Asking for Social Security Number when booking with Celebrity Cruise Line?

jazzman007

Asking for Social Security Number when booking with Celebrity Cruise Line?

My mom is trying to book a cruise trip with Celebrity Cruise line. Her travel agent is asking her for Social Security Number along with her Birthday and Passport.

The travel agent told her that it is Celebrity Cruise policy. I told my Mom not to give out her SSN and cancel her booking.

Sounds like a scam from the Travel Agent. I have been traveling all over the world, including different cruise lines. I have never been asked to give out my SSN for any traveling booking.

Edited by jazzman007
Removing TA name

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As the previous poster stated, Celebrity does not require giving your Social Security number in order to book a cruise and sail with them.

Cruise Critic posting guidelines do not allow naming of Travel Agents. So if your post gets edited or deleted altogether by a moderator, that will be the reason why.

But most importantly, don't book with this agency if they insist on supplying them a social security number.

I've never been asked for SSN and won't give it to a TA and especially wouldn't give it to X based on their myriad website issues. You do need to give your birthday and passport #. I have never been asked for SSN for any travel on X or other cruise lines or for that matter for any international or national travel by any TA.

Don't give out SSN, it is not a Celebrity requirement. Switch to someone else. Just a heads up, you are not allowed to post TA names.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info. I am new to this forum, just removed the TA name

Correct me if I am wrong but you do not need to give the passport information at the time of booking. Any information of that nature will be required to fill out your cruise/e docs, certainly not for the initial booking.

If you are sailing on a closed loop cruise you don't even technically need a passport. It's always wiser to sail with a passport but not required if the proper ids are furnished.

Some TA's will ask for a birthday to verify a senior discount if available or even to send a birthday greeting to urge you to book a cruise to celebrate.

I agree with the others who have replied.

There is something very fishy about that TA who

(1) asked for her social security number, when there was no need for it

and then

(2) deliberately lied to her by claiming it was Celebrity Cruise policy.

I just hope that she did not give him any money and that she reports him, as Cruise Junky advised.

Double check that info about closed loop cruises not requiring a passport (US citizens can do this with a birth certificate), That is true in the Caribbean but not true worldwide. Not even sure it's true for closed loop Alaska itineraries.

It is true for cruises starting and ending in the US. However, if you are in another country and miss the ships departure it's going to be a real pain to get back home or to the next port the ship will be at. The ticket counter at the other country's airport won't accept your birth certificate/US drivers license as your proof of identity. You must have a passport to reenter the US by air so you'd have to go to the us embassy for help.