what type of gifts in addition to money for staff

trippintex

If we are heading into town at a port stop we will ask our room attendant if they need anything from the store, some type of toiletry, etc. Some have taken me up on the offer before, usually toothpaste or some type soap. Had one ask for a particular liquor he could not get on the ship. Happy to oblige and when they go to pay for their items I tell them don't worry about it.

This is not in lieu of a tip; it's just a nice gesture we do for crew that we know don't get time off very often to restock.

I have gifted room attendants unopened bottles of wine also on the last day.

I do not pack junk and hand it out like it's sunshine from heaven.

If we are heading into town at a port stop we will ask our room attendant if they need anything from the store, some type of toiletry, etc. Some have taken me up on the offer before, usually toothpaste or some type soap. Had one ask for a particular liquor he could not get on the ship. Happy to oblige and when they go to pay for their items I tell them don't worry about it.

This is not in lieu of a tip; it's just a nice gesture we do for crew that we know don't get time off very often to restock.

I have gifted room attendants unopened bottles of wine also on the last day.

I do not pack junk and hand it out like it's sunshine from heaven.

How did you keep the liquor from getting confiscated upon returning to the ship?

If someone gave me a football t-shirt, I'd throw it out. And I'm American. But I'd smile and thank them even though it's junk that'll be incinerated the next day.

Enough with "special gifts" for someone you'll only spend a week with. They work on ships to earn money for themselves and their families, not to collect unfamiliar sports memorabilia. Just give them extra cash and a hug!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Not saying anything else you want to do is wrong, but in my experience, beside the auto tips, or prepaid tips, cash, ie; extra cash to those you think deserve is like giving gold! lol, and will also often get you a hug!

My suggestions are money, comments to management, and edibles, such as coffee candy or a variety of little candies. If they don't want or like any of the candy, they can share it with other crew members. Skip the trinkets.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you give cash someone can buy their own t-shirts, earrings, candy and liquor. They do have days off when in port and can do their own shopping for stuff they really want. The best gift is a Thank You and a personal endorsement left on a survey or at the service desk.

Gifts are more about making the giver feel good and can often be misconstrued by the recipient to indicate how much the giver has in relation to what the receiver has. Personally I feel it is bit demeaning for a service employee to get "gifts".

I agree that it is demeaning to give goodies to adults you don't know who are doing work for you.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas so bringing gifts because it is your holiday is also making assumptions that are not necessarily appreciated.

IF we go to a land restaurant regularly and get to know the staff then maybe we'd give something but more than likely we'd just give more cash!!!

Do you get little gifts at work for doing your job every day or do you get a bonus at the end of the year??

I just aske our son,Mark, about the OP's question. IF he were to receive anything from a guest: He said he received some candy, and nice notes. When I toured crew quarters of the Elation in February, the hallway had glass enclosed bulletin boards, inside notes from guests praising crew members. Mark was mentioned in one. He was quite proud of that and had sent a photo to me via email!

So, in addition to cash ( if you want to do that), your written AttaBoy/AttaGirl really means a lot to the crew!

:) Bobbi

After I retired, I went to work at our school as a Maintenance/Custodian. On the last day before Christmas vacation, all of the teacher's wastebaskets were full of everything from plants to coffee cups to plaques. I ask one why they throw away the gifts. She said that after twenty years of teaching, if she kept everything that the kid's give her, she'd need a warehouse to keep all of them.

Imagine if each steward takes care of ten cabins and five of them give them a gift each week. That would be 260 gifts by years end. Where would they put them? Give them cash and let them get what they need.

Nothing. It's a floating hotel. Do you normally take gifts to hand out at land based resorts? It's getting ridiculous now. Gratuities, Service Charges, extra additional tips, now gifts. What next, a car a house maybe? Stop it.

You nailed it.We all work for tips, people seem to be trying to buy affection by giving away trinkets.

You nailed it.We all work for tips' date=' people seem to be trying to buy affection by giving away trinkets.[/quote']

I've never worked for tips but years ago I worked for peanuts.

OP, cash is the way to go so the crew can spend it on what they need and want most.

Adding to extra cash tips. We have left un-open wine in the cabin with a note, assuming it would get shared amongst the cabin stewards. We have left unopened waters behind, in hopes they get passed on to next cruisers in the cabin. Not every cruise, though. Whether they ultimately get tossed or recycled or used, we haven't a clue. We do toss out opened bottles though.

I like the one poster's suggestion of asking if anything is needed in by any crew member you're familiar with who is not going onshore. That could be a nice gesture if there was something. But most likely they've already asked a fellow crewmate to pick up whatever is needed. And remember they've been to and will be back to these ports so if it's something port specific, they'll have an opportunity to get it themselves.

Extra cash and positive comments. That is it. Nothing else.

Why would someone think a total stranger would want a sports jersey for a team they have never heard of and a sport they are possible unfamiliar with?

While some may think they have gotten close to crew members, odds are very much that they do not feel the same way. You are just this week's person they clean up behind, replaced next week by the next round of strangers.

to each his or her own if it make you happy do it

Now we get down to the nuts and bolts of the issue.

Giving a "gift" is not about the appreciation of service received. No, It's all about YOU and making YOU feel better.

I find it interesting that few people have mentioned buying/gifting bottles of alcohol to the staff.. :confused: Are they allowed to accept these type of gifts???

On other cruise lines (NCL, MSC, Costa) staff are not allowed to posses any alcohol in their cabins, leave alone receiving it as a gift from the guests! They are only allowed to drink in their crew bar, where the security can watch them. Their cabins are inspected regularly and if any alcohol is found, they are out of the ship in the next port.