Buffet line etiquette?

Saw a passenger take a bun with her hands and put it on her plate.

I'm sure I contributed to this thread in the past year, but this reminded me of my 2014 trip on Jewel and I'm about to go on Jewel again. This lady in front of me picked up 15 hot dog buns, one at a time, examined them, and put them back on the bin. I wanted to follow her and ask her how the winning bun was picked, but I let it slide.

The crew can be just as bad as passengers, so I often think having the crew serving at outbreak times does any good.

I am thinking of taking a first time cruise on a RCCL ship. :)

Is it improper and poor etiquette for one to use a napkin, or disposable glove to pick up the serving utensils?

LOL- if it is, then I have poor etiquette EVERY TIME I'm at ANY buffet :) I always use a napkin when handling the shared utensils...

Thank you. That’s comforting to know. And not to worry so much about those kind of PAXs that nibble on their food while going down the buffet line. I forgot it was that way when I was serving time in prison.

I think it’s rude and impolite to nibble in the buffet line. Just trying to understand how it is likely to containment your food as long as they don’t put the nibbles back into the serving food.

You think that someone who nibbles is likely to have washed their hands or worried about general cleanliness? So either way, they are touching the utensils.

It’s a disgusting practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My friend told me that cruising is not for them but he loves yachting. There is a world out there I didn’t know until I was invited.

That’s when I found where the upper class is going on vacation, they don’t really care if they are gold or platinum lol

My friend told me that cruising is not for them but he loves yachting. There is a world out there I didn’t know until I was invited.

That’s when I found where the upper class is going on vacation, they don’t really care if they are gold or platinum lol

You need to start watching "Below Deck" on Bravo TV.

Hey, we're not all hopeless at queuing. The British are really good at it. :D

I think where British lead the world, or is it stand behind them, is queuing. Most nationalities will find out what the queue is for before joining it, thus losing their place. A local, well known clothing store near where I live regularly has huge queues of people queuing up to try clothes on in the changing rooms. They always form one giant line with 90% women and 10% men. A member of staff has to be employed to direct the men to come forward to the front as there are separate men and women's changing facilities.

Some people in buffets get a bit miffed at people who overtake them. Island counters are much better than a linear single counter. Why do you need to queue behind people waiting for roast dinners when you do not want one and just want to access the counter area beyond them where the spotted dicks are?

Regards John

I always use the tongs, licking them clean before putting them back so they are ready for the next person

You're my new favorite

Sometimes his sense of humor really shines through. :) Of course, then there are the other times....:eek::D

I think where British lead the world, or is it stand behind them, is queuing. Most nationalities will find out what the queue is for before joining it, thus losing their place. A local, well known clothing store near where I live regularly has huge queues of people queuing up to try clothes on in the changing rooms. They always form one giant line with 90% women and 10% men. A member of staff has to be employed to direct the men to come forward to the front as there are separate men and women's changing facilities.

Some people in buffets get a bit miffed at people who overtake them. Island counters are much better than a linear single counter. Why do you need to queue behind people waiting for roast dinners when you do not want one and just want to access the counter area beyond them where the spotted dicks are?

Regards John

john watson,

What are spotted dicks? Is that a Brit thing?

What are spotted dicks? Is that a Brit thing?

These are a British dish, a type of pudding. A sausage shaped suet pudding cooked in a muslin cloth, tied at both ends with raisins in it creating the spots. Dick comes from the Royal Navy being the term for a substantial pudding served as a sweet.

We have few renowned dishes known internationally but a few with ridiculous names, toad in the hole, baby's head, queen of puddings, bread and butter pudding, Welsh rarebit, Cullen skink to name a few we hardly see them on ships.

Regards John

If the British are so good at queing, I want to see how they handle, being in a long line at Disneyworld, waiting patiently while a group of 50 Brazilians belonging to a tour group push their way, through the exits to jump ahead. GD&R

Oh, speaking of etiquette and not sanitary related. I was on Jewel in 2014 I think it was. We frequently cruise around this time of year and really fresh fruit is not common on buffets north of the Mason-Dixon line this time of year. I eat more fruit on an April/May cruise that I do the rest of the year. I saw a crew member bring out a new plate of watermelon slices that looked really great. I got up and walked over to it, but before I got there, a lady picked up the entire plate/try and took it back to her table.

If the British are so good at queing, I want to see how they handle, being in a long line at Disneyworld, waiting patiently while a group of 50 Brazilians belonging to a tour group push their way, through the exits to jump ahead. GD&R

This "waiting patiently" is a totally false assumption and overlooks completely the point of forming a long queue. One has to go through the process of talking to others in the queue, who we have not been introduced to. This is a rare appropriate time to chat to people we do not actually know in a public place. The weather is the first topic and moaning is the theme. The weather is always wet in the UK but in Disneyland it is likely to be hot. Not a nice hot, but a hot, hot which we do not like either. The next topic is always the length of the queue. Whilst most people would understand this to be a continuation of moaning, we are asserting our stoic nature of being able to endure the wait. Finally the moaning criticises the managements poor organisation for running a system which involves long queues and long waits. Then the British men will point out how they would organise things in a far better way as the current system is very poor in fact a completely rubbish way of doing it. The officials from the management company come along and ask if everyone is happy and contented. The British people all confirm that everything is fine and they are all very happy. That's how it is and why finding out what the queue is for beforehand is completely unneccesary.

