialty coffees?

Thanks!

Since you are sailing out of San Juan this winter, watch for reviews and maybe ask again before then. Jewel is still in the Med and things may change. I love Jewel, but the Windjammer hours on our last cruise from San Juan were not as good as our previous cruise. We arrived in Barbados at 8am and at 7am the WJ wasn't open yet.

Hi all:

Thank you for posting. I do have a few questions that I don't see addressed on the site you provided. I have been to Puerto Rico several times but it is a first for my girlfriend so I wanted to take her several places. Do you happen to know the status of the following:

Arecibo Observatory

Camuy Caverns

El Yunque

Bio Bay near Fajardo

Luquillo Kiosks

We are there a few days before our cruise and 1 day after. We are sailing in late January so if something isn't quite open yet, we are hopeful it will be by the time we arrive. Any information you can pass along would be appreciated.

Thank you for posting. I do have a few questions that I don't see addressed on the site you provided. I have been to Puerto Rico several times but it is a first for my girlfriend so I wanted to take her several places. Do you happen to know the status of the following:

Arecibo Observatory

Camuy Caverns

El Yunque

Bio Bay near Fajardo

Luquillo Kiosks

We are there a few days before our cruise and 1 day after. We are sailing in late January so if something isn't quite open yet, we are hopeful it will be by the time we arrive. Any information you can pass along would be appreciated.

As you know, the magnitude of Hurricane Maria was unprecedented. I believe that Arecibo Observatory, Camuy and El Yunque are all still closed. Luquillo Kiosks are open, was there last weekend. Regarding Bio Bay, not sure. Best to call or inquire at the hotel you'll be staying.

Cueva Ventana in Arecibo is open. But my suggestion would be to inquire at the hotel desk for updated schedule of every attraction you would like to visit.

As you know, the magnitude of Hurricane Maria was unprecedented. I believe that Arecibo Observatory, Camuy and El Yunque are all still closed. Luquillo Kiosks are open, was there last weekend. Regarding Bio Bay, not sure. Best to call or inquire at the hotel you'll be staying.

Cueva Ventana in Arecibo is open. But my suggestion would be to inquire at the hotel desk for updated schedule of every attraction you would like to visit.

Thank you again for your response. I'll be sure to follow their respective websites for updates. I did follow this event quite closely since I have friends with family in Puerto Rico. I have see the pictures of El Yunque and Arecibo Observatory after Maria. I can only imagine what it must have been like during Maria. During Harvey we only had the rain but very little wind where I am located.

Thank you again for your response. I'll be sure to follow their respective websites for updates. I did follow this event quite closely since I have friends with family in Puerto Rico. I have see the pictures of El Yunque and Arecibo Observatory after Maria. I can only imagine what it must have been like during Maria. During Harvey we only had the rain but very little wind where I am located.

It was really scary. Nobody could imagine the magnitude. I went by El Yunque last week and it looks like a movie, like a nuclear bomb was dropped right in the middle. But we will get back on our feet...In the meantime, a bit of cruising won't hurt... Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Regards,

Jorge

Just got our email today from RCI. Dominica indeed is cancelled (and our tour will be refunded to our Visa card), replaced by Martinique. So sad for the people of Dominica, not only loss of so much on the island, and now loss of tourist dollars.

Just got our email today from RCI. Dominica indeed is cancelled (and our tour will be refunded to our Visa card), replaced by Martinique. So sad for the people of Dominica, not only loss of so much on the island, and now loss of tourist dollars.

Yes we got our email also. We’re sailing on the Jewel’s January 21st departure.

There was an article in the Sunday Times yesterday about which islands were affected and this is what it said about Dominica:

Dominica was the island worst affected by Hurricane Maria. The storm left 26 dead, 31 missing and more than two-thirds of the 74,000 population displaced — and the government is asking tourists to join the rebuilding effort.

Captain Stephen Norris, commander of the Royal Navy support vessel RFA Mounts Bay, said the “level of devastation was unprecedented” on Dominica, where mosquito-borne diseases are a concern. The International Red Cross is appealing for £4.25m for relief work.

Of the island’s 73 hotels, 27 were severely damaged or destroyed. An estimated 35% of its reefs have been damaged and all tourist attractions are closed for the foreseeable future.

“Voluntourism is one way we can move forward,” the Dominican tourist authority said. “But we need to do this properly by attracting the people who can be the most constructive. We’re wary of selfie-snapping disaster tourists.”

The working holidays won’t be on offer until March 2018, and will be organised through established aid agencies. Tour operators will also be approached to sell trips to suitably qualified clients.

To reinforce this, and since this thread is about Jewel. Got this email today.

Dear Guest:

We have an update regarding your Jewel of the Seas, April 29th sailing. Due to the recent storms’ impact on the Caribbean, we had to make a slight modification to your itinerary. We will now be visiting Fort De France, Martinique on 5/2, instead of Roseau, Dominica.

In Martinique, please consider visiting the Balata Gardens. We went maybe two years ago and found the Gardens to be a very nice surprise, an enjoyable way to spend a morning or nice afternoon. Like previous posters, the town of Martinique is not a favorite port. But we would very gladly return to Balata Gardens. We did go on a ship’s tour, and that proved to be a wise choice, given the amount of traffic in town.

Yuck.

We actually booked this upcoming Jewel cruise in January due to going to Dominica. Poor people there. So sad.

I can appreciate that sentiment. Dominica and Martinique would both be new to us, and I don't know enough to say which I would prefer, but from what I read I would probablby prefer Dominica less in its current state, so I guess I'll have to plan another trip back there. I will still have 2 other islands that will be new for us, I chose this cruise because of the 3 new islands.

In Martinique, please consider visiting the Balata Gardens. We went maybe two years ago and found the Gardens to be a very nice surprise, an enjoyable way to spend a morning or nice afternoon. Like previous posters, the town of Martinique is not a favorite port. But we would very gladly return to Balata Gardens. We did go on a ship’s tour, and that proved to be a wise choice, given the amount of traffic in town.

Thanks for that insight.

Thanks!

Sailed on the Jewel in February from San Juan. Fitness Center was open from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM.

Windjammer was open 6:30-11:00 AM (7:00-11:00 on sea days) breakfast, 11:30-2:30 PM lunch, 3:00-5:00 PM snacks, and 6:30-9:00 PM dinner.

There is a Cafe Latte-tudes coffee bar on the ship which opens at 6:30 AM.

Hi all:

I had spoken to a vendor that does (did) SUP in the lagoon by San Juan. He said the water is toxic and unsafe for anyone to be in there. Do you know if that's still the case? How are the manatees?

He's now left the island, so I can't ask him directly.