Scattering ashes on the Oasis

Hello,

Sadly my brother-in-law passed away before ever taking his first cruise. I remember reading somewhere that Royal had allowed ashes to be scattered at sea.

I do know you must you a waterproof urn for this to happen. I believe I read that the ship allowed a small place to gather quietly with friends while the urn was placed in the water.

Does anyone have information about this or could tell me who I need to contact ?

We will be on the Qasis on September 9th.

Thank you,

Christine

There is a beautiful post on these boards by a man who scattered his wife's ashes from a ship. I wouldn't even know where to begin searching, maybe someone else remembers it and can help find it. The cruise line was very helpful and respectful to him. I'm almost certain it was Royal.

You could also consider scattering at a location on land during the cruise. I scattered some cremains over a beautiful pond in Tahiti as a favor to the deceased loved one.

There is a beautiful post on these boards by a man who scattered his wife's ashes from a ship. I wouldn't even know where to begin searching, maybe someone else remembers it and can help find it. The cruise line was very helpful and respectful to him. I'm almost certain it was Royal.

You could also consider scattering at a location on land during the cruise. I scattered some cremains over a beautiful pond in Tahiti as a favor to the deceased loved one.

I think this may be the post that you are referring to.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1268384&highlight=Ashes

Thank you so much Clarea. I really appreciate that info.

You're welcome and I hope it works out for you. Our experience was on Liberty, it was a moving experience and handled very well by the crew.

We (sisters and I) did a burial at sea for our mother last year on the Norwegian Jade. Had to through environmental officer. We had a nice ceremony on crew's deck. Only problem I wanted her near Mexico, and she ended up near Cuba.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was so impressed and moved when I read Trainman's wonderful thread about honoring his wife by scattering her ashes at sea. That was in 2010, and I lost my brother soon after.

My sister and I took him on a cruise on Freedom in 07, which was a great experience for 3 sibling adults to enjoy together. My brother was wheelchair bound, and felt that the facilities and guest service were so wonderful that our cruise offered him a great amount of 'Freedom' to enjoy activities including the pool, that he lost 16 years previously after an auto accident resulted in spinal cord injuries.

In 2013,I made arrangements to give him a burial at sea while cruising on Freedom. The staff was so helpful and supportive, and I was very pleased with the respect that they showed us.

I emailed Royal before the cruise to learn what was required. I was told that if I chose to use an urn, it must have paperwork showing it was biodegradable, but that no urn was required.

We transported his ashes in the box that was given to us by the funeral home. We were taken to a small balcony by ship's security personnel, accompanied by a uniformed staff member. We read a poem, said a prayer, and scattered the ashes into the sea. The staff member gave us time to gather our thoughts and then provided a box of tissues.

The next day, we received a certificate showing the details: his dates of birth and death and burial at sea, the latitude and longitude of the ship at the time, with a signature by the captain. I know this will always be a special memory--thanks Royal Caribbean!

Barb

I was so impressed and moved when I read Trainman's wonderful thread about honoring his wife by scattering her ashes at sea. That was in 2010, and I lost my brother soon after.

My sister and I took him on a cruise on Freedom in 07, which was a great experience for 3 sibling adults to enjoy together. My brother was wheelchair bound, and felt that the facilities and guest service were so wonderful that our cruise offered him a great amount of 'Freedom' to enjoy activities including the pool, that he lost 16 years previously after an auto accident resulted in spinal cord injuries.

In 2013,I made arrangements to give him a burial at sea while cruising on Freedom. The staff was so helpful and supportive, and I was very pleased with the respect that they showed us.

I emailed Royal before the cruise to learn what was required. I was told that if I chose to use an urn, it must have paperwork showing it was biodegradable, but that no urn was required.

We transported his ashes in the box that was given to us by the funeral home. We were taken to a small balcony by ship's security personnel, accompanied by a uniformed staff member. We read a poem, said a prayer, and scattered the ashes into the sea. The staff member gave us time to gather our thoughts and then provided a box of tissues.

The next day, we received a certificate showing the details: his dates of birth and death and burial at sea, the latitude and longitude of the ship at the time, with a signature by the captain. I know this will always be a special memory--thanks Royal Caribbean!

Barb

Thank you for sharing.