Walking around Puerto Rico?

Produce123

Hi there. We have read that the Puerto Rico stop on Carnival Vista is a great place to explore by foot. Can anyone recommend a website or walking route that we should take once we get off the ship? We would like to do our own thing without a tour but not sure which direction we should go to see the most of the city. Thanks.

Hi there

Welcome to cruise critic.

While you can, you don't even have to walk. From the port the only way to go is uphill. There is a free trolley. If you do a web search for "San Juan free trolley" you will find many links to start your search for maps and things t o see.

Also, since you have found this site, you can find much information here. If you go to the "boards home" page looking down you will a section titled "port of calls". Click the link for Caribbean and you will see additional links for all you cruise stops (including San Juan). You will be able to find much info about everything you might consider seeing or doing and if you don't find it, just ask.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Hi there. We have read that the Puerto Rico stop on Carnival Vista is a great place to explore by foot. Can anyone recommend a website or walking route that we should take once we get off the ship? We would like to do our own thing without a tour but not sure which direction we should go to see the most of the city. Thanks.

When you arrive at San Juan, there is a gift shop in the terminal that has free maps of Old San Juan. Be sure to get one. They're very handy. Nic6318 is correct about the trollies, but they only follow the main thoroughfares. If you wish to explore the narrow side streets, you'll still have to walk. I highly recommend a comfortable pair of walking shoes, and NOT flip-flops or thin sandals.

From the port the only way to go is uphill.

120% true!!!!!!

find your way up to del Morro "the big fort" ... then walk to San Cristóbal (smaller fort)

which will pretty much take you across the top of old San Juan

from there it is all down hill to the ship

We walked from the cruise ship to El Morro. It was all uphill but very pretty. If you like walking, I'd suggest it. We took the free trolley on back to the downtown area. It can take you to the other fort, but we decided to skip it.

Here's a map I made.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16RIkmQPs-sAzIovhjNVPVPhsYj0&usp=sharing

There are lots of hills, and it's HOT as HELL! Humid, too....so if you aren't active or in the best of health, you may find it challenging. It's totally walkable, if you can walk with no problems, and the heat doesn't exhaust you.

Our favorite walk in San Juan is all on the level -- just above sea level. It is a long, skinny walkway/park along the waterfront, all the way from the port to below El Morro. It starts with a walk through a broader park, to the left of the port, and continues for a mile or two. Along the way there are a couple of gates into the Old City. We usually walk out to the end, then double back and go through one of the gates for a change on our way back to the ship.

My wife and I have been to San Juan about 10 times ,We usually walk north of the cruise port for a block and then walk east and west and to that on every block as far as we can walk .There are often late afternoon festivals .

There are two free regular size buses that you can get on and off as you please. A lot of the local people use these buses as well. Their routes are different but some stops are the same. All of the stops have a sign for them, you can't just flag a bus down. You can just get on & off to explore.

You get them on the corner on the left when you cross the street. There are always people waiting for them but it is never a long wait for a bus at all.

I know one or maybe both stop at El Moro which is the fort you see coming in and out of the harbor. It was built in the 1500's and is well worth the visit there. But, it is a long walk up to it but the walk is worth it! Google El Moro and you'll see!

Old San Juan (OSJ) is a very accessible area - by foot - as long as you don't mind walking and hills, as others have mentioned. If you don't like walking, then stop reading.

Additionally, it is pretty safe, especially during the day.

Previous posters have mentioned the forts - which are both really interesting, affordable, and doable on a shore day. There are a lot of tourist-y shops all over, but also some cool little boutique shops selling more authentic, interesting things. Plenty of places to pop in for a quick bite, a Medalla beer, some mofongo, or just a little AC.

If you have time, make a reservation for a meal at Marmalade (http://www.marmaladepr.com/). It's not cheap, and if you can you'll want to dedicate time for a lengthy meal. But it is my favorite restaurant in the world. The chef is a genius. The staff are wonderful. It's not a boricuan place. It's not a steak and potatoes kind of place. It's not a kale salad wraps kind of place. If you're into food you will be hard pressed to find a better meal in the region at least. And they have great cocktails.

Old San Juan is pretty compact and can be easily covered on foot if you are reasonably mobile. Get a cirty map, then start by walking up hill to the fort at the east end of the walls that face the Atlantic - getting the uphill part over with in the morning - while you are fresh and it is cooler than in the afternoon. Then work your way west to El Moro at the harbor mouth, then head back through the center of the old city - down hill .

Welcome. Old San Juan is walkable if you're reasonably mobile. As others have said, wear sturdy shoes. The streets are cobblestone, the sidewalks can be uneven, and it's all uphill to the forts. Depending on your port times, I'd go to San Cristobal first, then walk along the northern path to del Morro. If you port later in the day, you may only have time for one, in which case I'd go to del Morro. While at del Morro, go to the cemetery wall and look east along the shore. The waves breaking on the rocks is really tranquil.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

I don't know it they're available in that city but google "free walking tour" for the city you're in. I did one in Budapest and am planning to do one in Hamburg with Sandeman.

When in Hamburg do not miss

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg

The largest model railway in the world, and one of the most successful permanent exhibitions in Northern Germany.

you do not need to be a model train freak to like this place

go early .... we planned to spend and hour or maybe two and at the end of 5 could have stayed longer but there were other things on the 'see' list.

An AMAZING place ... the airport scene has to be seen to be believed

When in Hamburg do not miss

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg

The largest model railway in the world, and one of the most successful permanent exhibitions in Northern Germany.

you do not need to be a model train freak to like this place

go early .... we planned to spend and hour or maybe two and at the end of 5 could have stayed longer but there were other things on the 'see' list.

An AMAZING place ... the airport scene has to be seen to be believed

The OP was asking about San Juan. While I agree that Hamburg is a fascinating city, Germany is a little too far away to be part of an Eastern Caribbean itinerary.