Winery tours

Has any one taken a private winery tour from Brisbane? I am worried about getting back to the ship in time and really want to do one.

I haven't heard about a private winery tour from Brisbane, but it would be some distance from the ship. Tamborine in the Gold Coast hinterland has wineries.

Queensland is not really known for it's wine or even wine regions, I would leave a winery tour for the more well known areas of Australia or NZ.

If you are really keen for wine and Brisbane is the furthest south you go in Australia, I suggest going to a Bar.

I haven't heard about a private winery tour from Brisbane, but it would be some distance from the ship. Tamborine in the Gold Coast hinterland has wineries.

And the Granite Belt, but that is way inland.:confused:

The cruise lines could be doing shorex to Mt Tambourine Wineries though.

As has been mentioned there are several excellent wineries in the Stanthorpe/Ballandean region but it is a fair drive from Brisbane. I estimate more than two hours from the port. Mt Tamborine is another spot for wineries, (Witches' Fall Winery and Cedar Creek Estates) but also a fair drive, but a bit closer than Stanthorpe/Ballandean.

Closer to Brisbane is Sirromet Winery at Mt Cotton on the southern outskirts of Brisbane. The grapes come from the Granite Belt (Stanthorpe/Ballandean) area. The Sirromet Winery has tastings and an excellent restaurant. This winery is well-renowned. On the northern outskirts of Brisbane there is a small winery, Ocean View winery. This is on the Mt Mee road northeast of Dayboro. Others are O'Reilly's Canungra Valley Vineyard, and a couple in the Montville and Maleny area, but these three are a bit further from Brisbane.

Queensland is not really known for it's wine or even wine regions, I would leave a winery tour for the more well known areas of Australia or NZ.

If you are really keen for wine and Brisbane is the furthest south you go in Australia, I suggest going to a Bar.

Great idea make mine a 4x Gold and a Pie and sauce.

LOL, sounds alright except the XXXX, make mine a Great Northern instead.:D

If the OP can't get to a Qld winery, they could always visit Dan Murphy.;p More wine than a winery in those places. I am like a kid in a lolly shop wandering around those, loading the trolley. Trouble is nearest ones to me are Bega and Nowra, both 1 hour and 45 minutes away.:evilsmile: We make it a big day out, buy the 3 monthly booze supply, bit of retail therapy, lunch and a country drive, way to go.

Good job I have a big boot in my Toyota Camry.

If the OP can't get to a Qld winery, they could always visit Dan Murphy.;p More wine than a winery in those places. I am like a kid in a lolly shop wandering around those, loading the trolley. Trouble is nearest ones to me are Bega and Nowra, both 1 hour and 45 minutes away.:evilsmile: We make it a big day out, buy the 3 monthly booze supply, bit of retail therapy, lunch and a country drive, way to go.

Good job I have a big boot in my Toyota Camry.

Dan Murphy's is great, although not much wine-tasting. On a cruise a couple of years ago I had 'met' a group of Americans here on CC. Our first port was Brisbane on an around Aust cruise. We hired a van and took the group on a sightseeing tour. The last stop was Dan Murphy's at Hamilton, not far from the Portside cruise terminal. Their eyes widened when they saw the range of drinks available and the prices.

Dan Murphy's is great, although not much wine-tasting. On a cruise a couple of years ago I had 'met' a group of Americans here on CC. Our first port was Brisbane on an around Aust cruise. We hired a van and took the group on a sightseeing tour. The last stop was Dan Murphy's at Hamilton, not far from the Portside cruise terminal. Their eyes widened when they saw the range of drinks available and the prices.

I bet it would have been like an Aussie at a Walmart for the first time.

Actually I have been in a Dan Murphys or two when they have wines on promotion, just inside the store, tastings freely available. Way to go.:p

With Dan Murphys, the more you buy the more you save.

Love Walmart in the US of A, great range, great prices.

BTW anyone see the you tube 'The people of Walmart?' I had better not go there, will be banned from CC and Walmart for life.:halo:

When we first moved to Melbourne we lived relatively close to the almost original Dan Murphy's shop -- with the original Dan Murphy. Amazing old Victorian ramshackle building in Chapel St Prahan called Prahan Arcade.

Having just returned from almost 6 years in the USA, it was like nothing I had experienced.

The brand is now owned by Woolies. They have opened a new version there now.

https://m.danmurphys.com.au/liquor-library/dan-murphys-cellar/prahran-cellar-history

Yes it was. Our first visit to a Walmart store was in Hawaii when we were on a cruise, round trip from Sydney. At that time Princess allowed passengers to take wine on board - no limit that we saw. The alcohol aisle in Walmart was choked with Aussies filling up their shopping trollies with booze. The locals couldn't get through the aisle. :D

Yes it was. Our first visit to a Walmart store was in Hawaii when we were on a cruise, round trip from Sydney. At that time Princess allowed passengers to take wine on board - no limit that we saw. The alcohol aisle in Walmart was choked with Aussies filling up their shopping trollies with booze. The locals couldn't get through the aisle. :D

I believe it, not just booze but lots of other great stuff as well.