Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

There weren’t any more pages from those menus but I do have some pages from the MDR wine list if that’s any help

7d62c4ab61a81baeaaeed67057bd8be0.jpgba462b269efc7f85d5913751e740acac.jpg9f2da5f4bcd4bb6b7e2466be4814cacf.jpg6c19ba219dec1191dda21094815537d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the quick response /upload, others should find them a handy refrence as well . :)

Thanks for that Caravan, would you happen to have the other pages to that menu you could post ?

Thinking about the link I posted which when it comes to Spirit's double measures are not part of the AI that P&O have put together.

Would this not go for the wines as well ? At a guess I would say the 175ml glass (£5 average) would be the one served on AI rather than the 250ml glass ( as you rightly state around the £7 mark)

As the AI trial gets underway we should all get a clearer picture of how P&O run this AI trial .

As long as s large glass of wine is less than the limit of £7 that's what you will get if you order it. Double spirits are not allowed, no restrictions on wine. Surely?

What I have not seen anywhere is whether the Peninsular club discount applies to these packages. However, as presumably the cost is deducted at purchase and not daily, those with obc to cover this cost will not benefit from loyalty discount because as I remember, it only kicks in once obc has been spent.

I was just mulling this over too. Depends when they take the grats as that usually wipes any OBC out.

If they don't apply loyalty discount to the package, or it comes out of OBC, that tips the balance the wrong way for me.

Costa coffee is around £2.50, not £3-£4. The package will be attractive to some and not to many others including me. But if P&O think there is a demand and a market for it, the experiment makes sense. At least it provides choice which is a good thing and the restrictions of 15 drinks max per day and 15 minutes min between orders shows some evidence of responsibility, especially if the 15 drinks are spread out over the whole of a sea day.

Americano primo was the cheapest at £2.30 on my last cruise in April. Costa card was £22 for 10 drinks so just made it worthwhile. Cappuccino, latte, iced coffees considerably more. Much nearer the £3. Depends whether you rounding down or up.

P and O wouldn't do it if they weren't going to make a profit. Whether it is worth it to make the bar stewards work harder by fetching 2 single drinks in 30 mins or one double in 30 mins is for them to decide.

Thanks for that Caravan, would you happen to have the other pages to that menu you could post ?

Thinking about the link I posted which when it comes to Spirit's double measures are not part of the AI that P&O have put together.

Would this not go for the wines as well ? At a guess I would say the 175ml glass (£5 average) would be the one served on AI rather than the 250ml glass ( as you rightly state around the £7 mark)

As the AI trial gets underway we should all get a clearer picture of how P&O run this AI trial .

As long as s large glass of wine is less than the limit of £7 that's what you will get if you order it. Double spirits are not allowed, no restrictions on wine. Surely?

You could be right , who knows ? That's why I said "at a guess" and " As the trial gets underway we should all get a clearer picture of how this will be run "

As posted by others ...Time will tell . The link I put on here last night is limited in information .

With a bit of luck the large glass maybe on the AI .

What I have not seen anywhere is whether the Peninsular club discount applies to these packages. However, as presumably the cost is deducted at purchase and not daily, those with obc to cover this cost will not benefit from loyalty discount because as I remember, it only kicks in once obc has been spent.
When I have ordered speciality restaurant's like Epicurean online My 7.5% loyalty discount was deducted off the price I paid so assume that would be the same with the drinks package if booked on line.

OBC is great but I agree it's not fair that your loyalty discount doesn't take effect until after your obc is used up.

Loyalty discount doesn’t apply to wine packages, so I think it’s highly likely that it won’t apply to this as well. I suspect that P&O are relying on people using their OBC towards the cost (hence the insistence that you elect for the package no later than the end of the 2nd day). That way, it creates a false perception that it’s costing less and people won’t have had time to work out that they will struggle to get through 15 drinks every day of their cruise, especially on port days.

We don’t spend anywhere near as much time ashore as many people, but would never have the time, desire or physical capacity to drink that amount. At breakfast we drink tea and smoothies (free), at lunchtime we rarely crave anything other than lots of water (especially if it’s a hot day and we’ve been ashore) - again free and in the evening we have one drink before dinner and rarely even get through a bottle of wine a night. After dinner drinks are rare. Perhaps we are lightweights but I doubt that we spend more than an average of £30 a day on paid drinks between us, let alone £80.

If they follow RCCL whose drink limit is $13 per drink you will just have to pay the difference in price if you want a more expensive drink.

At least P&O don't charge 18% gratuities on every drink.

