I know buying jewelry on board / in port is considered a bad idea, but ...

Jewelry like clothing has a huge mark up, which means lots of room to bargain.

The only "expensive" item I have ever found (+35 cruises) that was worth buying was a camera lens in St Thomas. I knew exact what the US price was and found the exact same lens for about 75%.

I had priced an emerald for DW once and found it was much more in Aruba.

Price what you want before you go and then compare.

Best prices I've seen for Eco-Drive were on Amazon.

I don't know if this is still the case, but my husband over the years purchased 2 Citizen Eco drives off the ship. Better price than the ports, or at home. (Or online) [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know if this is still the case' date=' but my husband over the years purchased 2 Citizen Eco drives off the ship. Better price than the ports, or at home. (Or online) [emoji846']

I guess I was out of luck because I never saw the one I was looking for on the ship.

If you go shopping, and are looking, offer 5% of the asking price, and watch the reaction. If they act insulted, than you have a winner and a starting point. Do not go over 25% of the asking price, and walk away. Act like you know what you are talking about.

Jewelry is one of the highest mark up items they will try to sell you in port.

You must not buy much if anything intending to pay 25% of asking price. Not saying it can't happen, but rare

What about on the lower end of cost scale, in the low hundreds? Is it all still basically a scam at best, a risk at worst?

I don't know much about jewelry (and yes, this is a terrible starting position, which is why I'm asking), but I'm in the market for some costume jewelry (rings, specifically) and I'll be on the Oasis and in Cozumel next month, which seemed like a good opportunity to browse. I've been staring at Amazon all night and realized I'd rather see the stuff in person.

Please don't wind up to yell, I'm already leaning towards the assumption it's a bad idea, I just haven't seen too many threads about it besides somewhat dramatic "I got ripped off by Diamonds Intl/Effy/etc", and stories usually involving multiple thousands of dollars.

Cozumel is the place you'll find silver. I wouldn't look for much else there. On the ship you'll find an assortment. Most of it over priced. When we see something that is special and unique, something we have never seen before, we might buy it even though it might not be an incredible deal. Usually St Thomas is where we shop for more expensive jewelry

I don't know if this is still the case' date=' but my husband over the years purchased 2 Citizen Eco drives off the ship. Better price than the ports, or at home. (Or online) [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am confused, was the pricing better on the ship or in the ports? Why buy off the ship if it had better pricing than the ports? I have found much better pricing off of the ship and have made watch purchases on St. Maarten though I have found equally good pricing on St. Thomas.

If you like sterling silver I will add that my silver costume jewelry from Mexico may be a souvineer and bring fond memories but my silver costume jewelry from TJ Maxx is half the price and never tarnishes. Now I purchase silver locally before a cruise, enjoy it on the cruise & it still becomes my souvineer and fond memory of the cruise while my Mexican silver remains tarnished in my jewelry box. My favorite fine jewelry is St Thomas (USVI).

If you're looking for costume jewelry, go for it. The prices are decent, and your risk is minimal. For real jewelry, be very careful, and remember, they are vendors, not actually a part of RCCL. If you have a problem, you will have to deal with them.

Completely agree with this! I've bought cheap stuff ($30 and under) a few times, and basically I got what I paid for... It looks ok for a while, might break, and probably is always fake (even when the vendor insists it isn't). I have very little regrets on what I've bought, other than sometimes realizing that it isn't something that I really like or would ever use (I have way too many ankle bracelets and gaudy necklaces that I've only worn once :))

If you go shopping, and are looking, offer 5% of the asking price, and watch the reaction. If they act insulted, than you have a winner and a starting point. Do not go over 25% of the asking price, and walk away. Act like you know what you are talking about.

Jewelry is one of the highest mark up items they will try to sell you in port.

I buy the cheap stuff (under $30 oop), and usually start at 50% of what they are asking... Example, $20 bracelet, I say $10. And, actually, now that I think about it... I never pay above that. If they won't take half, I leave...

I don't know if this is still the case' date=' but my husband over the years purchased 2 Citizen Eco drives off the ship. Better price than the ports, or at home. (Or online) [emoji846']

I, too have purchased Eco-Drives on ship. Both have malfunctioned and stopped working. The other 2 purchased in US still working. It's tempting on board with the displays, selection and prices, but I just have to resist.

I will never buy another Eco drive again. I bought in Cozumel, was happy with the price. Ran for less then a year. Have had it in three times to a jeweler to send back to the company as its still under warranty. Works for a few days literally then stops. I don't think I got scammed in Mexico I think those watches just have a lot of issues. Because I bought it in Mexico I can't insist I get a replacement.

I may buy another while cruising again but it won't be an eco drive.

I have learned that they are VERY willing to bargain in Cozumel. The first time I discovered this, it was an accident. I wasn't currently in the market to purchase the blue topaz jewelry I wanted, and was just window shopping. A necklace I looked at was priced over $400 USD. He kept telling me to make him an offer, and I kept saying I could not make him an offer that wasn't an insult. By the time I walked out of the store, he had offered me the necklace for the $50 USD I had in my pocket. The next time I got to Cozumel, I bought both a necklace and a pair of earrings to match. They were in two different stores. Combined, the merchants were asking over $750 USD. I got them both for $140 USD. Are they valuable? I haven't had them appraised, and don't really care. I bought them because I love them. Just don't be afraid to walk away. When you do, the price magically comes down.

I will never buy another Eco drive again. I bought in Cozumel, was happy with the price. Ran for less then a year. Have had it in three times to a jeweler to send back to the company as its still under warranty. Works for a few days literally then stops. I don't think I got scammed in Mexico I think those watches just have a lot of issues. Because I bought it in Mexico I can't insist I get a replacement.

I may buy another while cruising again but it won't be an eco drive.

I have two eco-drives that are over 6 years old and never a problem with them. I also have never read any articles mentioning issues with the technology.

If you are a US Resident then St Thomas is the best place to make a large purchase as it has the highest customs allowances in the Caribbean.

Every place on earth has people that were upset about an experience they had making a purchase, and with the internet we get to see them all. I for one have never had a bad experience at Diamonds International and have bought both jewelry and watches from them. As long as you know what you're buying and are comfortable with the price then go for it and enjoy it!

I get a piece almost every trip. I have a gorgeous silver and some kind of stone that I can't remember what its called ( its blue and purple) dragon fly necklace. Several different bracelets and a few rings. My husband usually buys it when we're in Mexico. I've had all of it for several years and have had no issues. He got it for a price he could live with. As for me ... I'm not turning down a new piece of jewelry 😉

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

If you are a US Resident then St Thomas is the best place to make a large purchase as it has the highest customs allowances in the Caribbean.

Every place on earth has people that were upset about an experience they had making a purchase, and with the internet we get to see them all. I for one have never had a bad experience at Diamonds International and have bought both jewelry and watches from them. As long as you know what you're buying and are comfortable with the price then go for it and enjoy it!

I've been assuming that DI is catering to the high-rollers scoping out real diamonds (and priced accordingly). I'm not sure I'm in their price range?

I've been assuming that DI is catering to the high-rollers scoping out real diamonds (and priced accordingly). I'm not sure I'm in their price range?

They have a wide range. I'm certainly not in the high end market. It's my experience that if you tell them your price point and what you're looking for they are always helpful. I've never felt pressured to buy anything or felt lied to. But I mean come on they are sales people so of course they are going to try and get you to buy something but they have never been anything but professional.