New Policy at the Harmony - Deluxe Beverage Package

Hi, I heard that they are going to make a "test" in the period that I take the cruise on the 21st of October, if one on the same stateroom buy the Deluxe Beverage Package they'll charge automatically the second one. My wife doesn't drink any alcohol and she will buy the soda package. They'll charge anyway both? The second Ultimate Beverage Package and the soda package?? Unbelievable :(

Hi, I heard that they are going to make a "test" in the period that I take the cruise on the 21st of October, if one on the same stateroom buy the Deluxe Beverage Package they'll charge automatically the second one. My wife doesn't drink any alcohol and she will buy the soda package. They'll charge anyway both? The second Ultimate Beverage Package and the soda package?? Unbelievable :(

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Try buying one Deluxe package pre-cruise using your Cruise Planner. If the system allows you to purchase just one package, then you should be OK on board.

It has been reported here on CC that you couldn't select just one if there were two adults in the cabin for those specific sailings. I'd give it whirl and see what the results are.

No, they wouldn't charge both, because the Ultimate Beverage Package/Deluxe Beverage Package includes soda. But if your sailing is one of the ones in the test, yes, either all or none must purchase the beverage package. If your wife doesn't drink alcohol it would probably be financially "better" to purchase everything à la carte.....unless you plan on drinking about $100 USD of beverages every day between the two of you.

Doesn't sound right. I think you have been given bad information.

JC

Hi, JC. It's not a bud information. I couldn't select only one person. If you want a Deluxe Beverage Package, they charge automatically 2, although my wife doesn't drink any alcohol :(

I don't know anything about this test, and apparently you are on a test cruise. I would absolutely not book both packages for both of you. Only you know the level of drinking you want to do, but I would only book the ultimate since it includes sodas, fathering than booking four packages. That said, I don't think that they will hold you to booking for both people in a cabin on board.

That said. In 2015 I made a mistake booking the Liberty of the Seas sailing on February 28. I didn't think it would be a spring break cruise. I remember being in the MDR while a dumb college age kid, would order a drink every time the staff came to the table in the MDR at LUNCH.... it was obvious one of the 3 kids in the cabin bought the package and the others were just drinking his orders.

On a serious note, I would not book any packages if they were giving me the option you are saying they are giving you. Buy it ala carte, and have a good time on shore.

Good luck.

JC

I sincerely hope that Royal isn't going to change their current policy. I drink alcohol and my husband doesn't. We were VERY careful when I had the Deluxe Bev pkg on our last cruise to pay for any drink that he ordered. If I went to the bar and ordered a glass of wine for myself and a non-alcoholic beer for him, I made sure they charged my card for his N/A. One night at dinner when I ordered a glass of wine and he ordered his tonic and lime, the server forgot to take his card and when she returned to the table he reminded her that his tonic and lime was not included with my pkg and needed to be charged separately. She said not to worry, that his drink was "on her", but that was the only time on the entire cruise that we didn't pay for his drink. I have really appreciated Royal's allowing just one passenger in a cabin to buy a drink pkg and have gone to great lengths not to take advantage of it. I will be very disappointed if they change this policy.

Doesn't sound right. I think you have been given bad information.

JC

I sincerely hope that Royal isn't going to change their current policy. I drink alcohol and my husband doesn't. We were VERY careful when I had the Deluxe Bev pkg on our last cruise to pay for any drink that he ordered. If I went to the bar and ordered a glass of wine for myself and a non-alcoholic beer for him, I made sure they charged my card for his N/A. One night at dinner when I ordered a glass of wine and he ordered his tonic and lime, the server forgot to take his card and when she returned to the table he reminded her that his tonic and lime was not included with my pkg and needed to be charged separately. She said not to worry, that his drink was "on her", but that was the only time on the entire cruise that we didn't pay for his drink. I have really appreciated Royal's allowing just one passenger in a cabin to buy a drink pkg and have gone to great lengths not to take advantage of it. I will be very disappointed if they change this policy.

Some of you apparently missed the announcement and subsequent huge discussion here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518638