what type of gifts in addition to money for staff

trippintex

Crew know that by turning down a item offered by a guest or not received with profuse thanks will cause guests to run to GS and remove all gratuities so their response to the guest can affect many people. On land, you only risk alienating one guest who don't tip you.

Maybe when you're talking about gifts that were purchased for the sole purpose of giving to a crew member. I was talking about leftover liquor. How could I be insulted if the crew member doesn't want my leftovers? Especially when it's easy to say, "thanks, that's very kind of you, but I don't drink."

I actually asked this question of a friend of mine, who worked as a dancer on a cruise ship during a gap year of college. Her on board job wasn't directly service related, but she said that what they really want is cash and positive comment cards, and that the majority of other "gifts" do get thrown away after the passengers leave. She did mention one thing other than cash that is always very well received from the crew - prepaid phone cards so they can call home from port.

I actually asked this question of a friend of mine, who worked as a dancer on a cruise ship during a gap year of college. Her on board job wasn't directly service related, but she said that what they really want is cash and positive comment cards, and that the majority of other "gifts" do get thrown away after the passengers leave. She did mention one thing other than cash that is always very well received from the crew - prepaid phone cards so they can call home from port.

Back in the day I know the phone cards were great. Now they are practically obsolete. Most crew have cell phones that are pay as you go with US numbers and have no need for the phone cards anymore. They also can keep in touch on the same cell phone or computer with discounted wi-fi on the ship. Don't think they do? Go to any local place in port that offers free wi-fi and you will see lots of crew on their devices. I can't recall the last time I saw any of them on a pay phone.

The subject comes up when I talk to the waiters, bartenders, and room stewards about their families. They all keep in touch by phone or computer. With cash they can buy their own minutes on the ship.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I'm thinking of bringing postcards from home, writing my thank you's on those and then putting in an envelope with tip. Let them see a little bit of Wyoming, even if it goes in the trash later. :)

Take those postcards, put the name, position of crew, what they did and give to Guest Services. Positive comments from guests result in raises, bonuses, extra time off, better positions, better stations, promotions.

If you truly want to give them something that is not cash, how about a gift card for calling home. Many of them are not from the US, and calls home are short and far in-between.

That's out dated information. Maybe 5 years ago it was true.

Now, either they all have cell phones or they can use Skype for free.

Over on the HAL board is a post about passengers making craft items and trying to sell them on the ship. that topic drifted some, too, but one crew member who works security on HAL ships, said that two or three times a week there is a 'flea market' set up in the crew area, when they sell or barter items they have picked up on shore, or skills they can trade, such as barbering, sewing, etc. I would bet a lot of the well intentioned gifts end up on the sale tables. EM

I would not wish to put a crew member in the position of having to smile and feign gratitude for the trinket I gave him/her before tossing it in the trash. To do so is to make me feel special, not said crew member. Cash and positive comments to their employer are the only way to go.

On our first cruise we gave our room staff and our dinner staff cash and a note. I also gave both a glowing review on the survey.

I do like the idea of maybe some candy from home. I am in Ohio so maybe some Buckeyes. I also like the idea of picking something up in port for them. I got the greatest Rum Cakes in Cozumel. If I would have thought of it I would have brought a couple back for the room stewards. I think for the dinner staff just straight up cash.

I don't know that I would go the clothing/jewelry route since I wouldn't know sizes or if the ears were pierced or if they were allergic to a certain kind of metal.

I always give them cash and say thank you.

I have heard that they really like chocolates and silk stockings...... oh wait never mind that was from old world war 2 movie.

Oh boy, that made me laugh out loud! :D

I can’t find it now but one CC veteran poster stated something to the effect:

I always go to my local Dollar Store and buy several mini gift bags and stuff them full of special trinkets,doo-dads, and wing-dings and distribute them to all the Carnival staff. One time, I cruised during Thanksgiving and brought a 35-pound frozen turkey for my cabin steward. :D LOL !

I can’t find it now but one CC veteran poster stated something to the effect:

I always go to my local Dollar Store and buy several mini gift bags and stuff them full of special trinkets,doo-dads, and wing-dings and distribute them to all the Carnival staff. One time, I cruised during Thanksgiving and brought a 35-pound frozen turkey for my cabin steward. :D LOL !

That poster's comments you were quoting are so condescending and ridiculous it made me laugh.............

........everyone knows there's no such thing as a 35lb. turkey. It was probably more like 20lbs.......tops! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe when you're talking about gifts that were purchased for the sole purpose of giving to a crew member. I was talking about leftover liquor. How could I be insulted if the crew member doesn't want my leftovers? Especially when it's easy to say, "thanks, that's very kind of you, but I don't drink."

Seriously? Would you tell a waitress that she can finish the meal that you didn't finish? In this day and age with all of the crazy people out there, anybody that would drink from an opened bottle of a person that they didn't know is desperate for a drink and just asking for trouble. If you're talking about an unopened bottle, that's one thing but by "leftover" I'm guessing an opened bottle.

Seriously? Would you tell a waitress that she can finish the meal that you didn't finish? In this day and age with all of the crazy people out there, anybody that would drink from an opened bottle of a person that they didn't know is desperate for a drink and just asking for trouble. If you're talking about an unopened bottle, that's one thing but by "leftover" I'm guessing an opened bottle.

It was an unopened bottle of wine that i offered to the steward. We brought 2 and only drank 1. Now, we did leave the rest of our bottle of vodka. But the wine was what we asked him if he would like.

The reason I used the word leftover in the post was to differentiate between buying a gift for someone and offering someone something that is essentially a leftover that you were going to use but now you're not.

is it customary to give a gift other than cash gratuity to the service staff?

I'm a little confused on this. We are taking our first cruise in less than 2 weeks.

I need to gather as much info as possible, so whatever "tips" you can tell me is appreciated.

I'm a little confused on this. We are taking our first cruise in less than 2 weeks.

I need to gather as much info as possible, so whatever "tips" you can tell me is appreciated.

No, I think most people just stick with the automatic gratuity. However, if you get excellent service & feel someone deserves a little extra, cash is always appreciated. Sometimes we give extra, sometimes we don't. We never adjust the automatic gratuities down, though.

No, it is not customary to give anything over tips. Cash is really what they need/want/work for. Some people like to do other things as you can read in this post.

The best thing you can do above cash is fill out a comment card or write a letter to carnival telling them how great the employee was. And let the employee know you did it.

I do like the idea someone mentioned asking the crew if they'd like them to pick up something in port. That's really nice if you have the time or desire to do so.

No, I think most people just stick with the automatic gratuity. However, if you get excellent service & feel someone deserves a little extra, cash is always appreciated. Sometimes we give extra, sometimes we don't. We never adjust the automatic gratuities down, though.

This is our feeling exactly :)

Sebleo,

Makes sense. We already prepaid the gratuities when we booked. However, if I do receive service I believe warrants additional $$$.

let say room service, or a large drink order, whatever. is a minimum of a few bucks good enough? what are your guidelines? we usually go to all inclusives. I'm a pretty liberal tipper.

Sebleo,

Makes sense. We already prepaid the gratuities when we booked. However, if I do receive service I believe warrants additional $$$.

let say room service, or a large drink order, whatever. is a minimum of a few bucks good enough? what are your guidelines? we usually go to all inclusives. I'm a pretty liberal tipper.

Hi, guy. Room service is not included in the daily gratuities, so slip a few bucks to the server. Otherwise, it's all subjective. Do whatever you feel is right as far as tipping in addition to the auto-grats.