Gin & Tonic

Host Jazzbeau

There is a thread on the Azamara board about the awful brand of tonic they stock (Royal). What brand does Princess use?

Every Princess ship I have been on has had Schweppes--the best.

And yes, they also have Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, and Beefeater gin--and probably some others I'm not aware of.

The G&T aficionados at Azamara prefer Fevertree tonic, but they say Schweppes is quite acceptable. I'll have to try a G&T on our Princess cruise to check it out -- to know whether to pack some tonic for the next Azamara cruise! [to prevent malaria, don't you know...]

The G&T aficionados at Azamara prefer Fevertree tonic, but they say Schweppes is quite acceptable. I'll have to try a G&T on our Princess cruise to check it out -- to know whether to pack some tonic for the next Azamara cruise! [to prevent malaria, don't you know...]

Fever tree is fabulous!!!!! There are a couple different types. Mediterranean is our favorite. Princess mixers are acceptable especially with Hendricks gin.

Cheers, Denise

I assume these G&Ts are long drinks, so I'm curious - can you tell the difference between Gins ?

I have friends who swear by Schweppes and say Canada Dry is sweet by comparison.

YES!!! Some gin is "oily" (my description) and makes a fantastic Martini but a hideous Gin & Tonic.

The other brand that I have seen is Canada Dry. It tastes fine to me.
The Elite mini-bar setup has been stocking Canada Dry tonic and Beefeater's Gin for the past couple of years. They used to have Schweppes, but changed.

If you are ordering from a bar, then order specifically what you want - e.g. "Tanqueray and Schweppes". It will cost a little more, but probably is worth it for the taste.

Thanks Thrak - I have always thought that it was a waste to put expensive booze in a long drink, but must admit I enjoyed a G&T with Hendricks on last cruise. A friend swears by Tanqueray - on our next cruise we will do a blind test with Tanqueray and Hendricks. I only have cheap Gin at home so can't do it here ;)

Like your comment about G&T versus Martini - Hmmm do we need to add Martinis to the taste test ???? :evilsmile:

Thanks Thrak - I have always thought that it was a waste to put expensive booze in a long drink, but must admit I enjoyed a G&T with Hendricks on last cruise. A friend swears by Tanqueray - on our next cruise we will do a blind test with Tanqueray and Hendricks. I only have cheap Gin at home so can't do it here ;)

Like your comment about G&T versus Martini - Hmmm do we need to add Martinis to the taste test ???? :evilsmile:

Tanquery & Tonic = T&T Many bartenders will know what is meant. One of the things I'm "hoping" the Medallion system will do is allow this type of preferences to be entered into the OCEAN page that replaces the cruise personalizer. I want every bartender to automagically know I want a Tanqueray when I order a Gin and Tonic or to know that if I order a Bloody Mary I want it made "extra spicy". Simple to do but I don't yet know how granular the system will be. They claim you can enter all of your preferences but who knows what they actually mean? I've heard the OCEAN page will get some useful content sometime in mid October. I guess we will eventually find out how it works.

Tedferg, life is too short to drink cheap gin.

FYI, Beefeater, Tanqueray & Bombay Sapphire are London Dry gins, Hendricks is a New Wave gin (flavored with juniper, bulgarian rose & cucumber) and the other commonly found type of gin is Plymouth gin, which can only be made in Plymouth, England. You should be able to easily taste the difference between Hendricks and a London dry gin, so a tasting between 2 or 3 London dry gins might be a better test. Hendricks is also made is small batches, so it is pretty pricey, easily twice Bombay or Tanqueray. A martini sounds pretty good about now. lol

I just wish they would offer a sugar-free tonic. It might not taste quite as good, but it sure helps with the calorie count. I miss my T&T on board!

As it is, on my last cruise i switched to using bottled flavoring (eg, Crystal Lite) over ice and water, with a healthy splash of vodka -- my lo-cal version of a Vodka Cranberry etc. Better in the Caribbean over crushed ice. I will have to see how i do on my British Isles cruise in the cold Atlantic next month. I'm thinking i will end up switching back to my favorite standby, Scotch. Seems more appropriate for BI than a foo-foo drink in need of an umbrella. ;)

"I just wish they would offer a sugar-free tonic. It might not taste quite as good, but it sure helps with the calorie count. I miss my T&T on board!"

Have you ever tried a Gin and Sonic? It's half tonic and half soda water. If you don't have sugar free tonic this is a good option. It cuts half the calories and it tastes great.

Tedferg, life is too short to drink cheap gin.

Actually we do have Tanqueray but I am more of a Scotch drinker. I stand corrected, I always thought one could not tell the difference with a glass full of Tonic.

I just wish they would offer a sugar-free tonic. It might not taste quite as good, but it sure helps with the calorie count. I miss my T&T on board!

As it is, on my last cruise i switched to using bottled flavoring (eg, Crystal Lite) over ice and water, with a healthy splash of vodka -- my lo-cal version of a Vodka Cranberry etc. Better in the Caribbean over crushed ice. I will have to see how i do on my British Isles cruise in the cold Atlantic next month. I'm thinking i will end up switching back to my favorite standby, Scotch. Seems more appropriate for BI than a foo-foo drink in need of an umbrella. ;)

At home I often drink what I refer to as "And Tonic" which is just tonic and lime without the Gin. I actually prefer the diet tonic for this. I know... It sounds horrible but it works for me. The temp here today will be 107 F so a nice And Tonic may be in the works for me today. (Friday and Saturday are predicted to be 111 F. Uggh...)

As for Scotch... I find it appropriate for any cruise - as long as it's a decent Scotch. The stuff offered for in-room consumption just doesn't make it at all. Give me a nice single-malt that's at least 12 years old. ;)

As for Scotch... I find it appropriate for any cruise - as long as it's a decent Scotch. The stuff offered for in-room consumption just doesn't make it at all. Give me a nice single-malt that's at least 12 years old. ;)

Glenlivet 18 is my favorite, but there is nothing wrong with the 12 either. I have a number of "go to" drinks on cruises - T&T, Dark and Stormy, Grey Goose Dirty Martini, and on sea days around the pool whatever "foo-foo" drink that looks good!

Glenlivet 18 is my favorite' date=' but there is nothing wrong with the 12 either. I have a number of "go to" drinks on cruises - T&T, Dark and Stormy, Grey Goose Dirty Martini, and on sea days around the pool whatever "foo-foo" drink that looks good![/quote']

Try the 16. It's different and really very good. I know someone who actually prefers it to the 18. :) The reason I have to stick with the 12 year old is that is what is included under the Sip and Sail. (Also, at home, I can't afford the stuff. When I retired my income took quite a hit. ;p) When I want the old Scotch or something like Redbreast 21 Irish I have to visit my son who buys that sort of thing. :*