Galveston weather concerns

For now. During katrina, the hotels here wound up cancelling standing reservations because the displaced people living in the hotels came to take precedent.

Same thing in Florida after pretty much any hurricane.

Well now you know here in Texas we house people in convention centers. Schools & Churches.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not everyone will go to those. Many who had the financial means and foresight went to hotels inland in advance of the storms. You can bet your paycheck on that.

Not everyone will go to those. Many who had the financial means and foresight went to hotels inland in advance of the storms. You can bet your paycheck on that.

That's the point it's not suppose to be a vacation.

Amidst all the talk about insurance and what it would or would not cover, I was curious so I dug through the details of the package I usually purchase to see how it could have helped me if I had been booked on the Sunday Liberty of the Seas departure. It seems to pretty readily fall unter a variety of categories, between traveling to the cruise ship or the cruise line itself:

MISSED CONNECTION

If You miss Your Trip departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, due to:

a) any delay of a Common Carrier;

b) documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure for Your Trip;

c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot.

We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for:

1) Your Additional Transportation Cost to join the departed Trip; and

2) Your prepaid expenses for the unused land or water Travel Arrangements.

TRIP DELAY

If You are delayed for 6 hours or more while en route to, during or returning from Your Trip due to a covered Travel

Hazard, We will reimburse You up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for the expenses

You incur for additional hotel nights, meals and local transportation while You are delayed.

For the purposes of this benefit:

“Travel Hazard” means delay caused by or resulting from:

a) any delay of Your Common Carrier;

b) a traffic accident in which You or Your Traveling Companion are directly involved while en route to departure (must be

substantiated by a police report);

c) Your or Your Traveling Companion’s lost or stolen passports, travel documents or money (must be substantiated by a

police report);

d) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot;

e) a road closure (substantiated by the department of transportation, state police, etc.) due to severe storms preventing

You from getting to the point of departure for Your Trip;

f) Your Sickness or Injury or the Sickness, Injury or death of Your Traveling Companion or Family Member traveling with

You.

Trip Delay Benefits will not be paid for: 1) any expenses which have been reimbursed, or 2) for any services that have

been provided, by a Common Carrier or travel services provider.

(The above is from a RoamRight Preferred contract).

For those who were in the area, their local conditions would have easily met the requirements. It's not so clear from the language about how the local port-of-departure conditions may come into play for someone traveling from elsewhere to the port, but I would be surprised if it didn't.

It would probably be useful if the insurance companies could clarify this issue somewhat better, maybe using the specific case here as an example.

Well now you know here in Texas we house people in convention centers. Schools & Churches.

Same here. They try to get people out of the convention centers and into hotels for long term issues. Centers, churches and schools will cease to be shelters soon because it is inhumane to house people there long term.

Now this is the problem Royal needs to deal with. So sorry for your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have the heart of a lion and the fight of a tiger to have survived and dealt with real life situations. vacations are suppose to be fun and a time to relax and enjoy life and family. I am so very sorry that you are having to deal with this and fully believe you need to let you story be heard. I am a loyal Royal, but the mishandling of this situation is inexcusable. The public needs to know , the stockholders need to know so that hoe fully this will never be allowed to happen again. Many prayers for you, your family and a safe and speedy trip home.

Unfortunately we have rain in the forecast for Houston until Thursday and then starting again on Sunday. With the need to release more water from the Addicks and Barker reservoirs, it's going to add more water to Buffalo Bayou. Thankfully, water levels are decreasing in a lot of areas. US59 near me was completely underwater on Sunday. Now it appears to have drained. Once the Brazos River crests, it will get back in Richmond and Rosenberg.

He is this afternoons photosff6bed0ff80ee9eb7692c0b3019709ec.jpgf7119b03a444927e8b9454fe4b3203c2.jpg2df3a8940a5ccdd56733cd60d48e1d6e.jpg

Amidst all the talk about insurance and what it would or would not cover, I was curious so I dug through the details of the package I usually purchase to see how it could have helped me if I had been booked on the Sunday Liberty of the Seas departure.

MISSED CONNECTION

If You miss Your Trip departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, due to:

a) any delay of a Common Carrier;

b) documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure for Your Trip;

c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot.

We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for:

1) Your Additional Transportation Cost to join the departed Trip; and

2) Your prepaid expenses for the unused land or water Travel Arrangements.