Regards John

This "waiting patiently" is a totally false assumption and overlooks completely the point of forming a long queue. One has to go through the process of talking to others in the queue, who we have not been introduced to. This is a rare appropriate time to chat to people we do not actually know in a public place. The weather is the first topic and moaning is the theme. The weather is always wet in the UK but in Disneyland it is likely to be hot. Not a nice hot, but a hot, hot which we do not like either. The next topic is always the length of the queue. Whilst most people would understand this to be a continuation of moaning, we are asserting our stoic nature of being able to endure the wait. Finally the moaning criticises the managements poor organisation for running a system which involves long queues and long waits. Then the British men will point out how they would organise things in a far better way as the current system is very poor in fact a completely rubbish way of doing it. The officials from the management company come along and ask if everyone is happy and contented. The British people all confirm that everything is fine and they are all very happy. That's how it is and why finding out what the queue is for beforehand is completely unneccesary.

Regards John

I think it is much easier to be Italian.

Regards John

Oh, how I enjoyed reading this post! :)

I am English, and we queuing, I would say world leaders !

If we are a queue, we will join it, chat and in the following minutes find out what we a queuing for !

We are renowned for queuing, it's what the English do.

I spent several years running a European haulage company, and lived in Ostend, Belgium for a couple of years.

I was untrustworthy the Belgians, and most European can comprehend the queuing system, how it works,and the good manners that make it more fair, and polite system.

For years, I would go into a bank, shop, entertainment venue, anywhere the where other people, and see all assistants were busy, so extending the middle to see who bracketed first, sometimes stood a few minutes waiting.

Then other Europeans would come in after me, so me waiting, but soon as someone became free, they would SPRINT to the front !

Before i, who had been there the longest, but also before other Europeans, that had walked in after them.

In the end it became humorous to me !

When family ,friend's, colleagues, came over, I would take them to see it.

At first they were as horrified as I had been, but when I explained it, they laughed like I did.

I

Me saying Europeans (not British) is a generalisation, but every day for yeats, French, German,Belgian,Swiss,Spanish Austrian did unusually my time there.

I thought it disgusting, and not very civilized at all !

But each to there own !

It's also very funny that is British will queue because there is one !

Sent from my KFGIWI using Forums mobile app

What are you trying to say? Sorry, I cannot understand you. Maybe, I got lost in translation.:confused::confused:. Is it me, or you’re writing English, “Brit” style.?

Hope you have a great cruise :)!

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Sorry everyone,I was trying to write it in a rush in glaring bright sunlight, and guess what, that 'flipping' spell-check made a mockery of my post, will try to correct it.

I have been reading this thread, and noticing the comments about queuing.

I am English, and we love queuing, I would say we are world leaders !

If we see a queue, we will join it, chat, and in the following minutes find out what we a queuing for !

We are renowned for queuing, it's what the English do.

I spent several years running a European haulage company, and lived in Ostend, Belgium for a couple of years.

I came to understand the Belgians, and most Europeans can not comprehend the queuing system, how it works, and the good manners that make it more fair, and polite system.

For years, I would go into a bank, shop, entertainment venue, anywhere that served people, and see all assistants were busy, so i would wait in the middle to see who became free first, sometimes stood a few minutes waiting.

Then other Europeans would come in after me, see me waiting, but soon as someone became free, they would SPRINT to the counter, or the front !

So I was there first, had been there the longest, but also before other arrived, then more, that had walked in after them.

Most places don't even have walkways, barriers, organisational systems to cope with more than 1 person.

In the end it became humorous to me !

When family ,friend's, colleagues, came over, I would take them to see it.

At first they were as horrified as I had been, but when I explained it, they laughed like I did.

Me saying Europeans (not British) is a generalisation, but every day for years, i saw French, German, Belgian, Swiss, Spanish, Austrian, in several different countries, all behave in this way.

It doesn't matter what order you came in, or even who may be elderly, mobility difficulties, whatever.

Their way is, who ever can get to the front, get attention, or be served first, wins !

They are not questioned, or looked upon badly, or as unfavourable. It is almost as if everything is a competition, and if you lose, then you try to win next time !

It is the culture !

I thought it disgusting, and not very civilised at all !

But each to there own !

Whats also very funny, is that the British will queue, because there is a queue to join

Got it! I understand.

Thank you.

BTW, have you ever tried queuing in Asia? Forget it. The Chinese are the worst. They don’t queue for anything. Even in the cruise buffet line. It’s like a free-for-all. Just my observation. ;)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Got it! I understand.

Thank you.

BTW, have you ever tried queuing in Asia? Forget it. The Chinese are the worst. They don’t queue for anything. Even in the cruise buffet line. It’s like a free-for-all. Just my observation. ;)

You don't have to go to Asia. That is exactly how they behave here in the States too.