B2B and Seward

ms8654

Hi Everyone:

Next summer we are doing a B2B Alaska cruises with RCCL on the Radiance. Turn around day will be in Seward. We arrive at 5 am and leave that evening at 8 pm. This is our first B2B, so I'm not sure what to expect on that day in Seward. We are in the same cabin for both sailings, so we don't have any issue there. We would like to do some sort of excursion that day, but there are none schedule through RCCL, so I found one online. It leaves at 1130 and returns at 530 pm going to Kenai Fjords National Park Glacier and Wildlife Cruise. Is this doable? Again, I'm not sure the check out/in process for repeaters. I'm also not sure what time we have to be back onboard for muster drill. What has been your experience? Will this work or do I need to find something else to do that day?

Thank you in advance.

On a back to back cruise in a USA port like Seward all guests continuing on for the next sailing (in-transit guests) will have to be off the ship so that the ship can be cleared. Before the ship can be cleared for the next sailing they have to reach a zero count which means all guests are off the ship. Once this is done then the local officials will clear the ship and once that is done those who are in-transit can return. More then likely you will have to be off the ship at around 10:00 AM and the ship will be cleared by around 11:00 AM. At that point you could return. Other then that there are no other restrictions. You can check on the RCI Board to see how they handle the muster drill.

On the cruise line we sail we do not have to attend on the second cruise but not sure about RCI.

I don't see why you could not do the tour you have planned.

Another option which we have done in the past including last year on a Back to Back in Seward was to spend the day in Seward. We like to walk so we walked into town. We walked along the water in one direction and came back a different way on the return. We went to the Sea Life Center and visited a few other places around town.

Whatever you do have a wonderful time.

Keith

While I agree with most of Keith's info, the additional info is that if you, you will be allowed to exit the ship prior to the onboard meeting and clearing, if you wish to do your own thing, as in your case. You will be given specific instructions on board, but I doubt you will have any problems doing your private tour.

On a back to back cruise in a USA port like Seward all guests continuing on for the next sailing (in-transit guests) will have to be off the ship so that the ship can be cleared. Before the ship can be cleared for the next sailing they have to reach a zero count which means all guests are off the ship. Once this is done then the local officials will clear the ship and once that is done those who are in-transit can return. More then likely you will have to be off the ship at around 10:00 AM and the ship will be cleared by around 11:00 AM. At that point you could return. Other then that there are no other restrictions. You can check on the RCI Board to see how they handle the muster drill.

On the cruise line we sail we do not have to attend on the second cruise but not sure about RCI.

I don't see why you could not do the tour you have planned.

Another option which we have done in the past including last year on a Back to Back in Seward was to spend the day in Seward. We like to walk so we walked into town. We walked along the water in one direction and came back a different way on the return. We went to the Sea Life Center and visited a few other places around town.

Whatever you do have a wonderful time.

Keith

Keith,

We recently were on a B2B on Silver Shadow that had a turnaround day in Seward. Unlike other US ports, we did not have to leave the ship as this was an Alaskan cruise with all US ports except Vancouver, our port of departure. There were only 6 of us doing the B2B as everyone else left early that morning on the train to Anchorage. The train then returned that evening with all the new guests.

We did go ashore after lunch and like you, visited the Sea Life Center and walked around town and along the waterfront back to the ship. An enjoyable day.

Hi Everyone:

Next summer we are doing a B2B Alaska cruises with RCCL on the Radiance. Turn around day will be in Seward. We arrive at 5 am and leave that evening at 8 pm. This is our first B2B, so I'm not sure what to expect on that day in Seward. We are in the same cabin for both sailings, so we don't have any issue there. We would like to do some sort of excursion that day, but there are none schedule through RCCL, so I found one online. It leaves at 1130 and returns at 530 pm going to Kenai Fjords National Park Glacier and Wildlife Cruise. Is this doable? Again, I'm not sure the check out/in process for repeaters. I'm also not sure what time we have to be back onboard for muster drill. What has been your experience? Will this work or do I need to find something else to do that day?

Thank you in advance.

you will normally not have to do check in again. The cruise line will set up the stuff for the second week prior to arrival in Seward. Talk to Guest Services onboard.

I would definitely suggest doing a Kenai Fjords tour, that is our plan this coming June in Seward. Look at Major Marine (https://majormarine.com/) and Kenia Fjords Tours (http://www.kenaifjords.com/). They are two vendors.

Last time we were in Seward, we did the Sealife Center. It was fun. All my pictures from Seward are in my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2529761&page=4

Exit Glacier is an another option.

Get out and have fun. Take full advantage of the day.

Many cruisers coming into Seward on the morning train will be going on either the Major Marine or Kenai Fjords company cruises. Those two companies do the 6-hour cruises every day, which is why they are scheduled between the arrival of the train and the departure of the cruises.

We've done the Major Marine cruise and absolutely loved it. Their lunch is delicious, so be sure to add it to your booking.

I think the muster drill will probably begin somewhere around 7:30 or so.

This is a usual tour selection, however, this is the minimal Kenai Fjords tour I select, I usually will select the longer tour, that includes both Aialik and Holgate glaciers. Always my preference.

