what type of gifts in addition to money for staff

trippintex

I have a book on origami using paper money. I have left room stewards elephants made from money when they leave me a towel elephant. It seems to always go over very well. I had one steward tell me that he was going to give his to his daughter.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

We have done that too, and our room steward got a big kick out of it. His towel animals were really amped up, and he got a bunch of money origami animals from us. He told us he was saving the animals for his kids.

Why give gift cards to stores that aren't even in most crew's countries or ports the ship goes to? Plus they have very little time off the ship, if they even get off at all. You're just inconveniencing them or giving them something that won't get used. Gift cards are a horrible idea.

And don't think Visa gift cards are any better. Most don't work outside of the US.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We have done that too, and our room steward got a big kick out of it. His towel animals were really amped up, and he got a bunch of money origami animals from us. He told us he was saving the animals for his kids.

Of course he got a big kick out of it -- or made it seem that way -- he'd like more. Even if you DID make it harder for him to get a good exchange rate on those bills because of all of the folding.

Now we get down to the nuts and bolts of the issue.

Giving a "gift" is not about the appreciation of service received. No, It's all about YOU and making YOU feel better.

True gift giving is about trying to make the recipient feel appreciated. Just because you are selfish enough to make it about how you feel, not all of us are that selfish.

Yeah, he didn't. He may have told them about silly Americans but that cash was deposited into his account and sent home.

• 6 months later...

Goodness people. I realize this is a very old thread, but reading through the responses prompted me to weigh in. I was a flight attendant for many years, and I can tell you firsthand that on the rare occasion a passenger brought us chocolates, flowers, or even homemade treats we were all thrilled. That goes from the gate agents to the flight attendants, pilots, and everyone else who works with the public and routinely gets treated like absolute trash. 

Of course cruise staff would like a cash tip. But they are also human beings and probably appreciate a thoughtful gift. It makes sense that they don't want or need t-shirts or things that would take up room in their living quarters, but consumables are probably sincerely appreciated. Things like travel size hand lotions, face sheet masks, lip balm, shower gel, candy, drink powders, and so on. Even if the scent/formulation/flavor is not something that appeals, they will pass the items along to others and someone will surely get some use out of them. 

The central point, and one that it seems like so many people on here miss, is that a touch of human kindness goes a long way. That's true if you are in a restaurant, hotel, Uber, train station, or cruise ship. So for those of you who want to show your appreciation with a small gift, please don't let the collective noise of a hundred grumpy old farts dissuade you from making a connection with someone who is working hard. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, amberinflight said:

Goodness people. I realize this is a very old thread, but reading through the responses prompted me to weigh in. I was a flight attendant for many years, and I can tell you firsthand that on the rare occasion a passenger brought us chocolates, flowers, or even homemade treats we were all thrilled. That goes from the gate agents to the flight attendants, pilots, and everyone else who works with the public and routinely gets treated like absolute trash. 

Of course cruise staff would like a cash tip. But they are also human beings and probably appreciate a thoughtful gift. It makes sense that they don't want or need t-shirts or things that would take up room in their living quarters, but consumables are probably sincerely appreciated. Things like travel size hand lotions, face sheet masks, lip balm, shower gel, candy, drink powders, and so on. Even if the scent/formulation/flavor is not something that appeals, they will pass the items along to others and someone will surely get some use out of them. 

The central point, and one that it seems like so many people on here miss, is that a touch of human kindness goes a long way. That's true if you are in a restaurant, hotel, Uber, train station, or cruise ship. So for those of you who want to show your appreciation with a small gift, please don't let the collective noise of a hundred grumpy old farts dissuade you from making a connection with someone who is working hard. 

To you be fair, you were not in a tipped occupation and you had a home and family to take things home to. I work in a job that interacts with the public and we are not permitted to accept cash. People do occasionally bring in food and baked goods for us, which is a nice gesture. Sometimes the are eaten and sometimes they go to waste. You never say anything except "thank you" in response to a gift, whether you want it or not. But when I was in a position where I could accept a cash tip, you better believe that was 100 times better in my eyes than a gift I may or may not want. I suspect most of the crew don't care much to receive gifts and while there is probably a crew pool of edible gifts so they can share things that are not to their taste, I would imagine clothing and trinkets end up in the trash.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:40 AM, trippintex said:

we where thinking of bring a couple of gifts for crew my be american football tee shirt for the guys and earrings for the girls plus money

A friend of mine tells this story, I have no idea if it is true since I wasn't there.

He was cruising with his girlfriend (now his wife) and asked the cabin steward if he could give him a gift of appreciation along with a cash tip.

He said that the cabin steward thought for a couple of minutes then replied, "Sex with your girlfriend would be nice".

Knowing my friend I doubt that he gave the steward the gift he asked for.

On 2/25/2019 at 5:27 PM, coevan said:

news flash, they sell pretty darn good coffee on the islands. what makes you think they allow coffee machines in their cabins, doubt it.

You don't need a coffee machine to make coffee. And yes, exactly. The islands sell great coffee. But that doesn't mean the crew has time to go have some. 

Edited by Doggielover68

On 8/19/2018 at 12:50 PM, julie3fan said:

What?? I've never heard that bills that were folded lose value.

Because it isn't true. Torn and extremely worn bills are difficult to deposit in the bank in some countries. Belize an St Lucia are two where I have talked about this with locals. I have never found folds to be an issue, and I do ask if the bills are okay every time. 

We always give extra cash to our steward and wait staff.  However, some of the biggest smiles we have gotten have come from staff at the pursers desk or the security staff where you get on and off when we present them with a small snack size baggie of Hershey chocolate nuggets.  Not a big thing but a nice surprise.  I recently gave a baggie to the bathroom attendant and you would have thought it was a bar of gold.  She was so excited just to be appreciated.