Just Off the Grandeur of the Seas Aug 5-10 2017 Bermuda - Any Questions?

What night was formal night? Was there a lot of dress up? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Formal night was the second night of the cruise. At least on deck 4 of the dining room where we were seated, there were far more men with just dress shirts and no jackets than those with. I did not notice any women in evening gowns. Most had on nice dresses or nice blouses with pants or skirts.

We are doing the same for our 30th in September. I booked cabin 8088! Would you happen to have any pictures of your cabin?

Thanks for sharing

Laurie

Sorry Laurie, When we first boarded the Grandeur, I did a periscope of the room 8588 but I did not take any pictures. I am not sure if I can share the link here but if you use periscope my handle is @airdog - Reid Greene. There you will find my scope "Grandeur Aft Jr Suite".

Reid

Here is the entertainment offered during the cruise.

Day 1 - Welcome Aboard Show - "The Godfather of Boston Comedy - Don Gavin"

Day 2 - Headliner Show - Rookie (Toronto's premium Rock n Roll Cover Band)

Day 3 - "Seasons" floor show (Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers) Cancelled technical issues

Day 4 - "Broadway Rhythm and Rhyme" (Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers)

Day 5 - Farewell Show - "Starring the Hilarious Comedy of- Michele Balan"

Day 5 - "Seasons" floor show

Reid

Sorry Laurie, When we first boarded the Grandeur, I did a periscope of the room 8588 but I did not take any pictures. I am not sure if I can share the link here but if you use periscope my handle is @airdog - Reid Greene. There you will find my scope "Grandeur Aft Jr Suite".

Reid

Just checked it out! Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DW and I just returned from the 5 night (Aug 5-10) cruise aboard the Grandeur of the Seas to Bermuda. This was our first time cruising on the Grandeur. We were both a little worried about sailing on the smaller Vision-class ship but those worries were quickly replaced by excitement and pure respect for this vessel.

Here is what brought us to cruising on the Grandeur. During our September 2016 back to back Anthem of the Seas cruise, we booked a December 2017 - 12 night Southern Caribbean cruise and we quickly realized that we did not want to wait that long before our next sailing. So I had the bright idea (which happens only on very rare occasions) to say, “We have a 40th anniversary coming up in August, how about taking a short cruise out of Baltimore to celebrate?” This was met with instant agreement. The stars must have been aligned that day as I had a second bright idea. “Since we are celebrating our anniversary then how about upgrading from our usual balcony to an Aft Jr. Suite?” Be still my heart! Again, instant agreement. So there you have it. This Grandeur cruise was to tied us over until our December cruise, celebrate our 40th anniversary, and introduce us to AFT and Jr Suite living. Life is Good!

We live in Pittsburgh, the home of the Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Sorry, I just had to get that in here somewhere. So it’s an easy 3.5 hour drive to the Inner Harbor were we spent the night (Aug 4) at the Days Inn. It was a very short drive the next morning from the Inner Harbor to the Port of Baltimore.

We got to the port around 10:30. I really liked how they took our tagged luggage as we were proceeding to the parking lot. So once parked, all we had to carry to the terminal was our carryon bags. It took us all of 12 minutes to be processed and we were immediately instructed to board. WOW!

This is not a trip review but I will share my impressions of the ship and our experiences.

The ship is awesome! From most every venue you can see the ocean!

We loved the AFT Jr Suite stateroom 8588.

The crew is very friendly and engaging.

This was our first cruise as Diamond and we enjoyed the Diamond lounge which offered a great view and great service.

We ate in the main dining room 4 nights and the Windjammer 1 night. We enjoyed every meal. My wife has special dietary needs and they worked with her to prepare great dishes for her

For late night snackers like me, the Park Café is open until 2 am serving nachos, Panini’s, pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, mac and cheese (a couple nights), meat balls (a couple nights), sweets, and more. Loved it!

My only suggestion to RCI is to place a Coke free style machine near the Park Café. There are 5 free style machines on the Grandeur. Four are located in the Windjammer and one on desk 6 near the Centrum. The Windjammer closes at 9:00pm so there is only the deck 6 machine for the remainder of the evening. That ain’t right! - LOL

We had a very positive experience aboard the Grandeur and we will definitely sail on her in the future.

If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Sailed on her last year I know it's a bit late now but after hours there's a side door to windjammers to use the coke machine even though it was a small ship I found the crew and other passengers really friendly and the food was lovely the park cafe was responsible for a few extra pounds gained due to late night snacking

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Formal night was the second night of the cruise. At least on deck 4 of the dining room where we were seated, there were far more men with just dress shirts and no jackets than those with. I did not notice any women in evening gowns. Most had on nice dresses or nice blouses with pants or skirts.

Glad to hear that. I have been getting spoiled on Celebrity with no jacket or tie. Now I have to convince the boss! Because we drive to Baltimore she wants me to take the jacket, with no luggage issues like when we fly.

