Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

See my post 900

Thanks - got it

I presume soft drinks/water are included in the ultimate even if you’re not travelling with children and hopefully the £6.95 ceiling will include cocktails

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But that has always been the case. Anyway how many people who are working can take 35 nights in January for a cruise. Sorry but cruising is always going to have a majority of retired people taking part as they are the ones with the time and money.

However there are many BOF’s like me who love the new big ships and will continue to cruise with them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The current cohort of retirees have the time and money. They will neither have the time or the money going forward.

Younger people will have to continue working until age 67 at present and up to age 70 going forward. They will neither have 35 days leave to take or a decent enough pension to pay for a holiday of that length.

The times, they are a changing.

The current cohort of retirees have the time and money. They will neither have the time or the money going forward.

Younger people will have to continue working until age 67 at present and up to age 70 going forward. They will neither have 35 days leave to take or a decent enough pension to pay for a holiday of that length.

The times, they are a changing.

I am fully aware of that but it does not change my thoughts about the age profile of cruising. A great deal of my cruising is done at these off peak times and I can see the age of my fellow cruisers.

Maybe in 10 years time it may be different but it will not change greatly.

I am fully aware of that but it does not change my thoughts about the age profile of cruising. A great deal of my cruising is done at these off peak times and I can see the age of my fellow cruisers.

Maybe in 10 years time it may be different but it will not change greatly.

You say it will not change greatly but how has it changed already in the last 10 years? I don't know as I haven't been cruising that long, but "everybody" says it has- mostly for the worse.

I know my pension is no where near as good as my parents and I WILL be working longer before I can enjoy it

I see that everyone in the cabin must purchase it too...

Princess tried that when it first started, didn't last long. I think its a fair price, I paid £50 per day for their all inclusive, when the £ to $ was better it was about £33 a day. The 15 drinks limit is a bit haphazard as the wait staff just check with your friends if they want to use their allowance for you, that was on Princess 2 weeks ago.

You say it will not change greatly but how has it changed already in the last 10 years? I don't know as I haven't been cruising that long, but "everybody" says it has- mostly for the worse.

I know my pension is no where near as good as my parents and I WILL be working longer before I can enjoy it

I am talking about the change in age not cruising.

I don’t drink enough to pay that amount pppn. Even with soft drinks I probably would not down 15 drinks a day.

I wonder if this will be used as an incentive to sell select cruises if they throw it in as “ free”. I can’t see many people on 14 night or above paying this amount.

Jeepers. Any couple drinking so much that a package costing £80 per day is saving them money needs more than a drinks package. They need counselling.

Agreed, £80 per couple per day. !!!

Thank goodness it's optional.

We will continue to purchase our drinks as we go, however it would be interesting to know if the prices have increased substantially.

If not it's a no brainier for us.

I don’t drink enough to pay that amount pppn. Even with soft drinks I probably would not down 15 drinks a day.

I wonder if this will be used as an incentive to sell select cruises if they throw it in as “ free”. I can’t see many people on 14 night or above paying this amount.

That's an interesting thought especially regarding IONA only offering freedom dining.

One of the perks of booking select is that you can choose your preferred dining options but that option won't be available on IONA.

For me it looks a reasonable offer. Can budget £40 a day for all drink and not have to worry about bringing aboard lots of soft drinks/water.Good that you can skip the first day and start on day 2.

If they do roll it out I guess they’ll only do it on cruises of 7 days or more.

For me it looks a reasonable offer. Can budget £40 a day for all drink and not have to worry about bringing aboard lots of soft drinks/water.Good that you can skip the first day and start on day 2.

It says on the T&C's that it's for cruises of 5 days or more.

Looking back over previous P&O onboard spend this won't be worth it for us. We always travel as a four with another couple and pool our spend to 1 card, looking back it costs us about £100 per day for 4 of us so the package at £160 per day is too much (unless they increase the bar prices significantly).

Strange because on Celebrity the package works for us and would probably save us money even if we had to buy it, but then the bar prices are much higher on Celebrity. The Celebrity Premium package is about £50 pppd but their drinks are much more expensive. We drink more or less the same on Celebrity as P&O.

Also, not sure how the wine part would work, will be hassle if you have to keep ordering glasses of wine - on celebrity they just top up once you have chosen your wine.

