How Are You Getting Over the Post Alaska Cruise Blues

sagustaw

My kids and I had a wonder time on the Carnival Legend August 1st - 8th. Since we returned, I find myself reading CC Trip Reviews, looking at port and bridge cameras, watching Alaska themed TV programs and showing my pictures to anyone who will look. What are you doing to come back to reality after your amazing Alaska adventure?

Plan your next trip to Alaska ! Maybe a non cruise adventure.

Do a road trip ..... rent an RV and drive around Alaska for 2 weeks. Split your time between coastal towns and inland.

Or fly into Juneau and go to Glacier Bay for a few days then use the ferry to visit a few other SE communitites.

Lots of options.

In the meantime, add a trip report to the LIST above. Share your knowledge and experiences with others.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm still dreaming about our trip! We have two cruises and several land vacations already planned but nothing for next summer--I would go back next summer if I could convince the hubby. I do know we will go back at some point so I'll have to be content with that for now.

Off the wall maybe, but think about a long weekend in Anchorage in the winter.

At the end of February there's a big annual festival in Anchorage, the Fur Rendezvous. "Rondy" lasts about two weeks and culminates with the start of the Iditarod dogsled race; the "unofficial" start is in downtown Anchorage but the "official" start is out in the Mat-Su Valley.

Rondy is a total hoot in Anchorage, a real way to let off steam after having been cooped up all winter. (While it's still winter, the days are getting longer and it's usually starting to warm up enough so that being outside is easier.) There are championship dogsled races (sprints, not the marathons like the Iditarod) downtown, the "running of the reindeer," a carnival, fur auction, fireworks, snowshoe softball, blanket tosses, ice carving, the Miners and Trappers Ball with its beard contest, and on and on.

Airfare and hotels are fairly cheap (it's mainly a locals event so not prone to inflated "soak the tourists" prices) and if you want to splurge on a flightseeing trip, there's nothing - nothing - like seeing Alaska from the air during the winter.

Anyway, just a (non-cruising) thought. http://www.furrondy.net/

gallery-furrondy-dogsled-races-4.jpg

running-reindeer.jpg

Edited by Gardyloo

it's been a year since we got back, and my head is still wrapped around Alaska. I wish I had discovered cruising before I did, and I wish that I had discovered Alaska when I was younger. what a wonderful cruise that was, and how beautiful Alaska is.

My kids and I had a wonder time on the Carnival Legend August 1st - 8th. Since we returned, I find myself reading CC Trip Reviews, looking at port and bridge cameras, watching Alaska themed TV programs and showing my pictures to anyone who will look. What are you doing to come back to reality after your amazing Alaska adventure?

I am always planning another cruise to Alaska. It may not be booked, but I'm looking every week ... it may not be next year (thought I'm hopeful) .... but I'm always planning.

Gardyloo,

A Winter week-end in Anchorage is not an off-the-wall I idea, I don't think. I'd call it "thinking outside the box". And, I agree with your suggestion.

Because I have relatives who live there, I have spent a few days at Christmas there and it was a memorable and unique experience for me. With the snow, it truly was beautiful. Because of the cold, it was easy to see the popularity of all the coffee kiosks along the streets and highways. And, it was cold: -16 degrees on Christmas Day with wind. Streets were not as well cleared of snow as we expect in the lower 48, but my experienced Nephew knew how to drive in such situations.

I'd go again on a Winter visit!

Agree with Gardylou that the Rondy is a hoot. Last couple of years I believe they have trucked in snow for the event. Have snowmachined along the Iditarod Race for 10 days and it was cold,-50 degrees. Got some great photos of Mt. Denali when the pilot who brought us fuel took my son and I for a scenic flight around it. Awesome. Am considering going there next March for some ice fishing again. Will have to wait to see how the snow conditions are. Can't get enough,summer or winter!!

