Tipping for waiter and maitre d

2 Labs

don't now why they do that on aussie cruises as our tips are already prepaid and u can't remove them.

I don't know why they don't have the aussie cruises policy on all their ships. Tips are just another expense to cruise along with taxes, port fees, etc. That would be a much better solution to the entire tipping charade.

I travel on cruise ships too and it is a very demanding service industry. I bring 2 bundles of 5's for every cruise. I give 5 bucks everyday to my steward and 5 bucks everyday to my Barista and 5 bucks everyday to the 2 or 3 Sanctuary stewards. I tip the head waiter 10 bucks and the asst. waiter 5 bucks every night. When we do the Crown Grill, Sabatini's, SHARE, Chefs Table I tip like a normal restaurant and the price for dinner is approx. 200 bucks. so I tip the Head Waiter/Mgr then the waiter and busboy. I traveled when we gave envelopes to the waiters on the last night and when we arrived for our table of 8 we were the only ones there for the evening. What a terrible thing to do to the workers. The cruise industry has changed very much since 2000. We are doing cruises 78,79 and 80 in the very near future and then we are leaving the cruise world. The sip and sail has made us decide to leave. The last cruise 19 day Panama Canal the morning coffee scene was like a Vegas bar, beers and mimosa and bloody Mary's more than tea or coffee and then the volume went up very quickly. If you enjoy the strings in the Piazza or some soft music the SIP and SAIL has taken away the ambience.

What about a tip for your photographers and the tender crews? Shouldn't forget and leave them out.

I don't know why they don't have the aussie cruises policy on all their ships. Tips are just another expense to cruise along with taxes, port fees, etc. That would be a much better solution to the entire tipping charade.

I'm totally with you on this.

I travel on cruise ships too and it is a very demanding service industry. I bring 2 bundles of 5's for every cruise. I give 5 bucks everyday to my steward and 5 bucks everyday to my Barista and 5 bucks everyday to the 2 or 3 Sanctuary stewards. I tip the head waiter 10 bucks and the asst. waiter 5 bucks every night. When we do the Crown Grill, Sabatini's, SHARE, Chefs Table I tip like a normal restaurant and the price for dinner is approx. 200 bucks. so I tip the Head Waiter/Mgr then the waiter and busboy. I traveled when we gave envelopes to the waiters on the last night and when we arrived for our table of 8 we were the only ones there for the evening. What a terrible thing to do to the workers. The cruise industry has changed very much since 2000. We are doing cruises 78,79 and 80 in the very near future and then we are leaving the cruise world. The sip and sail has made us decide to leave. The last cruise 19 day Panama Canal the morning coffee scene was like a Vegas bar, beers and mimosa and bloody Mary's more than tea or coffee and then the volume went up very quickly. If you enjoy the strings in the Piazza or some soft music the SIP and SAIL has taken away the ambience.

Seems like you should also tip the captain and the rest of bridge officers. They have more to do with the quality of your cruise than your waitstaff. Also, don't forget the chief engineer. If the engines do not work, the ship doesn't go anywhere.

LOL!!!

DON

That's not actually what their contract says, it says all cash tips must be handed in, (it doesn't say if any is returned after checking on auto tips or whatever so that becomes speculation) but it is clear that all cash tips must be handed in.

This is what the contract says

Nonetheless,to the extent passengers follow the suggested

contribution guidelines in whole or in part, or deliver their contribution to the Company or directly to any crew member(s), each and every crew member agrees that any such contribution is not his personal wage, but rather a contribution to the Discretionary Hotel and Dinning Charge Pool (The "Pool").

I've underlined the part that says they only have to contribute the cash they receive to the "Pool" up to the amount of the auto tip. So if you take off the tip and hand them cash they have to turn it in. If you take off part of the tip and give them extra cash they have to put in the amount to make up the difference.

Okay. I'm tired of hiding. I admit I always tip $5 to every Princess rep I speak to on the phone. I tip my mailman. I tip the president. (He really need the cash!) I tip the librarian and the meter maid. I generally spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $300,000 per year in tips. Do I win? </sarcasm off> (Yes, in a past life I have been a dishwasher, a cook, and a head cook. I do have a concept of the service industry.)

This is a very old and very tired subject and I don't know why people can't just search for it and read the old threads instead of bringing it up over and over and over and...

If you want to tip and feel you need to tip or must tip then just tip already! It's nobody else's business. Just do it. If you feel the need to say what a fabulous and generous tipper you are then it just looks like ego coming through. If you are seriously tipping a bunch because you really feel it is the right thing to do then you really shouldn't need to broadcast that to others. People who actually do altruistic things tend to keep it to themselves - not make a public display of it.

