Tall peeps in Princess beds

Murphey

My nephew is 6'9". He would to take a cruise on princess and he wants to know if he will fit on the beds. He already knows he will probably have to sleep crosswise. Wife wonders if they'll be room for her!! I suggested a twin set up. Experiences??

My nephew is 6'9". He would to take a cruise on princess and he wants to know if he will fit on the beds. He already knows he will probably have to sleep crosswise. Wife wonders if they'll be room for her!! I suggested a twin set up. Experiences??

The beds when pushed together are essentially a "queen". If he wants to do a trial run, tell him to stay in hotel or ask a friend who has a queen if he & DW can use it for 10 minutes to see how they fit.

It will be tight. DH is 6'1" and we have a queen. He fits, but just barely.

BTW: I think they may have extensions for the beds. Not 100% sure, but I've seen some really tall dudes on some of our cruises. One happy cruiser came close to bumping his head on the doors leading into the MDR.

If we assume the beds are standard twins, they are 38"x75" then pushed together they are 76"x75." A king is 76"x80." So it has the length of a king, but not the width.

DH's BF is 6'11", has the room made into a king and takes the whole bed to himself. That works for him, but it is basically how he sleeps at home; diagonally, he has never complained about the loss of the 5" on the foot of the bed.

My guess he is your nephew needs to train himself to be a side sleeper and keep those legs bent!

Here is what my friend says about her DH

He is 6’5”. His heels are as far as you can get at the bottom end of the bed without going off it and his head is almost touching the headboard

they have the beds pushed together into the queen

I guess 1 should at least be comfortable. Your nephew can adjust with the bed. I agree with your suggestion for a twin set-up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They do have bed extenders. I was offered one on a twin bed. I used it for one night. Problem being it stuck out so far that it was a pain walking around it. If you get up a lot at night it might be dangerous. :) You would have to try it to see if you like it. I'm 6 ft 8 and sleep on a twin. I manage. I do bang into the wall a lot.

While I am not 6' 11", I once was listed as such on a BB roster. The bed length is not the problem on a cruise ship, as tall people deal with that throughout their lives. The problem relate more to the height of halls, doors, tenders, chairs, showers, etc.

I am 6'8" and my feet do hang over the end especially when I lay on my stomach. As cruise beds are like sleeping in a hot dog bun when the beds are older, sleeping sideways is not always an option. I almost pull the sheets out from under the mattress so they can cover my shoulder. Over the years, I have learned to sleep on my side more when cruising. With the newer beds, some of the hot dog bun problems have gone away. the whole fleet is being fitted with new beds starting with the Club Class Mini Suites. If the room he is in does not have the new bed, have him ask for the boards they put under the mattress along with the egg crate foam on top. The boards will flatten the bed but make it firmer. The eggcrate will soften the mattress. Between these two, he should be able to lay diagonal easier. My wife who is 5'5" doesn't mind the diagonal as she doesn't mind being held or touched while sleeping.

Another option we use if we are driving to and from the port is to bring a memory foam mattress with us and having the room steward add it to the bed. We actually brought the mattress with us for a 30 night cruise from Sydney to LA in 2009. Even without the board and egg crate, we have noticed the newer beds from 3 to 4 years ago are much better than the previous ones.

Any other questions, just ask or email.

John

While I am not 6' 11", I once was listed as such on a BB roster. The bed length is not the problem on a cruise ship, as tall people deal with that throughout their lives. The problem relate more to the height of halls, doors, tenders, chairs, showers, etc.

You left out the most dangerous one of all. Unless you were up there looking you would have missed the sprinkler heads. about 3 to 5 years ago they replace the ones with the razor blades on them for the ones with a rounded tip.

They do have bed extenders. I was offered one on a twin bed. I used it for one night. Problem being it stuck out so far that it was a pain walking around it. If you get up a lot at night it might be dangerous. :) You would have to try it to see if you like it. I'm 6 ft 8 and sleep on a twin. I manage. I do bang into the wall a lot.

WOW! Never knew bed extenders were available on Princess. Can they be used when the twins are made into a queen? :confused:

While we don't need it, we have a "cruise pal" who played pro football who is really very tall & big.

I'm tall and my family is taller - some right up to the 7' mark. Don't worry - tall people get used to things being smaller. No one in my family have ever let things like beds be a problem or we would never go anywhere.

I'm tall and my family is taller - some right up to the 7' mark. Don't worry - tall people get used to things being smaller. No one in my family have ever let things like beds be a problem or we would never go anywhere.

When you are tall you have to duck., when you are short, you have to get a ladder!

WOW! Never knew bed extenders were available on Princess. Can they be used when the twins are made into a queen? :confused:

While we don't need it, we have a "cruise pal" who played pro football who is really very tall & big.

I have never asked but I would think that if they can do it for one twin they could do it for both twins they put together to make the queen size.

I love it this is the best answer of them all :) :) :). What's up Doc??

Tony

Just keeping Elmer off my tail!

I get tired of the weather questions.

My response now days to "How tall are you?" Is as I lean over and look at their feet "How short are you? Are you standing in a hole?".