Good deed never goes unpunished - inflammatory headline

Okay, I have been accused of many things, and maybe another will come along after this post.

But - what was "inflammatory" about this article?

It was suggestively inflammatory... "these people" fled on a luxury ship while the rest of you plebs suffered in shelters. They have unlimited booze and food, and you have a cold can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

It was suggestively inflammatory... "these people" fled on a luxury ship while the rest of you plebs suffered in shelters. They have unlimited booze and food, and you have a cold can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

Ah. I guess I did not read it that way. But, I see the point now.

Not sure which is worse - the newspaper with their somewhat misleading headline, or the folks that read it that way. No slams towards anyone... just a passing comment.

By the way, I did read some other posts that those with the booze package only got it for the original length of the cruise, then it went to a cash bar.

It is a bit sad and telling about todays news that they did not point out how NCL was taking care of passengers instead of dumping them in Miami.

Not sure which is worse - the newspaper with their somewhat misleading headline, or the folks that read it that way. No slams towards anyone... just a passing comment.

The newspaper is worse. It's the New York Post.

"Cruise line offers free housing and meals to its stranded passengers" -- better (more accurate, less inflammatory) headline...with a link to a Related Article in the story that describes the Norwegian Sky headed to St Thomas for a relief mission... (better journalism).

When are they going to report on the rescue mission the SKY is currently undergoing? Many are so grateful for what, the corporate world citizen, NCL is doing . Helping all they can , for those in harms way and those in need transport from devastated Virgin Islands.

Okay, I have been accused of many things, and maybe another will come along after this post.

But - what was "inflammatory" about this article?

I found absolutely nothing inflammatory about that article. Quite frankly, can't understand what all the huff huff is about. I thought it a very nice gesture to allow those passengers that lived in the area an opportunity to get off and do what they had to do to save their homes or escape in their cars, and at the same time others that don't live in the local area a chance to NOT BE STRANDED in a friggin' hurricane at NO CHARGE. :rolleyes:

The newspaper is worse. It's the New York Post.

"Cruise line offers free housing and meals to its stranded passengers" -- better (more accurate, less inflammatory) headline...with a link to a Related Article in the story that describes the Norwegian Sky headed to St Thomas for a relief mission... (better journalism).

We could hijack this thread to current politics :eek:

The only thing bad about the article is the headline. It has been reported on these boards that NCL allowed the UBP and SDP to last as long as the original cruise ONLY, and then everyone had to pay for alcohol and specialty dining.

This article is worse:

http://nypost.com/2017/09/11/those-who-fled-irma-on-cruise-boat-describe-awful-conditions/

And while it is true that it might have been nice for NCL to lower the price of internet or water, there is free drinkable water throughout the ship and if they are docked in Cozumel, people can follow the crew to see where it is cheap to make long distance phone calls and check their internet in Cozumel. I can understand being upset if they didn't have a choice about getting off the ship, but NCL did the right thing and let everyone who wanted to go home to Florida leave. Since I don't live in Florida, I'd have been very grateful to spend the hurricane safely in Cozumel on a cruise ship rather than being trapped with my kids in a school gymnasium waiting for the airports to reopen.

"Since I don't live in Florida, I'd have been very grateful to spend the hurricane safely in Cozumel on a cruise ship rather than being trapped with my kids in a school gymnasium waiting for the airports to reopen."

Or left your kids in a school gymnasium and you and the spouse take a few extra days on the boat. Pick them up when you get back.

This article is worse:

http://nypost.com/2017/09/11/those-who-fled-irma-on-cruise-boat-describe-awful-conditions/

And while it is true that it might have been nice for NCL to lower the price of internet or water, there is free drinkable water throughout the ship and if they are docked in Cozumel, people can follow the crew to see where it is cheap to make long distance phone calls and check their internet in Cozumel. I can understand being upset if they didn't have a choice about getting off the ship, but NCL did the right thing and let everyone who wanted to go home to Florida leave. Since I don't live in Florida, I'd have been very grateful to spend the hurricane safely in Cozumel on a cruise ship rather than being trapped with my kids in a school gymnasium waiting for the airports to reopen.

This article made me rage when I saw it! "It's hot and humid" in Cozumel?!? You're on a Caribbean cruise! What do you expect? And the article's title, talk about misleading! It's awful because the passenger is worried about her home, not because the cruise line is treating her poorly!

“It’s really frustrating and extremely humid and hot here,’’ said Smith, a freelance TV journalist who also griped that passengers were being gouged over bottled water — $54 for a 24-pack of Dasani — and Wi-Fi at $30 a day.

That's not what gouging means. Gouging is raising prices to the extreme during a specific period of high demand.

Those -- for the record -- are NCL's normal prices. And its Aquafina, not Dasani.

The NY Post are a bunch of sensationalist idiots.

I have a friend on board and he will be one of a group of six of us due to cruise on the Oasis out of Port Canaveral this Sunday. I expect some really interesting conversations at the dinner table. Trust me, if the conditions inside the ship were "hot and humid" he'd have mentioned it in one of the chats we've had on Messenger as we make alternate arrangements on hotels and transportation.

Of course it's hot and humid in Mexico, but perhaps the people who wrote this article didn't do very well in fourth grade Geography.