TRIP DELAY

If You are delayed for 6 hours or more while en route to, during or returning from Your Trip due to a covered Travel

Hazard, We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for the expenses

You incur for additional hotel nights, meals and local transportation while You are delayed.

For the purposes of this benefit:

“Travel Hazard” means delay caused by or resulting from:

a) any delay of Your Common Carrier;

b) a traffic accident in which You or Your Traveling Companion are directly involved while en route to departure (must be

substantiated by a police report);

c) Your or Your Traveling Companion’s lost or stolen passports, travel documents or money (must be substantiated by a

police report);

d) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot;

e) a road closure (substantiated by the department of transportation, state police, etc.) due to severe storms preventing

You from getting to the point of departure for Your Trip;

f) Your Sickness or Injury or the Sickness, Injury or death of Your Traveling Companion or Family Member traveling with

You.

Trip Delay Benefits will not be paid for: 1) any expenses which have been reimbursed, or 2) for any services that have

been provided, by a Common Carrier or travel services provider.

(The above is from a RoamRight Preferred contract).

For those who were in the area, their local conditions would have easily met the requirements. It's not so clear from the language about how the local port-of-departure conditions may come into play for someone traveling from elsewhere to the port, but I would be surprised if it didn't.

It would probably be useful if the insurance companies could clarify this issue somewhat better, maybe using the specific case here as an example.

Key words buried in all the verbiage are highlighted in red. Maximum in the Roam Right Preferred policy for Missed Connection is $500. Trip Delay maximum is $200/day up to a total of $1000 (five days). These two coverages do not include the full cost of the trip and probably would not cover just the additional airfare or hotel costs incurred, much less have any left over to pay for missed cruise days.

You have the heart of a lion and the fight of a tiger to have survived and dealt with real life situations. vacations are suppose to be fun and a time to relax and enjoy life and family. I am so very sorry that you are having to deal with this and fully believe you need to let you story be heard. I am a loyal Royal, but the mishandling of this situation is inexcusable. The public needs to know , the stockholders need to know so that hoe fully this will never be allowed to happen again. Many prayers for you, your family and a safe and speedy trip home.

I'm not, not me, but others.

Key words buried in all the verbiage are highlighted in red. Maximum in the Roam Right Preferred policy for Missed Connection is $500. Trip Delay maximum is $200/day up to a total of $1000 (five days). These two coverages do not include the full cost of the trip and probably would not cover just the additional airfare or hotel costs incurred, much less have any left over to pay for missed cruise days.

Those limits are specific to that policy. Other policies are more generous. Some are less generous. That is why you need to read YOUR policy (not his policy).

I think this is directed at me from my post about my situation. If so, thank you <3 I feel horrible complaining about how we have been treated by RC when such devastation is happening. But RC should not be allowed to get away with how they are handling this situation. They could not stop the storm, nor can they save people's houses, but they CAN make this situation right between their company and their current and future guests/passengers.

I think this is directed at me from my post about my situation. If so, thank you <3 I feel horrible complaining about how we have been treated by RC when such devastation is happening. But RC should not be allowed to get away with how they are handling this situation. They could not stop the storm, nor can they save people's houses, but they CAN make this situation right between their company and their current and future guests/passengers.

You should not feel terrible. That other people are suffering worse does not lessen what you are going through. If that were the case then the people in Houston can't complain because people in Venezuela have it worse. The people in Venezuela can't complain because the people in Syria have it worse...

The storm moved farther east and Houston isn't getting the rain that was predicted. It was supposed to rain until Thursday. Now it looks like it is done or at least done with huge amounts of rain. That is really good news.

The Mayor of Houston has said that IAH and HOU are operational, but not to commercial flights. (I do not know what it will take for commercial flights to operate.)

The FAA is working with the airlines. United and Southwest have been allowed to operate humanitarian flights into the airports to bring water, shelf stable food and medical supplies. They have also been getting crews into the airports to operate aircraft out with anyone that was stranded at the airport.

Right now they are anticipating some flying to resume at noon on Thursday the 31st...

Hotel says they are up & running but sold out thru October 31. Reservations will be honored but they are calling daily to see if anyone is cancelling so they can resell the rooms if they are no longer coming.

Sounds like an insurance company has already bought them out. A lot will do that to house their reps and as places to put people without homes.