It's a shame as I have been an advocate of P&O introducing it but I think the sums are wrong. For us 4 the only way we would finish in front would be to drink more and probably would not want to keep that up for the whole holiday. I thought we were quite big drinkers but at £40 per day I think it will only appeal to a few.

Edited by bee-ess

Does it include soft drinks though - it didn’t really confirm in the flyer I saw? If it does include some of the items (coffees/juices/cokes/water) from other packages on offer then it’s more attractive. Also I want to remind myself what is available for £6.95 and under and that the previous bar prices don’t rocket !!

Looking back over previous P&O onboard spend this won't be worth it for us. We always travel as a four with another couple and pool our spend to 1 card, looking back it costs us about £100 per day for 4 of us so the package at £160 per day is too much (unless they increase the bar prices significantly).

Strange because on Celebrity the package works for us and would probably save us money even if we had to buy it, but then the bar prices are much higher on Celebrity. The Celebrity Premium package is about £50 pppd but their drinks are much more expensive. We drink more or less the same on Celebrity as P&O.

Also, not sure how the wine part would work, will be hassle if you have to keep ordering glasses of wine - on celebrity they just top up once you have chosen your wine.

It's a shame as I have been an advocate of P&O introducing it but I think the sums are wrong. For us 4 the only way we would finish in front would be to drink more and probably would not want to keep that up for the whole holiday. I thought we were quite big drinkers but at £40 per day I think it will only appeal to a few.

The top up of wine has worked ok for me on RC and MSC - once the servers know what wine you want I think they keep a bottle nearby

We just spent £400 over a week on P&O and that was fairly moderate drinking. We’ll be travelling over New a Year with a group and I think we’re likely to drink more as a result. Also as it’s Caribbean we’re likely to want lots of water/cocktails during the day so it doesn’t take much to get to £40pppd - if it does include soft drinks as well

Well I’ve just seen the new drinks package they’re trialing on Azura on Facebook . No way am I tee total but my drinks bill is nowhere near that! So I won’t pay for it but I have a feeling they might put the prices up to justify it.

Well I’ve just seen the new drinks package they’re trialing on Azura on Facebook . No way am I tee total but my drinks bill is nowhere near that! So I won’t pay for it but I have a feeling they might put the prices up to justify it.

That’s what we’re waiting to see - hopefully someone on the 21 July sailing will take pictures of the bar menus/wine lists

Does anyone have a link to a current bar prices list, i know people say it may change now they are introducing these packages but it may help a bit. I have no idea if it will be worth it for me. i would class myself as a big drinker and easily drink 15 alcoholic drinks in a day but on a 2 weeks cruise i could not do it everyday maybe 5 days out of 14. I also drink alot of water so maybe it would be worth doing.

It says 15 alcoholic drinks per day., is water, soft drinks, coffee unlimited?

Does anyone have a link to a current bar prices list, i know people say it may change now they are introducing these packages but it may help a bit. I have no idea if it will be worth it for me. i would class myself as a big drinker and easily drink 15 alcoholic drinks in a day but on a 2 weeks cruise i could not do it everyday maybe 5 days out of 14. I also drink alot of water so maybe it would be worth doing.

According to the Facebook posts I've seen there is a separate drinks package for non - alcoholic drinks!! Tap water is always available, coffee is free in the MDR, buffet and in your cabin. Costa coffees you have to pay for, Fruit juice is free in the buffet at breakfast but not available later in the day.

On the subject of water, in the MDR we've always been given tap water without fuss. One waiter recently on Ventura said "still or sparkling" and I realised he was trying to sell us a bottle! Luckily I realised and made a point of saying just tap water please but a couple nearby were caught out!

Edited by P&O SUE
Add info

Cruise lines are well aware that people hit the bar more in the first few days of a holiday and then slow down considerably. That’s why most don’t do AI packages on shorter cruises.

You are right, even people who like a few more refreshments will not manage that pace for a full 14 days.

That said there will be some will see it as a personal challenge to ensure that they get their 15 drinks per day. They will see it as a target, not a limit.

I wonder how the staff will deal with what follows?

I have just had another look at the package. Did anyone else notice that they are offering a children’s package included free with the adult ultimate one. On its own it would cost £7.95pppn.

So it’s very good value for families who are getting a £7.75 discount per day, per child on the cost of their package but not so much for everyone else.

As I said in an earlier post, they are clearly marketing for the younger demographic.