Sydney answer by year end

5 minutes ago, mr walker said:

All that may be true, may be false, maybe partly true/false. There have been good developments and bad ones too. But the reality is that there are no votes in cruise terminals, and as such there is no appetite for pollies to make decisions on cruise terminals.

Glad utopia exists in Brisbane.

And so glad political corruption avoided Queensland, ooops, forgot.

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Recent mention of fast train in the media? Newcastle-Squidley 45 minutes? There must been an election in the wind.

Except, ironically, the same government recently destroyed the Newcastle terminus.

So do they actually mean Broadmeadow to Sydney? Or do they suggest building it all over again. (Hey, they did it at Darling Harbour, want to do it for stadiums, so why not waste some more?)

Though as if that's ever going to happen...

1 minute ago, The_Big_M said:

Except, ironically, the same government recently destroyed the Newcastle terminus.

So do they actually mean Broadmeadow to Sydney? Or do they suggest building it all over again. (Hey, they did it at Darling Harbour, want to do it for stadiums, so why not waste some more?)

No Idea if they mean Broadmeadow or the new interchange at Wickham

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

And so glad political corruption avoided Queensland, ooops, forgot.

Sins of the past. They're getting it done now.

Whereas NSW has amped up our corruption stakes the past few years - 14 members from the previous LNP government left under such circumstances as I recall. NSW may have even had a decent government many decades ago.

5 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

They didn’t destroy the old station, just ripped the line out.

Edited by GUT2407

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Recent mention of fast train in the media? Newcastle-Squidley 45 minutes? There must been an election in the wind.

Yeah, 4 fast trains,

Canberra to Sydney, Port Macquarie to Sydney, Nowra to Sydney and Bathurst to Sydney.

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yeah, 4 fast trains,

Canberra to Sydney, Port Macquarie to Sydney, Nowra to Sydney and Bathurst to Sydney.

Better yet, Melbourne to Brisbane, stopping Canberra Sydney Newcastle Coffs

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

hMMM, they could bypass the main central area of Newie and go through closer to Charlestown

I think they’re more likely t9 go West of the Lake, pretty much follow the current line

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

Doh! You had to go and say it didn't you, sire :classic_smile: I can hear glass shattering from transparent houses in Brisbane from here.

I didn't say that there wasn't corruption in Queensland, only that the corruption in Sydney has gotten in the way of a proper cruise terminal.:classic_wink:

Also that unlike the NSW government, the Queensland government can see the value of a decent cruise terminal and deliver one.

5 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I didn't say that there wasn't corruption in Queensland, only that the corruption in Sydney has gotten in the way of a proper cruise terminal.:classic_wink:

Also that unlike the NSW government, the Queensland government can see the value of a decent cruise terminal and deliver one.

It helps that there was undeveloped land available in a good location as well.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That was not what they announced.

I know, mainly because currently it’s State Govt only that’s involved, my suggestion was what I think would be better, but it would need multi govt cooperation

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I know, mainly because currently it’s State Govt only that’s involved, my suggestion was what I think would be better, but it would need multi govt cooperation

We have know what would be best for over 50 years, a Very Fast Train from Melbourne to Brisbane with a few stops like Wangaratta, Albury, Yass, Goulburn, Mittagong, Sydney (but not Central more like Cambelltown and Hornsby), Wyong, Newcastle (outskirts), Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Byron/Ballina,  Coolangatta and Brisbane.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have know what would be best for over 50 years, a Very Fast Train from Melbourne to Brisbane with a few stops like Wangaratta, Albury, Yass, Goulburn, Mittagong, Sydney (but not Central more like Cambelltown and Hornsby), Wyong, Newcastle (outskirts), Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Byron/Ballina,  Coolangatta and Brisbane.

Not sure why you call that "best" as the economics of that service won't stack up.

The limited number of fast train travellers from only the outskirts of Sydney and Newcastle aren't going to pay their way. And getting a fast train to just the outskirts and then having to spend another hour on some form of slow, crowded connecting service to wherever they want to go will turn off everyone else in those cities. They'll say if I'm going to connect I may as well do it quicker.

And it won't be viable for the distance of Brisbane to Melbourne either, since the main intermediate stops are effectively ignored. Even as a fast train, that lengthy trip would still be soundly beaten by air travel. Such a route would just be a political handout. i.e. passengers on that route won't pay a premium because it's fast.

Edited by The_Big_M

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, MicCanberra said:

Yeah, 4 fast trains,

Sorry all - been holding my breath waiting for that announcement for the new Sydney cruise terminal and didn't realise there was a rail project happening.  Is this the fast train, very fast train, tilt train, ski tube, tram, light rail, scalextric or monorail?

Like successive (not successful) Governments, I am very hypoxic! :classic_blush:

6 hours ago, banzaii said:

Sorry all - been holding my breath waiting for that announcement for the new Sydney cruise terminal and didn't realise there was a rail project happening.  Is this the fast train, very fast train, tilt train, ski tube, tram, light rail, scalextric or monorail?

Like successive (not successful) Governments, I am very hypoxic! :classic_blush:

You can’t be real well if you were holding your breathe for this one.