Loyalty discount doesn’t apply to wine packages, so I think it’s highly likely that it won’t apply to this as well. I suspect that P&O are relying on people using their OBC towards the cost (hence the insistence that you elect for the package no later than the end of the 2nd day). That way, it creates a false perception that it’s costing less and people won’t have had time to work out that they will struggle to get through 15 drinks every day of their cruise, especially on port days.

We don’t spend anywhere near as much time ashore as many people, but would never have the time, desire or physical capacity to drink that amount. At breakfast we drink tea and smoothies (free), at lunchtime we rarely crave anything other than lots of water (especially if it’s a hot day and we’ve been ashore) - again free and in the evening we have one drink before dinner and rarely even get through a bottle of wine a night. After dinner drinks are rare. Perhaps we are lightweights but I doubt that we spend more than an average of £30 a day on paid drinks between us, let alone £80.

I didn't know that loyalty discount didn't apply to wine packages. That being so it seems unlikely that it will apply to these new packages.

I was kinda hoping that you could order online and get the discount as you do when prebooking tours. The OBC wouldn't come into calculations.

Again if they are following an American line like RCCL our Diamond Plus loyalty level gets us a 30% discount on drinks packages.

Reading some posts on here of people who like to get off the ship and go to a nice beach maybe and have a few beers got me thinking about my travels last week.

I was in the Sunderland area overnight (pre stay to the upcoming Airshow) .

We went into the sea front pub and ended up having one of the largest meals I have ever seen and washed it down with 3 pints (a very nice way to kill a few hours). £42 for two of us not £80.

Afterwards I just wanted to laydown in our hotel for a few hours and let it all settle.

This got me thinking ,when we have been off the ship we have spotted ships passengers having large meals and a few drinks in the local ports /bars.

So I can well understand why some passengers who leave the ship for a few hours doubt that

the AI would suit them .

To me coming back £40 worth of drink would not be an option for me .

Each to their own ,some may , just my thoughts , just enjoy your cruise folks .

If they follow RCCL whose drink limit is $13 per drink you will just have to pay the difference in price if you want a more expensive drink.

At least P&O don't charge 18% gratuities on every drink.

They are giving a 20% discount on any drink over the price limit. You will not just be paying the difference.

As a slight aside..... seeing the wine menus, I don't think the Australian Reds were included but I have some bad news for DaiB - the Billi Billi has disappeared from the wine list.

We did a wine tasting on Oceana last month and we were told it had been dropped. We were still able to order some in the MDR as they still had stock but clearly not enough to include it on the menu. If this is fleet wide, it seems your favourite wine (and one we like very much too) may not be available for much longer.

(Sorry to hijack the thread but didn't seem worth starting a new thread for.)

As a slight aside..... seeing the wine menus, I don't think the Australian Reds were included but I have some bad news for DaiB - the Billi Billi has disappeared from the wine list.

We did a wine tasting on Oceana last month and we were told it had been dropped. We were still able to order some in the MDR as they still had stock but clearly not enough to include it on the menu. If this is fleet wide, it seems your favourite wine (and one we like very much too) may not be available for much longer.

I know more than a few fellow travellers who will not be pleased at that news.

They are giving a 20% discount on any drink over the price limit. You will not just be paying the difference.
Well that's good to know.

We never drink very much so unless it is part of the booking price and you had to have it like we had to on RC free!! drinks we would never buy a package.

People seem to have overlooked that now the AI product exists P&O can choose to offer it for 'free' as a booking incentive.

Yes, possibly in the same way as they offer extra OBC, when the basic cruise price rises so that the net is about the same! Therefore it would only be a benefit for those who would drink more than £80 a day per couple, which we don’t. We’d rather have a low Cruise price and pay for what we want, not pay an inflated price for a ‘free’ benefit that we wouldn’t get our moneys worth for. As we know, nothing in life is ‘free’.

Nothing in life is "free" especially the drinks packages on RCCL and Celebrity as the fares increase to cover price.
Thankfully, cruisecritic & CC forums will always be free, just like WhatsApp and Facebook

People seem to have overlooked that now the AI product exists P&O can choose to offer it for 'free' as a booking incentive.

The cost of the Ultimate Package is double any booking offer I've ever seen. I can't see them offering it soon.

They could quiet easily offer free drinks package and then include the price in the cruise price. Many would fall for it thinking it was "free" and not that you are paying for it in increase in cruise fare that is what Celebrity and RCCL have been doing for a while and people fall for it thinking its free.

Well that’s spoilt my whole day/weekend/week/month/year. I am devastated I will never cruise with P&O again. That’s it finished. Gutted.

Well until Oct anyway.

:). :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums