Foods Not to Eat at the Buffet

So these foods are only bad if you eat them off the buffet?

Which was the question of this thread.

I never said or implied anything remotely like what you are saying. I believe my comments, unlike yours, are responsive to the thread and the viewpoint was clear. I'm not sure why you want to take issue. Here is the OP's original question:

"I'm working on an article for Cruise Critic about foods to avoid at the buffet, and I figured I'd ask our awesome members for some input. Are there items you avoid? If so, what are they, and why do you avoid them? Thanks in advance!"

Many (most?) fruit juices are flavored sugar water.

/quote]

It helps to have common understanding of words. "Fruit juices" are juices made from fruit. If you include Kool-aid and other artificially flavored beverages under the term, you are not talking about fruit juice.

Apple juice, orange juice, and grapefruit juice are fruit juices which I have encountered on cruise ships - I would not include the colored belly-wash sometimes served in a discussion of FRUIT JUICE.

I never said or implied anything remotely like what you are saying. I believe my comments, unlike yours, are responsive to the thread and the viewpoint was clear. I'm not sure why you want to take issue. Here is the OP's original question:

"I'm working on an article for Cruise Critic about foods to avoid at the buffet, and I figured I'd ask our awesome members for some input. Are there items you avoid? If so, what are they, and why do you avoid them? Thanks in advance!"

They were asking specific to the buffet. And you responded with a list of foods you avoid, no matter the venue.

That is not exactly responsive to the original question.

Apple juice, orange juice, and grapefruit juice are fruit juices which I have encountered on cruise ships - I would not include the colored belly-wash sometimes served in a discussion of FRUIT JUICE.

Grapefruit juice typically has a lot of sugar added, as grapefruit is not sweet naturally.

Orange juice has a lot of sugar, because oranges have a lot of sugar. It may have added sugar to meet the tastes of consumers.

Cranberry juice also has a lot of sugar added, as they are not sweet.

/quote]

It helps to have common understanding of words. "Fruit juices" are juices made from fruit. If you include Kool-aid and other artificially flavored beverages under the term, you are not talking about fruit juice.

I can't imagine someone thinking Kool-Aid is a fruit juice. I am sorry to confuse you with facts, but unfortunately a whole variety of "juices made from fruit"contain artificial flavorings.

Let me try to help you further. Current wisdom from many health professionals is that drinking fruit juice is about the same as drinking a soda. That includes your definition of fruit juice, meaning in other words, orange juice.

They were asking specific to the buffet. And you responded with a list of foods you avoid, no matter the venue.

That is not exactly responsive to the original question.

I clearly explained that my comments were from a healthy living perspective. I think that is a good thing to consider when writing an article about what not to eat at a buffet. I also don’t think my comments were in any way inappropriate.

There are other posts that don’t meet your standards of relevance, yet you didn’t chide them. Still, for some reason you decide to police my post. There was nothing in my comments that should make you defensive or cause any insult. I just don't get it.

I can't imagine someone thinking Kool-Aid is a fruit juice. I am sorry to confuse you with facts, but unfortunately a whole variety of "juices made from fruit"contain artificial flavorings.

You seem to have that problem - given your contention that:

"Many (most?) fruit juices are flavored sugar water"

(Your precise words - which happens to be a fair description of Kool-Aid.)

If you do not want to talk about fruit juice, I suggest you not use the term "fruit juice".

Most people who use the term "fruit juice" mean fruit. juice -- and NOT "juices made from fruit".

Things I avoid on the buffet:

Anything that looks like it's been sitting too long (you know it when you see it).

Anything that I know from experience doesn't "hold" well or dries out too easily (pancakes are a good example here).

Anything that would taste nasty at the wrong temperature (lukewarm).

Meat that should be served rare to medium-rare but will, invariably, be overcooked.

Steam table scrambled or fried eggs.

I avoid foods that have the handle of the serving utensil touching it, for those items where the serving utensil is kept in the food. I will always pick foods from the back of the serving tray in case the handle touched the food.

You seem to have that problem - given your contention that:

"Many (most?) fruit juices are flavored sugar water"

(Your precise words - which happens to be a fair description of Kool-Aid.)

If you do not want to talk about fruit juice, I suggest you not use the term "fruit juice".

Most people who use the term "fruit juice" mean fruit. juice -- and NOT "juices made from fruit".

Excuse me. Please re-read your post. I know your were being witty, but your own pithy definition of fruit juice was "juices made from fruit". I used your own phrase in the hopes you would be less confused. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Maybe it's a European thing, but the 'semolina' on the MSC Divina was wam cooked pasta flour. I wanted grits!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

GRITS!! NO!!!

I don't avoid turkey bacon but I avoid grits in the buffet, in the MDR, everywhere in fact.

Current wisdom from many health professionals is that drinking fruit juice is about the same as drinking a soda. That includes your definition of fruit juice, meaning in other words, orange juice.

I find it helpful, when I hear of "current wisdom from health professionals" recommending we don't eat certain foods, to carry on eating the foods anyway. Then when they change their minds yet again and put your food back on the approved list, you're already doing it right!

I have to say, the one thing I have learned to never eat in the buffet is cheesecake. I love cheesecake, and in order for the cheesecake to stay firm on a humid ship in the Caribbean, they add gelatin to it. There is nothing worse that eating rubbery cheesecake. BLECK!

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/articles.cfm?ID=3018

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

"To help us with our choices, we consulted Ali Shapiro, a Pittsburgh-based integrated health coach, who offered some tips on how to better navigate the warren of options that abound at the buffet."

I'm no journalist, but it seems like Ashley should have at least mentioned soliciting information from the forum as well?

"To help us with our choices, we consulted Ali Shapiro, a Pittsburgh-based integrated health coach, who offered some tips on how to better navigate the warren of options that abound at the buffet."

I'm no journalist, but it seems like Ashley should have at least mentioned soliciting information from the forum as well?

But if she mentioned soliciting info from the forum she would also have to mention the prolonged 'discussions' aka, nasty fights about turkey bacon and fruit juices. :D

Be careful what you wish for.;)

/quote]

Many prepacked "juices" do indeed have added sugar and also may not be pure juice of the variety that you think you are getting. Often processed apple juice is used as a base and other juices added to give the required flavour. I can't drink these types of "juices".

Some (most?) cruise ships do have freshly squeezed orange juice at extra cost, and that is usually very nice. It is served with the pulp in it so is a little healthier too.