I have a few more trips (Hawaii and Europe) I'd like to do before I repeat Alaska but I WILL be going back. That trip is definitely at the top of my favorite vacations list. In the mean time, I'm going through my 1400 photos and my 48Gs of video. I plan to write a trip review with photos while the details are still fresh.

Off the wall maybe, but think about a long weekend in Anchorage in the winter.

At the end of February there's a big annual festival in Anchorage, the Fur Rendezvous. "Rondy" lasts about two weeks and culminates with the start of the Iditarod dogsled race; the "unofficial" start is in downtown Anchorage but the "official" start is out in the Mat-Su Valley.

Rondy is a total hoot in Anchorage, a real way to let off steam after having been cooped up all winter. (While it's still winter, the days are getting longer and it's usually starting to warm up enough so that being outside is easier.) There are championship dogsled races (sprints, not the marathons like the Iditarod) downtown, the "running of the reindeer," a carnival, fur auction, fireworks, snowshoe softball, blanket tosses, ice carving, the Miners and Trappers Ball with its beard contest, and on and on.

Airfare and hotels are fairly cheap (it's mainly a locals event so not prone to inflated "soak the tourists" prices) and if you want to splurge on a flightseeing trip, there's nothing - nothing - like seeing Alaska from the air during the winter.

Anyway, just a (non-cruising) thought. http://www.furrondy.net/

gallery-furrondy-dogsled-races-4.jpg

running-reindeer.jpg

I've made 3 winter trips and agree, just fantastic. Also for others, take a look at http://www.icealaska.com which has always been my time frame and enjoyment.

Gardy- Don't forget your plug for Kotzebue :) :) I stil haven't gotten there for some reason. Sounds like I need to get going on seeing that area, maybe next year?

I mean September. Oops

JS- what ship?? :hearteyes::hearteyes:

I just did another - real last minute- on the Sun, booked Friday night, left real early Sunday Morning, on ship Monday. Shortest booking in Alaska I've done. I just had to send my passport out for renewal yesterday- completely full book, even though 1,5 years left. So don't know about just my license travel for Alaska and Canada. Don't have enhanced and don't like depending on just that.

YES!!!!!!! Plan a return. There is so much that you "miss" in Alaska.

My first trip in 1994 was a "one time", per life trip. Have no clue what's in their "water", but I've become an addict and now have returned over 60 times. Just home yesterday from a quick late booked price dumped cruise. :)

It's never tiring and always something for me to do- "new". A paradise I return to over and over at every opportunity.

JS- what ship?? :hearteyes::hearteyes:

I just did another - real last minute- on the Sun, booked Friday night, left real early Sunday Morning, on ship Monday. Shortest booking in Alaska I've done. I just had to send my passport out for renewal yesterday- completely full book, even though 1,5 years left. So don't know about just my license travel for Alaska and Canada. Don't have enhanced and don't like depending on just that.

Where else but the Sun. Her last cruise to Alaska.:eek: Just like the way we started this season but kinda in reverse. I have never sailed so late in a season. But last year in late August I was able to catch the Northern Lights for my first and only time. Who knows what will happen this time. :confused:

Where else but the Sun. Her last cruise to Alaska.:eek: Just like the way we started this season but kinda in reverse. I have never sailed so late in a season. But last year in late August I was able to catch the Northern Lights for my first and only time. Who knows what will happen this time. :confused:

I just got off the Sun. :)

Planning our next cruise to Alaska. We had every intention (we even booked it onboard) of cruising the eastern Caribbean next year but we had the best, most relaxing yet awesome cruise and excursions on our round trip cruise from Seattle on board Solstice.

Since returning we are planning a trip before seeking to change our booking. We cannot wait....I'm seeking an answer to one question to assist with planning if anyone can help, any know what transfers Celebrity offer from Seward to Anchorage airport post cruise. The identified flight would depart at 13.40 bound for Seattle? The train doesn't fit our post cruise plans can we make it with a transfer or should we look at a later flight - anyone cruised/cruising northborad this year on board Celebrity?