These ships clear very early, with the gang way being set by 6am. Repeaters- which I have done on RCI, simply stop at guest services and get a new key. IF you are in the same cabin- it depends what your key card states for the end date. it can be for the entire cruise or just the first week. You will get directions in your stateroom the day prior. I have done this several times- in Alaska. I am always off the ship early and out all day. Your "in transit" tag has you go right to security bypassing the check in counters. I board usually by 6:30p including again last month.

Keep an eye out for special discounts on these tours that sometimes pop up, including group on type deals. They are fewer than previous but do happen occasionally. This is a tour, I simply do over and over and over. Went out 4 times this year and every trip different. I will caution you to be realistic in the motion sickness risks, ALL 4 of my trips had sick passengers, with 2 trips, at least 1/3 of boat, many sick most of the trip, as example for this year. . In my experience, it's a given to always have some people ill on the trips- i have to be close to 50 trips at this point- with that 100% experience. Being prepared makes all the difference, Message boards aren't the place to get advice. :) Even over the counter drugs have side effects. Consulting health care providers which include your pharmisist are for your benefit and finding the best option for you.

ms8654: We spend 60 to 90 days a year on RC's sister line Celebrity. On Celebrity you are expected to be on the ship ninety minutes before sailing, which for you will be 6:30 PM. You also will process through US Immigration in Vancouver, so you will just walk off the ship on turnaround day.

Are you doing the 6 hour Major Marine tour? You could actually do the 8.5 hour tour from 9 AM to 5:30 PM. The check in building for Major Marine is on the opposite side of the small boat harbor from the cruise terminal. The cruise terminal is on one side of the small boat harbor with the check-in buildings for both Major Marine and Kenai Fjords Tours on the other. From the ship you will look over the small board harbor and see the Harbor 360 hotel on the right, and then Chinooks and Ray's Waterfront restaurants to its left. A little further to the left are the tour company buildings. There is a looping shuttle bus in Seward, and the cruise terminal is one of its stops. Just use "google" to find the route.

• 8 months later...
ms8654: We spend 60 to 90 days a year on RC's sister line Celebrity. On Celebrity you are expected to be on the ship ninety minutes before sailing, which for you will be 6:30 PM. You also will process through US Immigration in Vancouver, so you will just walk off the ship on turnaround day.

Are you doing the 6 hour Major Marine tour? You could actually do the 8.5 hour tour from 9 AM to 5:30 PM. The check in building for Major Marine is on the opposite side of the small boat harbor from the cruise terminal. The cruise terminal is on one side of the small boat harbor with the check-in buildings for both Major Marine and Kenai Fjords Tours on the other. From the ship you will look over the small board harbor and see the Harbor 360 hotel on the right, and then Chinooks and Ray's Waterfront restaurants to its left. A little further to the left are the tour company buildings. There is a looping shuttle bus in Seward, and the cruise terminal is one of its stops. Just use "google" to find the route.

Hello Northern Aurora,

I appreciated your detailed and 1st hand reply. We will be on the Millennium B2B this summer. Do you recall if Celebrity has any organized tours? The only tours I see in the shore excursion catalog end with a drop off at the Airport

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Hello Northern Aurora,

I appreciated your detailed and 1st hand reply. We will be on the Millennium B2B this summer. Do you recall if Celebrity has any organized tours? The only tours I see in the shore excursion catalog end with a drop off at the Airport

If you don't see any listings, I'd assume there aren't any. You do not need to involve Celebrity, anyway with any Seward touring. Very simple to just select and do what you want. http://www.seward.com

I'd do at least the longer 7.5 hour tour if it is available. I don't think you mentioned what month you are cruising. In mid-May this year, only the 6 hour was available.

Another option, would be to go to Exit Glacier (assuming you aren't there very early in the cruise season - I was there May 17 an was told it wasn't accessible yet) and visit the Alaska Sealfe Center in Seward. You could probably fit both those in along with spending some time along the waterfront looking for sea otters. I saw a cute pair doing synchronized swimming in the small boat harbor while I was having lunch.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Hello Northern Aurora,

We did a Millennium B2B last summer, but our itinerary was Seward to Vancouver (for the turnaround day) and then back to Seward to retrieve our vehicle for the LONG drive home to Fairbanks. But there is a thread now on the Celebrity Cruise Critic forum by a couple who did a Millennium B2B (Vancouver to Seward and then back to Vancouver). They are continuing to post on their thread, so they would be the best source to ask.

We were with a couple doing back to backs on the Radiance a few weeks ago. They were on the Major Marine Kenai Fjords tour with us that left at 11:30 am and returned at 5:30. We worried for them a little but they made it to the ship in plenty of time. We watched the Radiance sail away at 8 pm. As far as the muster drill, that’s a good question, but I assume it would be closer to sail time. I think the later sail time is to make sure everyone transporting to the ship makes it. You will have a wonderful time on the Radiance. And on the Major Marine tour. If you want an up close experience of Alaskan nature consider Adventure Bound in Juneau too.