Hey we are sailing in 3 weeks a floor below you on 7156. we are also Diamond. we like to eat Breakfast in the Concierge lounge on the bigger ships when we have a suite.. where did you eat Breakfast?? was there anyplace for Diamond Members? thanks

I don't have a personal experience with having very strict dietary needs but I met a lovely couple on board this past July...the wife has Celiac disease. The waiter brought her the dinner menu every night for the following evening. She ordered her food in advance and they prepared the food according to her dietary needs. I'm not sure how they handled the first dinner or other meals.

Thanks so much for this, it's great to know they're on the ball with celiac. Crossing my fingers the first night will be stress-free :)

Hey we are sailing in 3 weeks a floor below you on 7156. we are also Diamond. we like to eat Breakfast in the Concierge lounge on the bigger ships when we have a suite.. where did you eat Breakfast?? was there anyplace for Diamond Members? thanks

Though breakfast food is my favorite food and when the opportunity presents itself, I eat it all times of the day, DW and I are not early risers. When on a cruise, breakfast for me is getting to the Windjammer by 11;00 and grabbing breakfast foods before they are swapped out for the lunchtime crowd - LOL.

We did however do the Bottomless Brunch and Galley tour where we were told that breakfast when offered in the main dining room has an entrance for Diamond cruisers. When approaching the Deck 4 dining room from the centrum, we were told that Diamonds should go through the doors on the right. I am not sure what this gets you. We never made breakfast in the MDR.

Thanks so much for this, it's great to know they're on the ball with celiac. Crossing my fingers the first night will be stress-free :)

CruiseMelissa,

Upon boarding the ship, proceed to the dining room where you are to be seated and one of the dining room managers should be available. Explain your dietary need and they will take care of you and they will also make your wait staff aware of your special need. Enjoy the cruise.

Reid

• 1 month later...

This is our first cruise with RCCL. There are 6 of us going on the Grandeur over Thanksgiving. We selected anytime dining figuring we could meet up and go to the MDR for for the evening meal. My sister talked to RCCL tonight and the told her that they only had tables for two and would not be able to be seated together. I have sailed on many cruise lines and have never seen this. I am hoping there is a misunderstanding. Unfortunately my sister and her husband signed up for late dining.

The Diamond Lounge (rear of South Pacific) has coffee, tea, and continental breakfast items each morning. I believe there is also an area of the dining room for Diamonds. That information will probably be in your cabin when you arrive.

Hello!

Thank you for posting this.....

1 - who were the entertainers in the Centrum area?

2 - are there small fridges in the large interior staterooms - deck 7? My friend is a diabetic and must have the insulin refridgerated, and I've heard there aren't any fridges anymore. :loudcry:

This is our first cruise with RCCL. There are 6 of us going on the Grandeur over Thanksgiving. We selected anytime dining figuring we could meet up and go to the MDR for for the evening meal. My sister talked to RCCL tonight and the told her that they only had tables for two and would not be able to be seated together. I have sailed on many cruise lines and have never seen this. I am hoping there is a misunderstanding. Unfortunately my sister and her husband signed up for late dining.

Hi! Just got off the Grandeur on the 21st of September and I can tell you that this is absolutely UNTRUE!!! There are a variety of table sizes,2-4- 6-8 -10 and 12! However, you can go into Cruise Planner, pick your preferred dining time, and add the reservation #'s of the couples that you wish to dine with, and then it's all linked together BEFORE you get on board> Then, all you have to do is go to the Dining Room on Sail Away and confirm your time (or change it) and then there is no worrying about being seated together. The staff is very pleasant and easy-to-deal with!

Enjoy your cruise! You will love RCCL ! - Miriam (21 cruises and 3 more on my horizon!)

Have your friend contact special_needs@rccl.com and request a medical refrigerator.

thank you! I have shared that information.... personally, I like having the mini-fridge, because I'll buy a few chocolate bars while in port, and store them there - and I may also get a white wine, and store it there - and even for the 2 bottles we bring on board.

Bummer that so many "little things" are being cut back for cost savings.

thank you! I have shared that information.... personally, I like having the mini-fridge, because I'll buy a few chocolate bars while in port, and store them there - and I may also get a white wine, and store it there - and even for the 2 bottles we bring on board.

Bummer that so many "little things" are being cut back for cost savings.

I don't believe Royal has removed refrigerators from staterooms. However, some of the older ships never had referigerators in some of the lower category staterooms.

Hello!

Thank you for posting this.....

1 - who were the entertainers in the Centrum area?

2 - are there small fridges in the large interior staterooms - deck 7? My friend is a diabetic and must have the insulin refridgerated, and I've heard there aren't any fridges anymore. :loudcry:

I have no idea if this applies to your friend's medication, but my insulin will keep outside a fridge for two weeks. Just FYI....

Just want to say THANK YOU! That contact information worked and we're all set for our trip in 9 days.....

I'm glad I read cruise critic a lot....:D

You're welcome and I'm glad it worked out.

• 3 months later...
Sailed on her last year I know it's a bit late now but after hours there's a side door to windjammers to use the coke machine even though it was a small ship I found the crew and other passengers really friendly and the food was lovely the park cafe was responsible for a few extra pounds gained due to late night snacking

I haven't been able to find the Park Cafe on the deck plans. Can you tell me where it is located on the ship? Thanks.