I sincerely wish that every tipping thread would automagically be closed by the moderators after about the 5th post. By then everything worth seeing has been said.

Okay. I'm tired of hiding. I admit I always tip $5 to every Princess rep I speak to on the phone. I tip my mailman. I tip the president. (He really need the cash!) I tip the librarian and the meter maid. I generally spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $300,000 per year in tips. Do I win? </sarcasm off> (Yes, in a past life I have been a dishwasher, a cook, and a head cook. I do have a concept of the service industry.)

This is a very old and very tired subject and I don't know why people can't just search for it and read the old threads instead of bringing it up over and over and over and...

If you want to tip and feel you need to tip or must tip then just tip already! It's nobody else's business. Just do it. If you feel the need to say what a fabulous and generous tipper you are then it just looks like ego coming through. If you are seriously tipping a bunch because you really feel it is the right thing to do then you really shouldn't need to broadcast that to others. People who actually do altruistic things tend to keep it to themselves - not make a public display of it.

I sincerely wish that every tipping thread would automagically be closed by the moderators after about the 5th post. By then everything worth seeing has been said.

You didn't tip me.. :(

I can only imagine the horrified looks (or the disgusted head shaking) from the British and Aussie passengers. I may reside in the US but I can't say I blame them. The whole tipping thing in the US is massively out of hand.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Okay. I'm tired of hiding. .........<edited for size; not content>

A gazillion thumbs up for the whole post!!

The maitre 'd is management. Management and Owners are never tipped

Several years ago I saw a break-down of where the tips go. The maitre d' is part of the tips pool. The tips are shared among all the cabin stewards, MDR waitstaff (including head waiters and maitre d') and other waiters. I am unable to guarantee that the distribution of tips hasn't changed.

I agree with the comment that the issue of tipping seems to have got out of hand in some areas. On the other hand, I am not convinced by some of the posts where people claim to be lavish tippers. They might be more talk than action. ;)

Okay. I'm tired of hiding. ....

I know that the topic of tipping has been discussed a lot, and I dig that it's not a fun topic for everyone. But, it's worth noting that I've actually learned a lot from this thread.

I've been on a handful of cruises, but until this thread, I couldn't answer basic questions like: Who is included in the auto tip pool, how much do other people tip beyond the auto tip, who do other people tip and how dependent upon service is that, do I need to tip, when should I tip (start, end, or throughout), and so on.

Honestly, a well written FAQ on tipping would be a great resource, but in the absence of that, I found this thread helpful.

Do you dress formally when you do all this tipping or is casual dress okay? :evilsmile:

Here's an option. . .just stop reading tipping threads.

We generally do not tip above and beyond the auto tip. However, my daughter has Crohn's and the waiter and head waiter were extremely fastidious with her dietary needs. So, we tipped the head waiter $50 (he did most of the work) and the waiter $40 for an 11 day cruise. We also filled out comment cards. Not a whole lot of money, just a token of our appreciation and hopefully they will get more kudos from their management. We cruise so that my daughter can have two safe meals a day and Regal Princess was the most accommodating (and conscientious) so far.

Edited by erinshehane
Wrong name

We generally do not tip above and beyond the auto tip. However, my daughter has Crohn's and the waiter and head waiter were extremely fastidious with her dietary needs. So, we tipped the head waiter $50 (he did most of the work) and the waiter $40 for an 11 day cruise. We also filled out comment cards. Not a whole lot of money, just a token of our appreciation and hopefully they will get more kudos from their management. We cruise so that my daughter can have two safe meals a day and Regal Princess was the most accommodating (and conscientious) so far.

Nice to read.

This is what the contract says

Nonetheless,to the extent passengers follow the suggested

contribution guidelines in whole or in part, or deliver their contribution to the Company or directly to any crew member(s), each and every crew member agrees that any such contribution is not his personal wage, but rather a contribution to the Discretionary Hotel and Dinning Charge Pool (The "Pool").

I've underlined the part that says they only have to contribute the cash they receive to the "Pool" up to the amount of the auto tip. So if you take off the tip and hand them cash they have to turn it in. If you take off part of the tip and give them extra cash they have to put in the amount to make up the difference.

I'd love to know where you got the idea that if I take off autotips and give my steward $5/day that he has to "make up" the difference between the autotip amount and the $5 for every day. You really believe that the steward is going to have to make up the $8.95 difference every day? That is one very weird interpretation of what you posted!

And, before you ask, no I do not remove autotips and usually we do tip extra.

Tom