Cruise ships stranded in the Gulf by Harvey

Thoughts are with the passengers on the ships currently in the Caribbean. Looks like some have diverted course to avoid the hurricane as much as they can.

Stay safe people.

Thousands stranded on cruise ships in the Gulf by Harvey

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-cruise-idUSKCN1B52N9

I am sure there are. A lot of Texans cruise from Galveston and many also drive and leave their cars at the designated car parks on the Island. I am sure those that did will be wondering what they will come back to as that area can go under water quickly.

I've been talking to friends in Houston and they have weathered the storm reasonably well, although Galveston has taken a hit. Several tornadoes touched down in NW Houston where we used to live and caused some damage. The same thing happened during Katrina and we had an 80' Oak tree crash down the side of our house and partially on the roof. They are just waiting to see how much rain they get now.

Houston floods really badly so there is going to be damage. The bay and bayous backs up into suburbs and all the freeway underpasses fill up so the local roads are closed but usually not before someone tries to drive through and drowns. I think Texas is in for a rough week.

I am sure there are. A lot of Texans cruise from Galveston and many also drive and leave their cars at the designated car parks on the Island. I am sure those that did will be wondering what they will come back to as that area can go under water quickly.

I've been talking to friends in Houston and they have weathered the storm reasonably well, although Galveston has taken a hit. Several tornadoes touched down in NW Houston where we used to live and caused some damage. The same thing happened during Katrina and we had an 80' Oak tree crash down the side of our house and partially on the roof. They are just waiting to see how much rain they get now.

Houston floods really badly so there is going to be damage. The bay and bayous backs up into suburbs and all the freeway underpasses fill up so the local roads are closed but usually not before someone tries to drive through and drowns. I think Texas is in for a rough week.

When I visited the area in 2011 we saw the devastation from previous storms and subsequent flooding. Hopefully they don't get it too bad.

Sad to hear of the loss of life and extensive flooding following Cyclone Harvey.

Royal Caribbean has advised that their next cruise from Galveston has been cancelled with 100% refund, due to Port of Galveston being closed (3.25 pm 27/8).

Carnival is still waiting to advise their passengers (3.17 pm 27/8). I feel sorry for their passengers who are already in Galveston for their cruise.

Port of Galveston website

Royal Caribbean has advised that their next cruise from Galveston has been cancelled with 100% refund, due to Port of Galveston being closed (3.25 pm 27/8).

Carnival is still waiting to advise their passengers (3.17 pm 27/8). I feel sorry for their passengers who are already in Galveston for their cruise.

Port of Galveston website

Yeah, it is causing issues for all concerned whether cruising or living in the affected areas.

Yeah, it is causing issues for all concerned whether cruising or living in the affected areas.

Ship due to disembark at Galveston has been diverted to Miami. With the local flooding and road closures, it wouldn't be safe to disembark passengers at Galveston.

I wouldn't want to be on a BIG ship stranded in the Gulf waiting out the cyclone.

Ship due to disembark at Galveston has been diverted to Miami. With the local flooding and road closures, it wouldn't be safe to disembark passengers at Galveston.

I wouldn't want to be on a BIG ship stranded in the Gulf waiting out the cyclone.

At least you are not in the cyclone, hope things are ok on land, but the ship was well away from the storm, so things shouldn't be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope your friends are still doing OK.

It sounds like authorities didn't anticipate the scale of the emergency. Flooding is massive. I feel for the people as officials open the dams.

I am surprised that they didn't make people go to shelters in advance, like they do during our cyclones. It is better that they get out of potential danger areas, even if the hurricane doesn't hit or flooding doesn't eventuate (like in part of Mackay).

I couldn't believe the photo of the old people in a nursing home, with water close to their waists.

I am astounded that Royal Caribbean didn't cancel its next cruise until the Sunday, the day of departure of the next cruise.

It sounds like authorities didn't anticipate the scale of the emergency. Flooding is massive. I feel for the people as officials open the dams.

I am surprised that they didn't make people go to shelters in advance, like they do during our cyclones. It is better that they get out of potential danger areas, even if the hurricane doesn't hit or flooding doesn't eventuate (like in part of Mackay).

I can tell you exactly why... We were living in Houston during the last 3 Hurricanes. They told everyone to evacuate during Rita and the Freeways and Hways went Contra-lane, which means everyone traveled out of Houston on both sides of the freeways. That was sometimes up to 8 lanes of traffic heading out. It was like a huge parking lot as it was so slow some only moved a half mile in an hours. Lots ran out of fuel and cars were pushed to the side of the Hways. It took some up to 36 hours to travel the 4 hours to Dallas or Austin.

Many of those same Hways are now covered in water. Just imagine what would have happened if a City of 6 + million were told to evacuate. They would have been stranded in their cars surrounded by flood water. Houston was also only given 24 hours or so notice to expect such a huge downpour, so not much time to mobilise and evacuate the old and infirm. Shelter in Place is often the best thing to do and authorities can work at rescuing those that need rescuring instead of having millions of people in peril stuck on freeways.

They are now opening dams due to flooding up stream so that will cause more flooding downstream.

The reservoirs are used to stop the city flooding but Houston catchment is so flat, that entire suburbs are threatened by the reservoirs spreading out and overflowing. They always release water so it will run downstream and towards Downtown, then let whole communities of family homes flood. Most buildings in the Downtown area are offices, hotels and apartments so I guess the lesser of two evils.

I can tell you exactly why... We were living in Houston during the last 3 Hurricanes. They told everyone to evacuate during Rita and the Freeways and Hways went Contra-lane, which means everyone traveled out of Houston on both sides of the freeways. That was sometimes up to 8 lanes of traffic heading out. It was like a huge parking lot as it was so slow some only moved a half mile in an hours. Lots ran out of fuel and cars were pushed to the side of the Hways. It took some up to 36 hours to travel the 4 hours to Dallas or Austin.

Many of those same Hways are now covered in water. Just imagine what would have happened if a City of 6 + million were told to evacuate. They would have been stranded in their cars surrounded by flood water. Houston was also only given 24 hours or so notice to expect such a huge downpour, so not much time to mobilise and evacuate the old and infirm. Shelter in Place is often the best thing to do and authorities can work at rescuing those that need rescuring instead of having millions of people in peril stuck on freeways.

I did hear that there was loss of life last time with people trying to get out.

Yes, I did hear that many of the highways are now cut by flood water.

However, severe Flooding was forecast, but seems to have been underestimated. Any mass evacuation has to be done in advance. Otherwise shelter in place is the way to go.

Harvey, like the last Queensland cyclone, was slow and stayed around dropping torrential rain in the one region.

I couldn't believe the photo of the old people in a nursing home, with water close to their waists.

I am astounded that Royal Caribbean didn't cancel its next cruise until the Sunday, the day of departure of the next cruise.

The elderly people with water up to their waists and above was very distressing [emoji17]

For those folks like us that are booked somewhere with a stop in Houston, the airlines will reroute you with no change fee - or at least united will. We are now flying through Chicago - better for us and for the people that actually need to get to and from Houston.

The RCCL Liberty went to Miami where passengers could get off today and fly home or ride back to Galveston and get off about Friday. The 3 Carnival cruises did the same through New Orleans.

Sent from my iPad using Forums